Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to pick the type of stone used  (Read 1114 times)

Sofaspud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to pick the type of stone used
« on: January 19, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

This is very micro-manage-y, and depends on Toady not doing something about the 'infinite stones on one dump tile' bit, but, it works, and I don't know if it's been mentioned before.

I have a Grand Project in the works that I wanted to be built from specific rock blocks (for colors).  Letting the dwarves pick which rock to use is no good, because they'll never get around to picking the type I need at the moment -- it's a law of DF physics or something.

SO, what I did was, I set up several different 1x1 dump tiles right outside my masonry shops.  As I mine out stone, I activate the appropriate dump tile, deactivate the rest, and mark the stone for dumping.  When I run into a new color, I switch tiles I'm dumping to.  This sorts everything out nice and tidy into separate piles.

Then, to get the dwarves to use only the color I need at the moment, I forbid the ones I don't want, and reclaim only the one that I do.

It's a bit of a pain in the neck -- I think it'd be easier to simply tell them 'make 30 microcline blocks', but since you can only specify 'rock' and not what type of rock, this is the next best thing I've found.

Can't... stop... laughing...:<BR>"... but at least in DF if Elves chained themselves to trees it would just mean an extra ax stroke or two." --Forumsdwarf<BR>"Would the owner of the red GCS silk socks, please pick them the f*** up, you left your FPS void on." --MadJax

Sularus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to pick the type of stone used
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:49:00 am »

I do something very similar, but instead of forbiding and reclaiming and all of that stuff, i build stone storage rooms, with doors. After i get all my quantum piles set up i simply reclaim them all and then lock/unlock doors as needed. Takes up slightly more space than using piles and then forbiding/reclaiming them, but I think it looks a little better.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 12:02:00 pm »

Someone had made a reaction a little while ago that required almost every type of stone. This caused almost every type of stone to count as economic. Then they could easily select what type of stone to use and forbid all of the others.

I can't find it but it's there and it does work.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

^Heres the one. It will also make minerals more evenly distributed. Ever heard of Pipe Opal? Aventurine? Carnelian? Morion? They're all in the raws, and you probably will if you add this reaction, but it requires a new world gen.

All stone reaction

[ January 19, 2008: Message edited by: Wooty ]

Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 02:40:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by THLawrence:
<STRONG>Someone had made a reaction a little while ago that required almost every type of stone. This caused almost every type of stone to count as economic. Then they could easily select what type of stone to use and forbid all of the others.

I can't find it but it's there and it does work.</STRONG>

That's what I use.
The only materials not marked are Adamantine and the three oceanic stones (The oozes and pelgaic clay).

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

Yay! My mod was mentioned!  :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

If you want a foolproof system, put the mason, his workshop and the right stone in a room and lock it. To get the mason in there, make him a soldier and post him inside the room.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?