Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The World, Genesis, OOC (Interest Check)  (Read 3293 times)

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
Re: The World, Genesis, OOC (Interest Check)
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 08:54:16 am »

In. Will make sheet later
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 09:01:45 am »

So, question!

Since I'm a machine god, I was thinking I want to create machine people with manifest, and then give them an animating intelligence with power. How would that work?
Hm... that is indeed a bit of a puzzle.

I'm thinking conditions on the stats.
Fertility -> Fertility (Assembly)
Life -> Life (Powered, Robotic)

Assembly makes them reproduce by making new ones, and dependent on access to materials to.
Powered makes them a 50% construct of Power rather than Essence.
Robotic makes them a 50% construct of Manifest rather than Essence.
Also, they can't be possessed and drained in order to regain Essence, as they're Powered Robotics.

But since your Aspect is Machinery and your god is clearly mechanic, there could be a condition.
You can use Essence to make Powered and Machinery, but you can't create life.
You can only possess and drain creatures with Powered and/or Robotic (50% efficiency if one, 100% if both).
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 09:12:45 am »

That works.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 09:23:47 am »

That works.
I like such conditions on gods.
While you can make more creatures in a turn (3x more, because you have more resources you can use to do so), you sacrifice your ability to make and drain life in order to do so.

Edit: But that would mean they would have to have other ways of feeding themselves.
So instead of eating food, there could be either consuming 100% materials, or 50% material + 50% Power.
Aka. They have to use some of the power they're to grant you, slowing your gain of Power from them.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:27:11 am by Happy Demon »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 09:32:46 am »

Edit: But that would mean they would have to have other ways of feeding themselves.
So instead of eating food, there could be either consuming 100% materials, or 50% material + 50% Power.
Aka. They have to use some of the power they're to grant you, slowing your gain of Power from them.
Couldn't they just like, eat fuel or something? Oil, wood, coal etc.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 09:38:08 am »

Couldn't they just like, eat fuel or something? Oil, wood, coal etc.
Well, that's a possibility.
Hm...

Life (Powered, Robotic) -> Life (Powered, Robotic, Combustion Fueled)

Combustion Fueled will make them reliant on burning matter to keep them going, making them use wood-, coal-, oil-, and poo-powered (that s*** burns) combustion to keep themselves going.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 09:47:46 am »

However much better is a stat of 10 than a stat of 1 really? For example, how would a human with 10 intelligence compare to one with 1?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:19:47 am by Demonic Spoon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 10:17:31 am »

However much better is a stat of 10 than a stat of 1 really? For example, how would a human with 10 intelligence compare to one with 1?
Well, considering stats are currently at D&D levels (1=10).
2 would be at the best of human ability, 3 would be demigod level, 5 would be pretty divine.
So I guess 10 would be Greater Divine level, being able to invent things on a whim, or even capable of doing things that should be impossible.

There's not really any mechanic for inventing, the numbers are more a general guideline at the moment.
There's a bit of predictability, but I control tech progression.
Your 10 intelligence race could be caught up with by a 0.1 race, it depends on dice rolls and how I feel about it.
I tend to favor innovation in times of need, a group of fishers will develop better methods and techs for fishing.

That's what Skill and Intelligence is for. Skill is the individual, a race with high skill has their people amass skills faster, so a fisher becomes a master fisher much faster.
Intelligence is the tech, if you fish a lot, people will start to develop tech for that. Though that would have lower yield because it's only a part time job.
Communication and communities will aid in tech progression.

So if you wall yourself off and send all the people to the academy, there will be innovation at first. But the lack of activity in other professions will lead to stagnation.
Not to mention, commissions also help, make a person send in a request for better tools from the wise guys, who have time to experiment.

In fact, it's likely that you'll lose some people to starvation at first, as the techs start popping up. Then you can start assigning people to things other than food gathering.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 10:19:34 am »

Further extreme (but still possible) examples, how large would a people with size 100 be and how powerful would a race with magic 1000 be?

What does the "Life" category signify exactly?

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 10:45:39 am »

Further extreme (but still possible) examples, how large would a people with size 100 be and how powerful would a race with magic 1000 be?

What does the "Life" category signify exactly?
Well, that's the kind of numbers that can't really be done. I'll have to cap it at 0.1-10 for now, there's a lot that can be done with it already.

As for the Life category. It's a body thing.
Body is determined by Size * Life.
So a creature with Size 2 and Life 2 will consume 4 times as much as someone with Size 1 and Life 1.
Life is power, muscles, fat, meat.
It also decides how well you regain Essence when possessing and draining them.

So a big and powerful body will be great for recovering Essence.
But it'll also take a lot of food to feed it, so you could have a suicide cult based around being eaten by that giant which is their god and creator.
Cannibalism is going to be a thing.

If you make a body with 1 on all except Size and Life (which will be 10), that will cost 0.1 Essence, grant 0.1 Essence every turn with long-term draining, or 1 Essence in a single turn.
But you'll have to have it eat 100 creatures worth to keep it up, so that's where the suicide cult comes in.
Do bear in mind you can only possess once a turn, so you can at max get 1 Essence per turn.
But a lot of god will notice your auto-cannibalism, and may find it... not pretty.

You can make the Essence body you possess have 0.1 on several other points, but there's side effects to that.
If Sacrifice or Worship is lower than 1, it'll slow down the yield of Power and Manifest. Having Worship higher than 1 only increases the worship you get from that one creature.
Having Sacrifice higher than 1 will increase the Power gain from every Sacrifice you do, but you'll have to do that personally.
Defense and Attack lower than 1 will be a bad idea, Magic lower than 1 makes it harder to do stuff. Fertility, Intelligence, and Skill will not be able to go below 1, no matter what.

This will make it possible to make a body with great sacrifice skill, but that's you, inside that expensive body, ripe for capturing and sacrificing.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2015, 10:54:19 am »

Well, that's the kind of numbers that can't really be done. I'll have to cap it at 0.1-10 for now, there's a lot that can be done with it already.
Well there's one idea I was toying around with to create a race of star-eaters...

As for the Life category. It's a body thing.
Body is determined by Size * Life.
So a creature with Size 2 and Life 2 will consume 4 times as much as someone with Size 1 and Life 1.
Life is power, muscles, fat, meat.
It also decides how well you regain Essence when possessing and draining them.
That's... incredibly vague?

If you make a body with 1 on all except Size and Life (which will be 10), that will cost 0.1 Essence, grant 0.1 Essence every turn with long-term draining, or 1 Essence in a single turn.
Is Size 10 * Life 10 big enough to eat stars?
But you'll have to have it eat 100 creatures worth to keep it up, so that's where the suicide cult comes in.
Do bear in mind you can only possess once a turn, so you can at max get 1 Essence per turn.
Wait, why do you need 100 creatures? Creating one maxed out creature costs 0.1 essence, and gives a return of 1 essence. You can create a creature, possess it, drain it dry in one turn, and then repeat the process ad infinitum.

But a lot of god will notice your auto-cannibalism, and may find it... not pretty.
The only way to gain essence is to possess creatures so I don't really get how they can have a problem with it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:04:13 am by Demonic Spoon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2015, 12:00:28 pm »

Hm... I haven't fully decided on anything, and may tweak the calculations later.
It went well until the income part.
I plan on starting to accept people tomorrow, and maybe starting the game the day after that.
But I may just delay starting until Monday.

As for everything...

Star eaters is a no-no. That's something you may get if you eat all the other gods. And even then, it's really not fitting the setting.
Seriously, not even Ye Gods has something like that, and that has bigger stuff.

Size 10 is 10 times human size, Life 10 is a really fat/tasty creature.
Basically you're a walking buffet.

Also, you have to feed the creature, or else it'll starve before you get the chance to drain it.
Also, the most quick way to fully drain a creature is to have it eat itself while you're draining it.
Which is quite a sight to behold, as the land whale gorges on a hundred people before eating itself and dying.

Also, they can just snipe the land-whale before you get the chance to drain it, wasting your turn. While you still lose people which it ate.

Not to mention, you can't get more than 1 Essence unless you find some sort of way to increase the cap.

I'm also thinking making a regeneration, a slow one, but one nonetheless.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2015, 12:11:56 pm »

I'm not getting this "eat 100" thing you keep mentioning. Explain?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:23:22 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2015, 01:20:44 pm »

I'm not getting this "eat 100" thing you keep mentioning. Explain?
A size 1 life 1 creature eats 1*1, aka. 1.
A size 10 life 10 creature eats 10*10 aka. 100.

Even if the creature only lasts for 1 turn, in which you drain it. Draining isn't instant, so you'll have to keep them alive until the draining process is completed.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 01:29:42 pm »

Actually, I'll just tweak the numbers some more.
A creature of 10 size and 10 life gives 1 Essence per turn possessed, but good luck keeping that thing alive.
You'll have to make people to feed it, and then feed enough people to support such a system.
And hunting is a hopeless endeavor, as land-whales can be seen from far away, not to mention them having their own gravitational field.

So the formula for Essence gain is 0.001 * Size * Life2, so life is the most important piece.

But I might tweak some numbers to make long term feasible.
Currently the only viable strategy is land-whaling, there must be some way to have a normal person be a viable alternative.

Edit: Maybe...

Essence Gain = 0.1(Size)*Life = 0.1 for human, 10 for land-whale. A bit too big a difference.
Essence Gain = 0.1(Life) = 0.1 for human, 1 for land-whale. But that makes Life the only factor.
Essence Gain = 0.5(Size)*0.5(Life) = 0.25 for human, 25 for land-whale. No, too big.
Essence Gain = 0.5(Size)+0.5(Life) = 0.2 for human, 10 for land-whale. Close, but no cigar.

Edit 2: Maybe, it's a bit harsh, but maybe.

Stat Cost = X2
This makes Land-whales cost 10 Essence, rather than 0.1 Essence.

Essence Gain = 0.001*Size*Life2 = 0.001 for human, 1 for land-whale, no, not good enough.
Essence Gain = 0.1*Size*Life2 = 0.1 for human, 100 for land-whale, a bit too much in the land-whale department.
Essence Gain = 0.1*Size*Life = 0.1 for human, 10 for land-whale. Actually, Life will also give HP bonus and disease resistance, so why not.
But what about the quick-drain?

Quick Drain: Restores 0.001*Size*Life, but doesn't take an entire turn.
But then in order to restore 1 Essence... that's 1 000 people, who they just made. But they could make potentially cattle to do so.
Then again, there might be vampires.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:57:33 pm by Happy Demon »

Pages: 1 [2] 3