Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [MODDING] ITEMS (CLOTHING/WEAPON/TOOL/ETC) QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 1492 times)

CulixCupric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[MODDING] ITEMS (CLOTHING/WEAPON/TOOL/ETC) QUESTIONS THREAD
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:28:10 pm »

Here is where to ask questions about various item modding and tokens.
(Further info/edits pending...)

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Token
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Ammo_token
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Armor_token
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tool_token
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Trap_component_token
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Weapon_token
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Skill_token

NOTE: I didn't see one, and knowing I am likely going to ask a lot of questions about it, and so are others, i decided to make this one thread, instead of a numerically larger number of smaller threads.
Don't know what to put here... let me know if you have any ideas...

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] ITEMS (CLOTHING/WEAPON/TOOL/ETC) QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 09:22:30 am »

Well, the first post in 7 years :-)

Hi all!
A boulder is a surface feature that spaws randomly. Its material is based on the underlying stonelayers.
I couldn't find raws for it. same for driftwood, pebbles, or seafoam.

Can I define my own 'boulder'? Lets say i want to spawn 'logs' randomly in the forest. or cavern boulders. Or I want my boulders made out of extrateresstial chrystal. Thinks like that?

joostheger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 02:50:55 pm »

Another question.
if an (ice made) item melts, but it lays on the ground, does it leaves a puddle?

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2023, 09:57:59 am »

Another question.
if an (ice made) item melts, but it lays on the ground, does it leaves a puddle?

I would think it would leave a puddle, it would then evaporate or someone will "clean" it up

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2023, 02:42:46 pm »

If it's just an item, it will melt into a glob/misc liquid item that can only be cleaned up/washed away by rain. If it's a map tile like an ice layer or ice wall you'll get a usable water puddle.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 12:06:20 am »

I made a custom range weapon that is a cross bow
The dwarfs equip it fine but it's available in every workshop that makes cross bows
is there a way to build custom range weapon only in custom work shop??

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 09:46:55 am »

Well, the first post in 7 years :-)

Hi all!
A boulder is a surface feature that spaws randomly. Its material is based on the underlying stonelayers.
I couldn't find raws for it. same for driftwood, pebbles, or seafoam.

Can I define my own 'boulder'? Lets say i want to spawn 'logs' randomly in the forest. or cavern boulders. Or I want my boulders made out of extrateresstial chrystal. Thinks like that?

After some deep diving on graphics I'm going to say no to this as all I'm seeing about boulders in this context are graphical only in nature

I think the most you can do is define a custom organic Boulder and have it display its own custom color to designate that substrate below that Boulder

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 08:45:59 pm »

The dwarfs equip it fine but it's available in every workshop that makes cross bows
I think this is a hard coded feature for ranged weapons. The only way to get around it is to remove the entity token for it, make a custom reaction to make your weapon and add the reaction to the entity. They won't show up in world gen this way though
Author of Fantastic Fantasy Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180748.0)

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 12:16:43 pm »

I think this is a hard coded feature for ranged weapons. The only way to get around it is to remove the entity token for it, make a custom reaction to make your weapon and add the reaction to the entity. They won't show up in world gen this way though

I'll try this, but I think removing it from entity will make it not equipable? Anymore?

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 03:30:43 pm »

Ok got it all working quite nicely now, the ammo problem was a weird bug involving squads and hunters use of ammo stockpiles

Still not sure why the graphic intermittently displays but I'm sure there's probably a missing graphic  reference or something

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 08:04:49 pm »

creatures holding weapons only show them for certain materials, like the vanilla materials. you'll have to make and link graphical icons for each material you want it to be made out of.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 09:48:12 pm »

creatures holding weapons only show them for certain materials, like the vanilla materials. you'll have to make and link graphical icons for each material you want it to be made out of.

I've done this and the weapon works and displays and is equippable

I think my problem is there's a civ that it isn't it isn't referenced in the civ properly cause vanilla dwarfs are the only civ it's not displaying on

chipathingy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2023, 05:35:43 pm »

I'll try this, but I think removing it from entity will make it not equipable? Anymore?

It would be listed as a foreign weapon
Author of Fantastic Fantasy Fortress (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180748.0)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2023, 07:24:42 pm »

You can still assign foreign weapons so that shouldn't be a problem.

You'll have to double check your files on the dwarves then, it's probably a typo somewhere.
I make Spellcrafts!

aradar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary bullshitter
    • View Profile
    • my steam workshop
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2023, 09:18:52 am »

You can still assign foreign weapons so that shouldn't be a problem.

You'll have to double check your files on the dwarves then, it's probably a typo somewhere.

Without replacing vanilla dwarfs completely is there a way to add graphics to them or do I have to replace them with my custom dwarf creature and new graphics?
Pages: [1] 2