Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: pretentious sleeping arrangements  (Read 3162 times)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: pretentious sleeping arrangements
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 03:01:00 pm »

I've also gotten this compliant, and my response was:

"As though it weren't bad enough that you're jealously whining about rooms when I've already given you one two grades above what you need, you can't even be bothered to tell me which bedroom or even which dwarf has got your knickers in a twist?  Sod that for a game of goblins!"

"I notice you're still 'ecstatic'.  Staying happy is a very good idea, noble; nobles that stay happy stay alive."

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

flight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2007, 07:05:00 am »

I have a new game where everyone gas exactly the quality room they request... and I still get the message. I just downgraded my barracks to be meager, so I guess I will wait a year and see if the nobles are still annoyed. If so, then there is no pleasing them.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2007, 12:45:00 am »

This is probably not so feasible in the early game, but I normally only make my "main" mason make blocks and coffins and thrones and tables, maybe a few doors, and make those with less than Novice in mason (easier after the manager comes) to churn out doors, coffers and cabinets, 99% of the time they turn out to be normal furniture with no quality whatsoever.

I do the same with carpenters, this is better after you got lots of peasants, or in my case, too many miners/masons/carpenters/etc (I like to have at most 7 of each profession, except miners because I only want to train legendary ones), so all the rest becomes mason/carpenters and make all the crappy items. Once they get to novice mason + carpenter I draft them into the army or the fortress guard.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2007, 05:12:00 pm »

I prefer to have at most 5 of any profession (excepting military, peasants, and farmers).  Any immigrant over that limit becomes a farmer. =)

Mechanics I usually consign to a limit of around one or two, simply because I prefer meeting enemies head on instead of with trap arrays (I still feel as though traps should obstruct tiles for everyone except people who aren't aware of them, owing to my beliefs on the terrain scale).  Metalsmiths also don't exceed around one or two until I start getting my metalsmithing economy going.  I never keep more than two jewellers around since they do nothing except decorate things or occasionally kill themselves asking for diamonds, sapphires, and rubies.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin
Pages: 1 [2]