Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warning: Don't build magma shops before the magma is re  (Read 1278 times)

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Warning: Don't build magma shops before the magma is re
« on: January 19, 2008, 08:46:00 pm »

Just a quick warning to help avoid losing a dwarf like I just did: wait until you've got the magma below the forge to the minimum level (4/7, I think) before allowing construction to complete on the workshop above.  It seems that if a strange mood dwarves claims the shop before it has magma, he instantly fails his quest and goes melancholy.  I've posted a bug report (since it seems strange to me that he wouldn't wait the normal amount for the forge to be activated).

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warning: Don't build magma shops before the magma is re
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 02:39:00 am »

I find that rather odd, because i had a magma forge with 0 magma in it, it was claimed, and then the dwarf proceeded to make his object as normal.

roguester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 10:21:00 am »

I had this happen. It occurs when the pool below the forge is filling up and it's between 3 and 4 deep. The magma goes up to 4 under the forge, then drops back to 3, causing all jobs in the forge to cancel. To avoid this, make sure the level is 4/7 to 5/7 before building the forge.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 12:12:00 am »

My magma channel is always at 7/7.  Of course, I had two dwarves die in its construction, but I find their noble sacrifice to have been entirely worth it.
My miner wasn't quite slow enough to outrun the magma, but I was prepared to lose him.  What really sucked was my only carpenter/woodcutter running and grabbing the flaming miner to drag him through the entire fortress to his room.  I locked the flaming miner in his room, but the carpenter ended up collapsing in the middle of the main workshop area.  His smoldering corpse provided unhappy thoughts for a rather ridiculous amount of time.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 12:17:00 am »

Heh, I have three 'mini tombs' in my fortress, built around the corpses of burning dwarves. It can be rather important to isolate smoldering corpses, even if you forbid them and restrict the square - vermin will catch fire and die, and dwarves will pick those up.

Sad be the fate of fortress Waterdepths, burned to the ground by a single rat.

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

mwoody450

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 08:59:00 pm »

Just happened to me AGAIN.  The magma is taking forever to travel across the map via my channels to the shops - it's still at 2/7 under the forge.  Metalcrafter dwarf hits the forge and goes stark raving mad immediately.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:03:00 pm »

Is magma still considered a "chunky" liquid, ow will it flow upwards if there's enough pressure?

Also, will it flow upwards through a square that's been plugged by a magma workshop?

I've never actually made it to magma, so I'd like to know these things...

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 09:10:00 pm »

Magma does not flow upwards (u-bend trickery excluded).
Your magma workshop is safe to sit above a channel of magma.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday