Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.40.24] Can't load save or backups  (Read 720 times)

onijim

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[0.40.24] Can't load save or backups
« on: September 26, 2015, 07:17:55 pm »

Hi,

I've lost two forts to save corruption now.  Using the Starter Pack r16.  Phoebus graphics, workflow and autolabor enabled on DFHack panel. 
It gets to "Loading tracking information..." or sometimes "Loading world information..." and then I get an unhandled exception about std::length.

Tried mucking around a good bit with Visual Studio debugger but my assembly-fu is weak.  I found this topic http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=138203.0 which seems to be the same error I have but not sure if its the same type of cause.  The guy helping the OP in that thread somehow figured out exactly what the issue was...

I'm hoping someone can help me figure out whats wrong with my save like that guy did.  I'd be eternally grateful.  Its only a few years in but I'm really happy with it...  I've uploaded it to DFFD here:  http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=11163

Should also mention I have compressed saves off (turned it off after last time this happened), seasonal autosave (turned it on likewise) and backup saves (ditto).  After about the first year or so, this same crash happens with all the autosaves, backups, etc.  Real bummer...

I realize its probably some DFHack plugin doing this.  So if I can at least get some hints as to how to figure out what's wrong with the save, like in the topic I posted, that would be very helpful.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.24] Can't load save or backups
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 05:39:27 pm »

Do you save your game with the internal save game function, or with DFHack's "quicksave"? The internal save is bugged and will eventually corrupt your world, but quicksave is not.

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 03:11:00 am »

Yeah, if you want a backup you have to save your file to a flashdrive, rename it, then move it back to the folder which will interfere with using the update feature. I've had a lot of problems with the latest release; I've stuck to using 14 which fortunately I didn't delete.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 01:47:18 pm »

Yeah, if you want a backup you have to save your file to a flashdrive, rename it, then move it back to the folder which will interfere with using the update feature. I've had a lot of problems with the latest release; I've stuck to using 14 which fortunately I didn't delete.

If you want a backup, you can copy the appropriate region folder (region1, 2, whatever), over to another folder somewhere else. Perhaps name this other folder "Backup saves" so you don't lose it.

That's literally all that you have to do. DFHack's autosave and the automatic seasonal autosave are not bugged, and work perfectly fine. Just don't hit escape in-game and choose "Save game".

De

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 02:44:19 pm »

My laptop's old and won't let me make copies, it's annoying as hell. If I want to make a copy it's just easier to use a flashdrive. Also if said decrepit laptop dies I'll have my fortresses to console me.
Don't pay attention to the body piles in every fort I play, I swear I'm competent at this game.