Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Blessed Bronze 5e IC: A letter delivered  (Read 10246 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Blessed Bronze 5e IC: A letter delivered
« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2015, 06:48:24 pm »

"Right then."

"Just remember not to punch anyone! That's the first rule of diplomacy." Kat said with a small laugh.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2015, 07:02:33 pm »

Kas

Don't like the looks of that!

You promptly back up and head further towards the Docks. In the district proper, the air is so thick it's almost visible with the smells of Sleangate - kraken and sea-salt, sweat and heavy heat. Aside from the main through-fairs the streets are narrow and scurry between the buildings. Rats are plentiful, darting between shadows.

Finding yourself at the seafront, you can see a lot of vessels berthed at the docks, their paddle wheels still in the murky green-blue waters of the sea. Time to look for the ship.

Eleen and Oriana

Spoiler: Mingling (click to show/hide)

Eleen is able to get the directions quite easily from a thin, tanned man who appeared to be having tea with a bulky Jormungandr woman. He seems happy enough to talk to you - the woman occasionally interjects with a thick, rumbling accent. Apparently he's from out of city, and is researching the local mythology.
Up Sulwood Road, take the third right, it's the big building with the marble statues...
He offers you a cup of tea and a longer conversation, if you're willing.

Oriana finds it a little more difficult to find someone willing to chat, but manages soon enough - one of the Churchmen, actually, almost but not quite standing guard and keeping an eye on the Giant. Happy to have some female presence after what he seemed to fidn a dull shift, he quite willingly tells you the way.

Spoiler: Character Status (click to show/hide)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2015, 07:09:43 pm »

Have a look for the Merciful Annibel. If my eyes fail me, enquire with the docks workers. Prioritise those that look like they have ties to the Church - the name sounds like a Church ship. Make no mention of beasts, but instead say "I'm on business on behalf of the recently deceased," if asked.

[Self:]Have I ever heard of/encountered the Merciful Annibel in my travels?

In Kas' experience it was never wise to put down all your cards. And his planned reason wasn't even a lie.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 03:47:40 am by sjm9876 »
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2015, 08:53:36 am »

Given Eleen thought the meeting was unlikely to dissolve into fisticuffs, she supposed a conversation would be in order. Best not to give people too much reason to be suspicious by rushing away rudely. She was lucky to have snagged an out of towner-they wouldn't be likely to stick around and identify her (Or even know who she was) if someone came around, asking questions.

"Ayah, a cup worth's of conversation is right up my alley. It's a beautiful morning, innit?

...So, you say you're writing a paper on the Myths of Sleangate, do I reckon you rightly? Well, I could tell you some stories, I kid you not..."
She said, sipping her tea. It wasn't hiji, but she supposed it would do. "Anyway, tell me what's on your mind."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:53:11 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2015, 08:18:09 pm »

"Thanks for yer help, sir..." Oriana says. Her eyes drift to the Church Giant.

[Self:]Do I know anything about the Church Giants? Probably not much, if they're just in this city, but if they're more common or at least well known I might know a little.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 29, 2015, 07:11:24 pm »

Have a look for the Merciful Annibel. If my eyes fail me, enquire with the docks workers. Prioritise those that look like they have ties to the Church - the name sounds like a Church ship. Make no mention of beasts, but instead say "I'm on business on behalf of the recently deceased," if asked.

[Self:]Have I ever heard of/encountered the Merciful Annibel in my travels?

You look around the bustling port for the ship, and when you fail, you inquire with some of the burly men hoissts crates nearby a three-masted kraken-ship. They point you the right way, and with a nod of thanks, you locate the ship.

It's a thick, wide ship, with the high rails used for hanging their catch on. It has the dagger on the bow for ramming kraken, but it is shiny - a sign of disuse, perhaps, or a recent replacement - the ship seems in very good condition. Kraken blood and sea water is a corroding mixture for most metals.
It's got all the recent equipment, as well - the paddle wheels on the rear let it move faster than a sailing ship without relying on the wind, though it has a pair of masts as well. Cannon ports are shut, and there a few figures moving on deck, moving around goods, and generally performing the standard acts of ship life.

You sincerely doubt it's a Church ship. The Church tends to have very little to do with the sea, in truth - it keeps a few cursory warships, but not many would attack something of the Church anyway. They wouldn't run a kraken-ship, certainly - their wealth comes from taxes, tithes, and land ownership rather than many businesses like that.

The pair of sailors at the gangplank look unimpressed when you mention your reason.
"Really," one says, "and what business is that?"
The other continues whittling at a piece of wood. It resembles Kaaldunafa, a Primordial that is associated with sea life - particularly, those that crawled on the bottom, like crabs. It was said that the fishermen could barely haul their nets up when Kaaldunafa was near, so heavy were they with catch...

Given Eleen thought the meeting was unlikely to dissolve into fisticuffs, she supposed a conversation would be in order. Best not to give people too much reason to be suspicious by rushing away rudely. She was lucky to have snagged an out of towner-they wouldn't be likely to stick around and identify her (Or even know who she was) if someone came around, asking questions.

"Ayah, a cup worth's of conversation is right up my alley. It's a beautiful morning, innit?

...So, you say you're writing a paper on the Myths of Sleangate, do I reckon you rightly? Well, I could tell you some stories, I kid you not..."
She said, sipping her tea. It wasn't hiji, but she supposed it would do. "Anyway, tell me what's on your mind."

"Well, it's interesting. Very much so. One finds this is not the first time that beasts are mentioned in the myths of Sleangate, on close look. There were similar reports a good long time ago." He smiles. "Can you guess when?"

"Thanks for yer help, sir..." Oriana says. Her eyes drift to the Church Giant.

[Self:]Do I know anything about the Church Giants? Probably not much, if they're just in this city, but if they're more common or at least well known I might know a little.

The Church Giants are probably one of the most famous Church creatures, even if they're not very common. They're very tall, obviously, and incredibly strong - in battle they tend to carry cannons primed with canister shot or huge maces to pulp their enemies. They have an infamous rage when assaulting an enemy of the faith. Not something you'd like to fight, really.

Looking at them, they're almost triangular, with a proportionally small head on a colossal body. It seems engrossed in watching the fountain. It doesn't have a weapon nearby, but you can't think of anything that could withstand a blow of those metal-clad fists... it's likely it's unarmed because otherwise it'd trash any part of the city they were in if they got in a fight.

As with all church beings, you don't have a clue how they come to be, other than it includes a lot of self-sacrifice and devotion. Unlike the Sacred, which are always silent, it is possible to talk to Giants (well, with the possibility of a reply), but expecting an answer can lead to disappointment, Just because they can, doesn't mean they will.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 29, 2015, 07:21:56 pm »

"Most of the stories of monsters I heard came from the Black Years, when the plagues struck...or the reign of the Last King of Sleangate, the Mud King. But, all I know is tall tales, nothing for sure."

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 30, 2015, 06:39:00 am »

Kas blinked a moment, and decided honesty would be best. Lies for decency's sake would get you nowhere with sailors, in his experience.

Still, he spoke quietly, only just loud enough for the pair to hear him.

"Hunting. A touch too late, sadly, but if you can give me a trail I might be able to give you a head..."
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.

Sigtext

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2015, 06:40:17 am »

Oriana decides to go to the point where she was to meet with Eleen.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2015, 07:24:07 pm »

"Most of the stories of monsters I heard came from the Black Years, when the plagues struck...or the reign of the Last King of Sleangate, the Mud King. But, all I know is tall tales, nothing for sure."
"The plagues, exactly! Sixty years ago. Tales very similiar. They've distorted a touch, of course, over the years... but still, very similiar. One is forced to wonder if there'll be another plague soon." he smiles again, and the Jormundgandr woman rumbles something in her native tongue. The scholar laughs lightly.

"Of course, I've spoken a lot, but I'd like to hear your thoughts. Tell me," he says, leaning forwards, "What do you think of these beasts?"

Oriana decides to go to the point where she was to meet with Eleen.

It seems she isn't here yet... hmm.

Kas blinked a moment, and decided honesty would be best. Lies for decency's sake would get you nowhere with sailors, in his experience.

Still, he spoke quietly, only just loud enough for the pair to hear him.

"Hunting. A touch too late, sadly, but if you can give me a trail I might be able to give you a head..."

Spoiler: Persuasion roll (click to show/hide)

The sailors look unimpressed.
"Another carrion bird." the whittling sailors says, spitting to the side.
The other sailor squares up to you, eyeing you with distaste.
"We've already 'ad a bunch of you lot sniffing around. We'll find the bloody thing ourselves, and we'll string its mangy 'ide from the masts for what it did. We don't need your help, or your too late, sadlys."

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2015, 09:05:11 pm »

"See, I know ships, and I know monsters, and I don't see no hide."

Kas was getting irritated. Any other situation he'd run the men though.

"And I also don't see no captain, less you're keeping low. You in the habit of calling the shots?"

His voice rose in volume slightly, back to normal levels, and his accent shifted to a more nautical tone. His kept his sword arm loose, ready to draw at a moments notice.

Sigtext

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 02, 2015, 09:06:52 pm »

Well, waiting time then.
Sigtext!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2015, 08:49:22 am »

"Well, I'm keeping an open mind about things. Have nay seen one of these things for myself, so I can't give much credit to the stories...at least till I see some proof.

My own personal theory? It's just men. I think some sort of gang or cult has gotten the idea to play the monsters for whatever terrible reason. They might just be ordinary, brutal folk who are dressed up in wolf and bear skins-aye, witnesses have big imaginations-and like the taste of murder and mayhem, and getting away with it. Or, a Cult stumbled on some dark old magic and let it loose, on purpose or accident-maybe they can control them, maybe no...to be honest, the only monsters I've met in my life wear coats, trousers, and hats...I think at the end of this, we'll trace it down to pure human fuc...er, buggery.

...Then again, they say there's still people living the sealed wards-either those who were shut in with the plague-or, the most desperate, dangerous folk who went there to hide, and never left. We call them Ghouls, but it's mostly a scare story-tell your kids to be home before nightfall, or the Ghouls will snatch them, and take them to see the Ghoul King under the city...and he'll turn them into Ghouls to serve him in the dark and the cold, forever and ever...I can't say if Ghouls exist or not, but you can sure as spring-I was home every night for supper like my momma told me."

The last sentence was a complete lie, of course-Eleen's mother had died before her daughters first birthday-but, she didn't exactly let on with the idea she was an orphan, at least directly. It had certain connotations she liked to avoid.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 08:52:59 am by Dwarmin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 05, 2015, 05:40:35 pm »

"See, I know ships, and I know monsters, and I don't see no hide."

Kas was getting irritated. Any other situation he'd run the men though.

"And I also don't see no captain, less you're keeping low. You in the habit of calling the shots?"

His voice rose in volume slightly, back to normal levels, and his accent shifted to a more nautical tone. His kept his sword arm loose, ready to draw at a moments notice.

"Oy, you bugger, I-"
"Sam." the whittling man says, and that seems to be that.
The other sailor mutters a curse and subsides with bad grace, one hand fingering his knife before he lets it drop.

The whittling sailor puts his wood aside and looks up at you.
"Follow me then, mate. Don't mind Sam... Rickard was his mate, so he's pretty damn stormy over the fact. You want to talk to the Captain, or to John? John was the one who shot at the thing, though iffn you're wantin' to help us, you'll have to ask the Captain."

He stands up, and slaps the Sam on the shoulder in a companionable manner.
"Don't go stabbin' anyone while I'm gone, mate."
Sam responds with more sullen muttering.

Well, waiting time then.
You busy yourself with people watching while waiting for your new acquaintance. You've seen more people in one day than there were in total back in the village... Quick movement catches your eye, as a bronze figure dashes up to the Giant. The figure is clad in vestments and a widebrimmed hat, and from the body posture you can imagine it speaking urgently to the Giant.

You watch as the Giant stands up. Slowly, it turns around, and strides towards the Cathedral Ward, each ponderous step eating up a tremendous amount of distance. People scatter out the way, forming a sort of bow wave.

Well, that was interesting. Tum-de-tum...

"Well, I'm keeping an open mind about things. Have nay seen one of these things for myself, so I can't give much credit to the stories...at least till I see some proof.

My own personal theory? It's just men. I think some sort of gang or cult has gotten the idea to play the monsters for whatever terrible reason. They might just be ordinary, brutal folk who are dressed up in wolf and bear skins-aye, witnesses have big imaginations-and like the taste of murder and mayhem, and getting away with it. Or, a Cult stumbled on some dark old magic and let it loose, on purpose or accident-maybe they can control them, maybe no...to be honest, the only monsters I've met in my life wear coats, trousers, and hats...I think at the end of this, we'll trace it down to pure human fuc...er, buggery.

...Then again, they say there's still people living the sealed wards-either those who were shut in with the plague-or, the most desperate, dangerous folk who went there to hide, and never left. We call them Ghouls, but it's mostly a scare story-tell your kids to be home before nightfall, or the Ghouls will snatch them, and take them to see the Ghoul King under the city...and he'll turn them into Ghouls to serve him in the dark and the cold, forever and ever...I can't say if Ghouls exist or not, but you can sure as spring-I was home every night for supper like my momma told me."

The last sentence was a complete lie, of course-Eleen's mother had died before her daughters first birthday-but, she didn't exactly let on with the idea she was an orphan, at least directly. It had certain connotations she liked to avoid.

The scholar laughs.
"Oh, yes, the Ghouls. The legends are unclear in claiming if they're the angry dead or just the living, just very twisted. Personally, I prefer the stories about the Stiltmen, who come out of the sea at night to snatch children... with the amount of monsters creeping about, it's a wonder there's any children left in Sleangate, isn't it?"

The woman next to him pulls out a delicate silver pocketwatch - tiny in her large hands - and taps on it meaningfully. The scholar nods, and offers a hand to shake.
"I do apologise, I never asked you your name. I'm Samuel Dusken, and my dear companion is Rumble of the Mountain. She's not much for conversation."

Once shaken - or rebuffed, he heads off, across the bridge.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 05, 2015, 05:50:17 pm »

Eleen laughed at the comment of vanishing children in Sleangate. That was a pretty good joke...and pretty grim, depending on how you took it. A good joke all the same, though.

"Aye, and I'm 'Lean. Nice to meet ya, Mr. Dusken, Ms. Rumble."

She waved merrily at Oriana to join her as she made her way to the university building.

"Oy-a! Freshet! Come on~on, darling-mine. S'all business as usual." She said, fitting into her street cadence like an old glove.

Action: Reconvene with Oriana, and onward

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10