40k Imperial Truth
- 7 (5.7%)
Mormon
- 1 (0.8%)
Fatalist/Determinist
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 119

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: What is your religion lower board forumites?  (Read 8255 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What is your religion lower board forumites?
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2015, 02:07:06 pm »

Well, Catholics dont really dunk, its more "take some water and pour it on the head".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2015, 02:09:27 pm »

Think about it! Its entirely plausible that the Imperial faith was constructed from what remained of the Church, especially once you consider what theology in a Revelation-style apocalypse might look like. You even have the messiah who sacrificed himself for all mankind...
Except no. Last Christian church on Terra (they survived for so damn long tho) was visited by Emperor himself. There he had a theological talk with the priest, which impressed him enough to offer him a place as advisor... It ends with him walking away as Thunder Warriors explode it (both the church and the priest) to pieces with bolters. He made it literally one of his piorities to remove all traces of religion, because Chaos profits from it or something. While Imperial Creed bears a lot of resemblance, because, well, it was made up, mostly by Christians, Imperial Truth was pretty much atheism except Humanity Fuck Yeah and acknowledging that magic is a thing and some magic things call themselves god because they're dicks. Also Emperor's almost a god, but they were human once, which just means Humanity Fuck Yeah even harder.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2015, 02:11:08 pm »

Well, Catholics dont really dunk, its more "take some water and pour it on the head".

I struggle to keep track of which denominations baptise how.

For instance, just last Sunday I walked past a Shembe (I guess you could put that on the poll, LW, but I doubt we have any) baptism in the sea. It could reasonably be mistaken for holding the guy under until he said he believed. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2015, 02:13:10 pm »

What about confirmation? As far as I know that's a specifically Catholic thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2015, 02:16:00 pm »

Think about it! Its entirely plausible that the Imperial faith was constructed from what remained of the Church, especially once you consider what theology in a Revelation-style apocalypse might look like. You even have the messiah who sacrificed himself for all mankind...
Except no. Last Christian church on Terra (they survived for so damn long tho) was visited by Emperor himself. There he had a theological talk with the priest, which impressed him enough to offer him a place as advisor... It ends with him walking away as Thunder Warriors explode it (both the church and the priest) to pieces with bolters. He made it literally one of his piorities to remove all traces of religion, because Chaos profits from it or something. While Imperial Creed bears a lot of resemblance, because, well, it was made up, mostly by Christians, Imperial Truth was pretty much atheism except Humanity Fuck Yeah and acknowledging that magic is a thing and some magic things call themselves god because they're dicks. Also Emperor's almost a god, but they were human once, which just means Humanity Fuck Yeah even harder.

My understanding of the setting is that the Imperial Truth was explicitly a deliberate lie
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2015, 02:18:37 pm »

What about confirmation? As far as I know that's a specifically Catholic thing.

Depends what you mean by Catholic. For instance, I'm technically Catholic ("I believe in the sanctity of the Holy Catholic* Church...*universal"), but I go by Methodist.

Only a few denominations actually do the full immersion baptism, like baptists and charismatics. And Shembes, but they're a bit weird.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2015, 02:21:07 pm »

My understanding of the setting is that the Imperial Truth was explicitly a deliberate lie
Lie of what? That gods don't exist? Chaos gods are a thing but they aren't explictly gods as Christians or stuff think. They haven't created the world, they have limited power... the only thing that is "godly" about them is that they feed on belief of people (and emotions, that means if everyone wasn't a dick to each other, would make them pretty nice guys actually). Considering how Immaterium work (being the "physical" plane, the one where all the emotions and stuff exists), that's not exactly suprising or actually "godly".

EDIT:
So, in short, God doesn't exist, evolution a thing, science a thing, magic a thing to some degree but it's more like (tribal) science at that point, everything can be explained, humanity is awesome, Emperor is awesome, time to shoot anything that looks at us funny.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:23:15 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2015, 02:27:03 pm »

Lie of what? That gods don't exist? Chaos gods are a thing but they aren't explictly gods as Christians or stuff think. They haven't created the world, they have limited power... the only thing that is "godly" about them is that they feed on belief of people (and emotions, that means if everyone wasn't a dick to each other, would make them pretty nice guys actually). Considering how Immaterium work (being the "physical" plane, the one where all the emotions and stuff exists), that's not exactly suprising or actually "godly".

That's just argument by bizarre definition. Christianity itself is only monotheistic because it insists upon a historically unusual definition of what constitutes divinity. They easily fit the definition of gods as imagined by ancient paganism; if anything they don't qualify by virtue of being too powerful
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2015, 02:28:04 pm »

-snip-
You can adapt elements of a religion and still destroy it. Just look at what inspiration Mohammed took from Judaism and what Daesh would like to do to today's Jews.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2015, 02:38:17 pm »

I havent done my confirmation yet. Still waiting to find a priest that accept Catholic Atheists :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #100 on: September 16, 2015, 02:53:27 pm »

-snip-
You can adapt elements of a religion and still destroy it. Just look at what inspiration Mohammed took from Judaism and what Daesh would like to do to today's Jews.
Except there is no religion in Imperial Truth. It's literally atheism that accepts that magic is a thing because it's a thing in Wh40k and it can be explained scientifically, somehow. The Imperial Creed is what's religion (created by one of biggest heretics around, tho) and it was created way too late to actually incorporate parts from Terran religions. Maybe some warped versions of religions from other planets though.
That's just argument by bizarre definition. Christianity itself is only monotheistic because it insists upon a historically unusual definition of what constitutes divinity. They easily fit the definition of gods as imagined by ancient paganism; if anything they don't qualify by virtue of being too powerful
Kind of. If we define gods as magical beings with powers, then Chaos Gods are gods. If we define them as supernatural (magic in Wh40k is a part of nature, kind of) beings that created humans, are timeless, have unlimited powers, being in control of universal laws of nature, etc, they're not gods. The only reason gods in Wh40k exist, is because someone belives (actually more like emotions) in them (Emperor is kinda an exception, because even if he's reverred as a god, he's still alive), because that's how Immaterium works. This is why Imperial Truth was created, to stop people from worship so they stop making themselves gods that constrain them. If anything, it's humans (or Eldar fucking themselves one, or whatever) that created Chaos Gods. IIRC, Emperor himself calls Chaos Gods... "emergent warp phenomena" or "alien dimension energy thingies that are so fucked up, they think they are Gods" (I'm didin't quote the second one directly)

Also, you're half-right, the Imperial Truth was... not a lie, but it didin't actually mention Chaos Gods because Emperor didin't trust anyone enough to let them know because he thought this would cause people to worship them. It would work better if he was straightforward about it, as witnessed by Interrex with knew about Chaos Gods, didin't think they were gods and Chaos Gods ultimately had to kill them off physically because they couldn't get any religion hooks or stuff.

eeh it's fucking complicated let me get my stuff straight first I am going to sleep now maybe tommorow

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 16, 2015, 02:55:10 pm »

The Impeial Truth isn't a lie because warpspace is swayed by the thoughts and feelings of sapients. Whatever you believe about it can be the truth if enough people agree, which is what Emps was going for. It even worked while he was alive.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #102 on: September 16, 2015, 02:59:15 pm »

Whatever you believe about it can be the truth
Doesn't work retroactively though (you aren't going to cause God creating humans by believing so hard), and it seems the more "powerful" the shit is the more people you need (so Chaos Gods don't have limitless power).

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 16, 2015, 03:16:54 pm »

It does kind of work retroactively, like how Slaanesh always existed, past and future, once hir was born. And if hir died, hir would have never existed again. That's the warp for ya.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #104 on: September 16, 2015, 03:38:42 pm »

It does kind of work retroactively, like how Slaanesh always existed, past and future, once hir was born. And if hir died, hir would have never existed again. That's the warp for ya.
She did what.
If he always existed, past and future, that would mean that Eldar in the past would get their souls nommed by it, which would in turn cause them stop fucking around and start being the grieving fucks they are. Also shitton of other weird things that would cause the future to chance because reasons.
Also, what the fuck where did you get that info from. It's utter bullshit. Warp does indeed cause some time-fuckery from time to time, but not on this scale.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10