Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: pretentious sleeping arrangements  (Read 3161 times)

flight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
pretentious sleeping arrangements
« on: August 30, 2007, 09:30:00 pm »

OK, all my nobles are annoyed because my mason went legendary very early and all the peons have masterwork doors and furniture, making even the cheapest quarters "modest". Do I need to downgrade all my weenies in order to make my nobles happy?

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: pretentious sleeping arrangements
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 09:52:00 pm »

It's because the value of some non-noble's room is higher than theirs. Just dump some statues or other fancy crap in their rooms. I don't even think it affects anything beyond nobles being ever more annoying.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

or if a non-noble has a more fancy room than they should.

flight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 07:30:00 am »

Right, so as I said I need to downgrade all of my regular dwarf quarters to meager. Unfortunately a masterwork door and bed already make it better than that meaning I need to take the long process of having only inexperienced dwarves make replacement doors and beds, right? I don't think I can just make the nobles' rooms better because new nobles will come who want better rooms than that, etc etc until I can't fulfill someone's request.

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 07:50:00 am »

I find that unless you screw something up really bad, nobles will always be ecstatic, even with that negative. The fact that they have awesome quarters, dining room, office, and random statues and things that they like generally offsets just about any negative.

Don't worry about it too much really.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 09:34:00 am »

introduce the whingers to new quarters with indoor plumbing. That should shut them up.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

flight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 10:03:00 am »

The nobles are generally ecstatic, but I take it as a challenge to purge the bad thoughts. Would this problem be helped if I wasn't assigning sleeping quarters, and just let my dwarves choose?

If I wanted to keep anyone from having a bad thought about this would I need to give everyone exactly the quality sleeping arrangements they require?

My broker requires meager quarters, this being the lowest. Does this mean he will have a bad thought about all the other nobodies who are also sleeping in meager quarters?

Do barracks count against this? Just the fact that the room is sizeable and has several beds elevates it in level a bit.

lastly, even my high level nobles are annoyed about pretentious sleeping arrangements, yet they have the best quarters in the place barring one of my Legendary dwarves (who are not supposed to count towards this). Are they just annoyed for the lower nobles who are sleeping on equal terms with their lessers?

Thanks.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 11:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by flight:
<STRONG>Would this problem be helped if I wasn't assigning sleeping quarters, and just let my dwarves choose?.</STRONG>

no.

quote:
<STRONG>If I wanted to keep anyone from having a bad thought about this would I need to give everyone exactly the quality sleeping arrangements they require?.</STRONG>

i think you can still overbuild the nobles.  not sure.

quote:
<STRONG>My broker requires meager quarters, this being the lowest. Does this mean he will have a bad thought about all the other nobodies who are also sleeping in meager quarters?.</STRONG>

no, i dont think so.

quote:
<STRONG>Do barracks count against this? Just the fact that the room is sizeable and has several beds elevates it in level a bit..</STRONG>

i had everyone sleeping in legendary barracks, and never had the nobles complain about pretentious sleeping arangements.

quote:
<STRONG>lastly, even my high level nobles are annoyed about pretentious sleeping arrangements, yet they have the best quarters in the place barring one of my Legendary dwarves (who are not supposed to count towards this). Are they just annoyed for the lower nobles who are sleeping on equal terms with their lessers?</STRONG>

huh.  maybe i was wrong, above.  or maybe theyre complaining about commoners with overfancy rooms.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 12:04:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>The nobles are generally ecstatic, but I take it as a challenge to purge the bad thoughts.</STRONG>

Try magma!

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »

I think by viewing the "Nobles" screen and the individual Nobles arrangements you can determine who's being "pretentious." Nobles with accommodations higher than their peers will have those appear in light blue/cyan above their rooms.

At least, that's what I think that's for. I can't seem to find a reference to it on the wiki.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

flight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

I think the cyan is for when you provide them with something they do not require at all, like a tomb for a broker, not better than what they require.

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2007, 11:45:00 am »

I always read it as white was a satisfied requirement, and cyan was above and beyond.

flight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 12:39:00 pm »

Well, when I provide Decent Quarters for someone who only requires Meager Quarters, it comes up as white. When I then provide them with a grave, which they do not require, it comes up as cyan.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 12:50:00 pm »

I've got some non-nobles in modest quarters and the nobles don't seem to mind. I think it's because I give all the masterworks to nobles and use non-masterwork furniture in all my standard housing.

flight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »

Yeah, I think it is only a problem when the lower class has better accommodations than the upper classes. The problem is that I think when you have every noble you will be have each level of room quality requested, so I don't think you can inflate everyone.

But it does lead to the questions, if noble A needs a better room than noble B, will noble A be happy with a slightly better room that falls into the same label?

Say they each had a modest room of exactly the same value, and then I give noble A another weapon rack. His grade stays the same, but will he be satisfied that he has a better room than noble B?

Pages: [1] 2