Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I make Harpy's into spouse abductors?  (Read 2488 times)

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
How do I make Harpy's into spouse abductors?
« on: September 16, 2015, 03:16:02 am »

I don't like having biologically immortal creatures in my game which is why I give elves, goblin and even dragons the [MAXAGE] tag but because harpy are mono-gendered they'll simple go extinct if I try that.

I think that if I make them work like night trolls and abduct males then they'll survive but I don't know how to do that, I tried having an uncompressed save to look though but can't seem to find where the night troll raws are so I checked the wiki and I think I'll need [NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER] [SPOUSE_CONVERTER] and [SPOUSE_CONVERSION_TARGET] is there anything else I need to make Harpy's work?

Any help would be appreciated.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: How do I make Harpy's into spouse abductors?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 08:34:07 am »

you could add a very rare and not common male caste that has all the same stats as a regular human, adjust max ages accordingly. Not sure if a Harpy would live longer because of its evil nature, or live shorter because of its bestial visage, and since by default they are a roaming wildlife, means that sometimes a male human captive (caste) will wander around with those groups (depending on how you manage the pop_ratio it could be 1-5 harpies or rarer)

Because I'm not sure if you can make a non-night creature do spouse conversions since that isn't a part of the normal creature mechanic? Unless you make all Harpies night creatures (I'm not sure on how to do this)

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:47:33 am »

I rare male caste could work, I just figured that spouse conversion would fit their evil nature and thought that it was possible to make custom night creatures as I vaguely remember a mod with custom vampires for 34.11
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 08:48:47 am »

So I tried to make the spouse converter version and it looks like it worked.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:15 am »

interesting, did he breed with the harpy? closest thing I see is the only daughter (year of his transformation) but the rest of his children say "the human" and I'm guessing the worlds 2nd Harpy transformed him?

I wouldn't mind seeing the Raws for the new Harpy for educational purposes

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 11:32:51 am »

Actually the "2" is jsut because it the second iteration of harpy and I called it harpy 2 in the raws, the first iteration was made using the [POP_RATIO] tag you suggested and I replaced the goblin entity with the harpy to see if it worked and I find its hard to find info on animal-men.

Here's the daughters legends page.

As for the raws I just copied the harpy entry to a new file and added the kobold male/female caste's plus the night creature tags so rather simple compared to what some of the people here can do, I did keep the asymmetrical gender ratio to ensure they didn't go extinct in early world gen.

I'm going to try making them civ playable so I can look at their thought screen description to see if they "Look" alright.

Starsly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 03:47:10 pm »

If you were to do more with this, could you make them adv playable and have claws at the end of their wings that act like hands?

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 09:18:47 pm »

As far as I know, spouse converting civs don't work at all. That is, their citizens just don't bother with spouse abductions so long as they're members of a civ.

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 12:16:44 am »

If you were to do more with this, could you make them adv playable and have claws at the end of their wings that act like hands?

I'm not planing on doing anything like AceSV's Furry Fortress if that's what you mean, It is possible to make them adv controllable just not as outsiders for some reason.

I did add 3 fingered hands to their wings to try out body modification, I put the hand here.

As far as I know, spouse converting civs don't work at all. That is, their citizens just don't bother with spouse abductions so long as they're members of a civ.

I never wanted to make a harpy civ just ensure they wouldn't go extinct if I gave them a max age and spouse conversion fit them imho, I only changed the creature tag in the entity file from goblin to harpy to help me keep track of them and see if they would survive would gen and they seemed to work, both growing as a civ and abducting mates from other civs during world gen.

Here's the daughters legends page.

After taking another look at the screenshot I posted of the daughter it seem like she wasn't a member of any civ so your right.