Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing out corpses  (Read 2171 times)

10terrapin01

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS] [DF_HACK:APPALLING][USE_EXPLOIT:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Fishing out corpses
« on: September 19, 2015, 11:29:15 pm »

So my fort has been running for quite a while and the main path through snakes over a river.  Unfortunately some dwarves have decided that life isn't worth living and have decided to leap off some of the bridges.  While I have engraved slabs to stave off ghosts, dwarves are getting upset seeing a river filled with their drowned brethren.  The river does not freeze during winter.  Any tips for how to remove the bodies?

(There are 12 dwarf-corpses in the river in 8 locations.  Bodies.  Everywhere.)
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Fishing out corpses
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 12:20:20 am »

There are 2 solutions to this problem that I employ with pretty good results.

1. Pave over the bodies.  Build floor tiles over the offending corpses, and they should be hidden from your Dwarve's view.

2. Use pumps to drain small sections of the river, then build walls.  This will allow you to safely dig your way into the river bed and retrieve the corpses.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 02:18:11 am »

Pumping in open water is tricky because the pumped out water generate waves that can sweep the pumper into the water, so additional walls are needed to avoid that. You could also send the pumped water off the map to avoid waves.
Another alternative is to use magma to obsidianize the water around each body, then pump the water out to retrieve the body (but I think you need two tile holes, as I don't think you can build stairs on top of the body. This goes for the pure pumping approach as well).

I'd guess the dead dorfs tried to dodge something that attacked them. If so, building walls on the bridges could reduce the frequency (there is still quantum mechanical dodge tunneling, but a thickness of 3 is probably sufficient to stave off all of them). You could also try to eliminate the cause of the dodges.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 02:35:25 am »

I don't think he actually needs the bodies, so just obsidianizing them would probably work.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 05:51:27 am »

I think the easiest way to dam a river is by using water wheels to drive pumps that pump the water upstream (back into the river).

I'll try to setup a working example, one minute

Edit: three lessons learned: (1) pumps need to be 5 tiles from edge; (2) you should wall off the upstream section with bridges; (3) the water wheels should not be downstream from the pumps (all pretty obvious, I guess)
Edit: more lessons: (1) it's easier to build walls than to build a bridge (2) manual pumping goes well until the dwarves decide it's bedtime - causing the people building the dam to be drowned :(

OK, I figured it out, and since there didn't seem to be a good wiki article I made one: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Damming
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 08:39:59 am by vanatteveldt »

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 07:57:06 am »

1) With a few additional works (walls to guide the pumped out water away) pumps from above should work well. With powered pumps (windmill should work fine as well for only a few pumps) no pumper risks being washed away, still guiding away the water is probably a good idea.

2) There is also the option to drain by channeling from below. (Digging an upramp standing on grates protecting the miners from being washed away into the prepared drainage. Leave area through door from the side.) This does work, but is risky when anything might punch through the few roof-only tiles (trees, other cave in potential).

3) Obsidianification with magma can be used not only to destroy corpses, but to directly build a dam and drain the whole river downstream. Once you mastered moving magma with minecarts this might be the way that leaves the least scars in the landscape.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2015, 10:41:23 am »

Just going to throw it out there that there should really be river floods during rainy seasons and/or spring runoff from snow. And underground rivers that flood, like the old days. Preferably, underground rivers that fill completely and create pressure that can turn your fort into a dwarven geyser.

There also really should be drought years when the water is low enough for your dwarves to walk through, or completely gone, which is more on the topic of this thread.

Either way, basically right now, things stay put at the bottom of a river. Is that realistic?

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 04:08:23 pm »

Yeah I sometimes really don't understand Toady's priority either, but I guess it's his decision to make. I'm sure it's more intellectually satisfying to have a dynamic world going on, but there are so many little things that would improve fortress mode so much more... I've never played the 2d mode but I'm not even convinced that I really like a lot of the 3d aspects that much, and the way that the sliced 2d interface works I usually take flat embarks with flat caverns because I just can't be bothered.

It's a shame that DF is not an open source project with so many geeks hanging around this side... and given the donation-based "business model" it might as well be
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:09:56 pm by vanatteveldt »

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2015, 08:38:25 pm »

*shrug* It is what it is.

If you're going to have bodies in your river on a regular basis, I'd suggest something more... permanent. Sewers, for example.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Darn thing saved my drowning dwarves countless of times.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 04:28:50 am »

You could also dig under the river upstream from the bodies and bulld an unlimited drain into an aquifer cave or off the map. Then build floors above the river and have them cave in to pierce the river floor.
Don't forget the necessary safety measures so you can stop the water flow wherever and whenever necessary...

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 01:33:59 pm »

I find the inability to get things out of a body of water to be a missing feature, and feel no guilt using autodump to move the items to the shoreline.

Avin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 03:01:49 pm »

Pumping out a lake isn't usually a problem but in the case where you've got a river to deal with pumping isn't always an option. Pumping may work but often times the corpse gets washed farther down the river. You could divert the river but more often than not you may find yourself encountering FPS death. Auto dumping to the shore is likely the best option in this case.