Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Brewing produces unlisted Seeds?  (Read 1090 times)

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brewing produces unlisted Seeds?
« on: September 16, 2015, 11:59:46 am »

While I know that you never get seeds when you Cook something, I have some issues with items that I've Brewed which then produced seeds that I can't Cook into anything...

Things like Banana Seeds, Blackberry Seeds and Cashews don't seem to appear anywhere under the Kitchen menu (under z).

I currently have several dozen Seeds from various fruits I purchased from Trade Caravans that I now can't seem to do anything with... Advise on how to resolve this issue so that I can add these items to my meals would be very helpful.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Brewing produces unlisted Seeds?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 12:13:01 pm »

Those seeds are useless, they can't be planted (yet, maybe in a later version) and they can't be cooked. I personally use DFHack "autodump destroy", that takes care of them quite nicely, but dumping in magma will do as well.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 12:19:56 pm »

Those seeds are useless, they can't be planted (yet, maybe in a later version) and they can't be cooked. I personally use DFHack "autodump destroy", that takes care of them quite nicely, but dumping in magma will do as well.
Hmm... Can I sell them to Traders or something? I don't use DFHack at all. (And no sight of Magma yet.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 12:22:41 pm »

Also, they can't be sold. Trying to haul them to the trade depot results in the arrival of an empty bag.
However, Milo is slightly off, since some of them CAN be planted as overground crops, provided you're in a suitable biome (Blackberry among those).
You can dump them into your refuse stockpile to let them degrade that way (or use the old fashioned atom smasher).

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 12:25:12 pm »

Also, they can't be sold. Trying to haul them to the trade depot results in the arrival of an empty bag.
However, Milo is slightly off, since some of them CAN be planted as overground crops, provided you're in a suitable biome (Blackberry among those).
You can dump them into your refuse stockpile to let them degrade that way (or use the old fashioned atom smasher).
Ah darn. Okay thanks for confirming that. I'll just dump the ones that don't show up on the list and try to stop from purchasing those items in the future...

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:29:05 pm »

Why bother? I just let them accumulate, and the seed cap will kick in eventually. I like to provide my dorfs with any kind of booze I can get the means to produce for variety (although I don't think it makes any in game as long as you're satisfying a basic level of variety, or happen on someones favorite.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 06:09:01 pm »

Why bother? I just let them accumulate, and the seed cap will kick in eventually. I like to provide my dorfs with any kind of booze I can get the means to produce for variety (although I don't think it makes any in game as long as you're satisfying a basic level of variety, or happen on someones favorite.
Because of FPS and storage space. Seed cap is by default 200 of each kind of seed.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 06:25:20 pm »

FYI, Button's Expanded plants mod fixes most of the broken plants.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Chimerat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 08:03:45 pm »

FYI, Button's Expanded plants mod fixes most of the broken plants.
Thanks. I'll try restarting a new world with that and see. I wasn't very far in this Fortress anyway.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 01:49:38 am »

Well, I think the total seed cap is 2000 and since seeds are stored in bags it shouldn't have much of an FPS impact nor use that much space, I would have though (even though DF seems to use more bags for seeds than is needed).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 02:06:05 am »

Well, I think the total seed cap is 2000 and since seeds are stored in bags it shouldn't have much of an FPS impact nor use that much space, I would have though (even though DF seems to use more bags for seeds than is needed).
In that case you only get 10 kinds of seeds in your fort if you accumulate 200 of each. (That would be because each bag can only hold one type of seed and they have a habit of not using the existing bag due to hauling.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 04:18:36 am »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned weaponising them. Seeds that you can safely use as drop ammo (for training or kills) without worrying about harming your food industry.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 04:31:17 am »

No you'll get more kinds than that, because you get the seeds in parallel, so you'll only get 200 of some kinds, whereas you get smaller numbers of other types. I guess the auto seed purge at the limit might eventually cause a problem if you run out of some kinds of useful seeds because those get used up by planting and get replaced by useless ones, but a big purge every 20 years or so should probably take care of that.

@Psieye: The coinstar could be operated with seeds as well as coins, but collecting seeds individually before they get put into bags would be even more painful than hauling the individual coins. A change about a year ago converted the coinstar from a training device to a maiming device.
Weaponizing seeds similarly faces the issue of getting them out of their bags and hauled to the deployment location with a reasonable amount of work and without getting them rebagged. It's probably easier to use xsockx ammo. Also, after the seeds have been fired you'd end up with lots of seeds cluttering the area hurting FPS and sending your dorfs to collect them rather than perform productive work. Seeds ought to degrade if you put a refuse (links only) stockpile over the zone, but that would also damage the precious underwear the invaders wore.
The bugged save where the embark party turned out to be dorfs had a use for useless seeds, however. Someone found that "grown wood" is produced from random seeds (which means it could be a useful one as well).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 09:44:00 am by PatrikLundell »