Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The World, Genesis, OOC (Interest Check)  (Read 3289 times)

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
The World, Genesis, OOC (Interest Check)
« on: September 23, 2015, 07:26:19 am »

Let's see how this will go, let's make a god game.

A god game of sorts, just a bit nerfed.
You'll take control of a weak divine creature (1 in each resource, instead of 10), and will have to work from there.
So, the basics.
Spoiler: A bit of setting (click to show/hide)
You have 3 resources, Essence, Manifest, and Power.
At first, you may want to create a planet, give it life, and make a race to worship you, but let's get a bit technical on what that means.
Spoiler: Creation Templates (click to show/hide)
So anyway, the sheets.
Spoiler: Divine Template (click to show/hide)
So just sign up and wait for approval, I'll probably start it soon.
Or I may just never start it at all, I'm rather new to the game hosting after all.

You could either team up to make something great, or remain splintered, and battle among each other.
Your choice.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
Re: The World, Genesis, OOC (Interest Check)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 07:27:03 am »

Reserved.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 07:27:38 am »

Reserved.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 07:36:06 am »

Name: Bambar
Aspect: Vigilance
Icon: A bleeding horse.
Form: A human male garbed in lamellar and hardened leather, a bow and quiver is always on his person. His face changes with the season, progressing from a boy to an old man within the span of a decade, before the cycle repeating itself once more.
History:
History? My dear, today we make history.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:48:39 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 07:43:51 am »

What exactly does the sacrifice category imply? The created creatures are more valuable as sacrifices, or are better at performing sacrifices?

Name: Mechanicus
Aspect: Machines
Icon: Two interlocking gears
Form: A dizzying array of clockwork, crackling with arcs of electricity, and bejeweled with chained rainbows.
History:
Mechanicus is a refugee, fleeing from a universe overcome by rampant emotions and tides of ravenous flesh. Now he would ensure that in this universe, the excesses of emotion and flesh are kept firmly under control. Only the logic of the machine could be trusted, could be relied upon not to cause him to need to flee yet another universe to escape from death.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 07:54:43 am by Demonic Spoon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 07:50:40 am »

What exactly does the sacrifice category imply? The created creatures are more valuable as sacrifices, or are better at performing sacrifices?

Name: Mechanicus
Aspect: Machines
Icon: Two interconnected gears
Form: A dizzying array of clockwork, crackling with arcs of electricity, and bejeweled with chained rainbows.
History:
Mechanicus fled, fled from a universe overcome by rampant emotions and tides of flesh. Now he would he would ensure that in this universe, the excesses of emotion and flesh are kept firmly under control. Only the logic of the machine could be trusted, could be relied upon not to cause him to need to flee yet another universe, or perish.
Better at the sacrificial rituals, as the live sacrifice could either be of animals or people.
Sacrificing people does grant more power, but they're also going to be less numerous (and the power attained is based on the Essence used for creating the creature).

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 07:52:16 am »

Okay, so no creating a race of livestock with high sacrifice value for my people to make use of in their sacrifices?

EDIT: If I'm understanding this correctly, the creation template for races seems to break down if you make one of the values (say magic) 0.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:05:12 am by Demonic Spoon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 08:05:58 am »

Okay, so no creating a race of livestock with high sacrifice value for my people to make use of in their sacrifices?
Nope. You can't game the system that easily.

Besides, if you did find a way to game the system, I could just alter the mechanics of the system (the mechanics of the universe may change).
It's a concept I really like, and helps to combat power gaming.

But hopefully I wont need to change anything, so that the system remains (somewhat) predictable.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 08:09:24 am »

Besides, if you did find a way to game the system, I could just alter the mechanics of the system (the mechanics of the universe may change).

But hopefully I wont need to change anything, so that the system remains (somewhat) predictable.
...okay? I thought having the sacrifice trait be for making good animals for sacrifice was a pretty neat idea, which is why I wanted to confirm that's how it works. Having your god have a sacred animal that he prefers to be sacrificed to his glory seems perfectly reasonable. Like say azure pigeons or whatever.

EDIT: If I'm understanding this correctly, the creation template for races seems to break down if you make one of the values (say magic) 0.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as is it's perfectly possible to game the sacrifice mechanic btw.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:12:52 am by Demonic Spoon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 08:18:15 am »

...okay? I thought having the sacrifice trait be for making good animals for sacrifice was a pretty neat idea, which is why I wanted to confirm that's how it works. Having your god have a sacred animal that he prefers to be sacrificed to his glory seems perfectly reasonable. Like say azure pigeons or whatever.

If you have a favored animal for sacrifice, that would open the possibility to just make tons of them.
Then you'd have gamed the system to use Essence to get a ton of Power every turn.
That would just wreck the game.

As for the template being unable to handle a zero value...

That's because the creation template is for creations, or rather, humanoid creatures.
A humanoid creature can't have 0 in any of it's values.
If you want to make animals, that's going to be somewhat different.

I may have to create a separate template for that.
Not to mention if people want to make ghosts, star people, or such.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 08:23:28 am »

As for the template being unable to handle a zero value...

That's because the creation template is for creations, or rather, humanoid creatures.
A humanoid creature can't have 0 in any of it's values.
If you want to make animals, that's going to be somewhat different.

I may have to create a separate template for that.
Not to mention if people want to make ghosts, star people, or such.

Why can't humans have 0 in magic? Is having at least some ability in magic mandatory? If so, why? Even if you can't make it zero, you can make it an arbitrarily small number, like 0.00001, so the system is still broken.

If you have a favored animal for sacrifice, that would open the possibility to just make tons of them.
Then you'd have gamed the system to use Essence to get a ton of Power every turn.
That would just wreck the game.
I'm sorry, but I'm still failing to see how this will wreck the game. Basically, it's opportunity cost. You're making animals to be sacrificed, so you can get power, but as a result, are not using that essence to make worshipers to get manifest.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and as is it's perfectly possible to game the sacrifice mechanic btw.
To illustrate, since you seem concerned about someone abusing the sacrifice mechanic. Since people give higher sacrifice bang per buck than animals, we'll assume that int 1 is required for something to be considered a person, so keep int at one, make all other values low, except for fertility which we make high.

Then make masses of the near useless new race that are nevertheless valuable as sacrifices.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:25:43 am by Demonic Spoon »

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 08:37:28 am »

The numerical increments in in tenths (for now), you can only go to 0.1, and doing so will not only reduce casting ability, but also effect.
A creature with 0.1 magic will be less affected by Power effects, such as blessings or curses.

If you make creatures with low on everything but value as sacrifices, that would make you able to create a million of them, sacrifice them, and destroy all other worlds (and be a colossal jerk, because unlimited lasers).

The reason people give more, is that people cost more. So you could sacrifice animals, or you could conquer another god's kingdom and mass sacrifice their people for quick Power gain.
I said it was cost related, so any cheap race would yield less Power as sacrifices.

Also, if you made a ton of people, that would mean feeding a ton of people, yes, food will be a factor, otherwise they'll eat each other.
And sacrificed people can't be eaten, so you can't just sacrifice all the creatures they are to eat.
Well, you can, but that would reduce the yield (I'm thinking half yield).

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 08:40:32 am »

If you make creatures with low on everything but value as sacrifices, that would make you able to create a million of them, sacrifice them, and destroy all other worlds (and be a colossal jerk, because unlimited lasers).
Except you just explained why that doesn't work in the rest of your post?  ??? (Cheap race gives less yield)
The reason people give more, is that people cost more. So you could sacrifice animals, or you could conquer another god's kingdom and mass sacrifice their people for quick Power gain.
I said it was cost related, so any cheap race would yield less Power as sacrifices.
Informative!

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 08:46:38 am »

Except you just explained why that doesn't work in the rest of your post?  ??? (Cheap race gives less yield)
That was meant as a reason for why having a stat for their usefulness as sacrifice is a bad idea.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 08:47:57 am »

That was meant as a reason for why having a stat for their usefulness as sacrifice is a bad idea.
Yeah sorry I realized that just now, that was a derp on my part.

So, question!

Since I'm a machine god, I was thinking I want to create machine people with manifest, and then give them an animating intelligence with power. How would that work?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:49:30 am by Demonic Spoon »
Pages: [1] 2 3