Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Greedhollow: bloodline / succession game  (Read 2968 times)

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Greedhollow: bloodline / succession game
« on: January 19, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

This will be a succession game.  Post below to sign up, no experience needed!  As usual, players will control the fortress for one year of game time before passing it off to the next person in line.  And now for a teaser:

----
"Aye, that's the spot," said a hushed, gruff voice.  "Dig there fer sure."

The two dwarves sat in a dark, hazy room.  Flickering torchlight barely pierced the thick clouds of pipe smoke.  Hunched over a rough stone table, their eyes seemed to glitter from the reflected glow of pipe embers.  A tattered parchment map was spread out on the table between them.

The other dwarf replied, "How do ya know there's adamantium there?"

Leaning close, the gruff dwarf lowered his voice even more as he spoke, "You know Melik?  Rumor has it that he's been dreaming again.  Lotsa dreams, and this is the spot."

"Oh come off it now," said the other dwarf, "surely you don't believe that garbage!"

The gruff dwarf's eyes widened in surprise.  He replied, "Don't believe Melik?  Just look at him!  He's livin' like a king now.  You can say he's crazy if you like, but he's struck adamantium three times.  Only this time, we can beat 'em to it!"

"I dunno," said the other dwarf, "that's pretty scant reason to risk our fortunes, not to mention our lives.  It's a fool's mission if you ask me."

Both dwarves sat in silence for a half a minute before the gruff one finally spoke up again.

"Alright, have it yer way.  We'll split it 60/40 like you wanted.  But I get to name the place!"

The other dwarf smiled.  "Now, my friend, we have a deal.  Let's talk provisions..."

They talked long into the night.  Fortunately for the gruff dwarf, he was never asked to elaborate much more on the content of the dreams, or rather, the nightmares.
----

Our prospector has informed us that this location offers magma, adamantium, chasms, underground rivers, flux material, iron, and sand.  We'll need to dig to find these things, of course.  The goal is to eventually strike it rich from adamantium!  Players are encouraged to post verbose diaries, including screenshots if possible.

So who wants to take a turn managing Greedhollow?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Greedhollow: bloodline / succession game
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

Alright, I'll get in on this.  Should be fun.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 03:04:00 pm »

Great!

This post will contain the current playing order.  I'll try to keep it up-to-date.

1. RogerN
2. Karlito
3. Bricktop <- current turn
4. Torak
5. dean w stick
6. Toaster
7. UltimaPhantom

[ February 04, 2008: Message edited by: RogerN ]

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

The first year of Greedhollow is at an end.  The diary of my dwarf, Rogerk the Capitalist (mason, really), can be found here:

Greedhollow Chapter 1

Also, the current map has been uploaded to the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive.  View the Greedhollow fortress.

Download the save file

Karlito, you're up!  Hopefully we can get a few more players interested before too long.  I'd like to wait a minimum of 3 years before doing another turn.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 10:18:00 pm »

I'll have a turn.

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 11:03:00 pm »

The lineup has been updated.  Also, I added a couple more points of interest to the map viewer on the DFMA in case any of my initial designs were confusing.  But then again, confusion can lead to better stories  :)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:24:00 pm »

Ill take the next turn, but dont feel like writing a long winded story.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

turboburrito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 12:55:00 am »

I really would love to play but I don't have the time. :\.  I'll be able to play on Thursday.  Do you think the people on the list already will finish way before then?

And I'm not too good of a write, so I don't think I'll be posting anything while in a character.

I see you have already dug yourself a tomb. :P

[ January 20, 2008: Message edited by: turboburrito ]

dean w stick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 01:13:00 am »

I'll play a turn if you still have room.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 02:01:00 am »

Sign me up too, please.  I'll be sure to add some grandiose project that ultimately fails.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

UltimaPhantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 04:39:00 am »

Sign me up, too.
A HREF="http://techommando.blogspot.com/">http://techommando.blogspot.com/

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 09:01:00 am »

It's OK if you don't write a novel.  But we would like to get an overview of any interesting events.  If any dwarf dies, or if the goblins attack, then please let everyone know.

Also, it's nice (but not mandatory) to upload the current state of the fortress at the end of your turn to the DFMA.

Foamy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 10:36:00 am »

I'll sign up.

UltimaPhantom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 12:15:00 pm »

Soo... Is this moving along now?
A HREF="http://techommando.blogspot.com/">http://techommando.blogspot.com/

RogerN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 01:01:00 pm »

quote:
Soo... Is this moving along now?

I assume so, unless I hear otherwise.  We'll give each person about 3 days to play their turn.  If we don't hear anything after that then we can just pass it off to the next in line.

Pages: [1] 2