Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A rant about pushy and dishonest salesmen/technicians.  (Read 1111 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
A rant about pushy and dishonest salesmen/technicians.
« on: September 15, 2015, 02:33:15 pm »

My wife went to Discount Tire to get our tire fixed since it had a little screw in the tread and had a slow leak (like it would lose 6 PSI over 24 hours, since Saturday I have just been reinflating it every morning). I was expecting 15 bucks or so (I've had them fixed anywhere from $10-20).

Tire salesman convinced her to buy a $150 tire replacement because:

1. The tire "wouldn't hold up" because it was a screw (I have had numerous screw holes patched in my work vehicle tires over the years, never had one of them blow out afterwards).

2. The tire was "almost worn out anyway" because it was "only 7/32 tread left." These are tires that started with 10/32 tread, and are recommended to be replaced at 4/32. So basically they were half way worn down after 30k miles, we could have put another 30k on them. They probably popped that sucker off, patched it, and have it sitting to be resold as a used tire.

My wife didn't know any better, she knows nothing of tires. He had her convinced that 7/32 was nearly worn out and that a screw hole can't be patched. People like this make me so mad. Like AC guys who try to tell you your compressor needs to be replaced when you can hear it running, or car mechanics that insist they replaced a part that you can look at and see is still dirty and hasn't been touched.

Anyone else have this kind of thing happen to them lately?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: A rant about pushy and dishonest salesmen/technicians.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 03:43:44 pm »

This is one of the reasons I prefer to buy everything I can online.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 04:14:57 pm »

As far as pushiness goes the real king is doctors.  My grandma's almost 80.  She has emphysema, diabetes, Arnold-Chiari malformation slowly killing her ability to move without help, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, diverticulitis, heart disease, who knows what else. 

She recently had a stent to deal with a blockage but her arteries were so calcified they couldn't get the stent in.  Immediately following this excruciating surgery that didn't even work, the doctors are pushing for open heart.  Basically a Hail Mary, the open heart will probably kill her but the clogged arteries will definitely kill her otherwise. 

She basically needed my aunt and my mom to double-team the doctor and get her to back off and answer some questions without pushing for dangerous surgery

My friend's wife is about to have a baby and it's categorized as high risk.  The doctors want to induce but won't explain why.  When the original reason (baby might get too big for full-term delivery) turned out wrong they still wanted induction, and won't explain the issue.

Really, in every situation I've ever seen, getting doctors to explain something is like pulling teeth.
Shoes...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 05:23:34 pm »

Really, in every situation I've ever seen, getting doctors to explain something is like pulling teeth.
To be fair doctors are probably used to dealing with utter retards who couldn't understand basic first aid let alone these types of precedures.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:15:17 pm »

Oh, I have had that with doctors before. We had that issue with my first son. He was stuck at first and the labor dragged on for like 24 hours, then the nurses gave her pitocin and had her pushing and I saw his head. Next thing I know the doctor comes in and stops her pushing, at which point his head kinda slides back in, and checks her.

And from there it went something like this:

"We need to do a c section."

Why? He's coming now.

"Because we must do a c section."

But he's coming, is there a risk to him if we don't? It seems like a few more pushes and he would be out...

"My gut tells me to do a c-section. Do you want to kill your baby?"

Oh... He could die? Okay. Do a c-section.

Later we talked to people and realized he probably would have come on his own, and the reason he had taken a while to come was "shoulder dystocia" (his shoulder was stuck) but he had finally turned right before the doctor came in and was finally coming out. If the doctor had been a few minutes later we probably would have had a baby when he arrived.

He was perfectly healthy and the c-section didn't hurt him, but my wife has a horrible scar from hip to hip due to the crappy doctor (he was the guy on call, her ob wasn't there) and our second kid and from now on any kids we have have to be c-sections because the scar didn't heal well enough.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:27:51 pm »

If the doctor had been a few minutes later we probably would have had a baby when he arrived.
And now I have this odd image of this doctor walking in, putting the baby back in and then demanding a C-section.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.