Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rumor Mill (0/4; OPEN!)  (Read 1023 times)

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
Rumor Mill (0/4; OPEN!)
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:12:50 pm »

Ever wonder how much a piece of juicy information can get distorted from one person to another, changing with each interpretation, mutating and feeding from the fear, anger and spite of speculation until it's nothing but a vicious monster beyond any living being's control?

That, children, is a rumor.

But when employed in a closed environment, sometimes these vicious creatures can be contained -- and are actually quite fun to keep around, somewhat like that fluffy wambler you found out in the forest on a hunting trip that insisted on coming back with you, which lasted right up until it tried to kick a forgotten beast's legs/villi/nameless means of locomotion like a spazzed-out chihuahua.

But maybe that fluffy wambler actually killed the beast. Maybe it was enshrined in glory for its valiant deeds and became the next ruler of Dwarven civilization, sitting atop a throne of toilet paper made of goblin skins and studded with diamonds. But who's to know? Somewhere along the line, the truth got out of our hands, and went careening off in pieces down a bottomless pit. All we have left is our fragile, fertile imaginations as we huddle in our own dark corner of remaining sanity, left to feed the recognizable mass of an idea until it grows, grows, grows beyond mortal ken...

... Hm. Do you remember what we were talking about?
Quote from: Rules
  • First, I'm going to need a minimum of 4 players. Any more are welcome, though!
  • All players will be arranged in a line, based on who is selected to go first.
  • I will use a 6-sided die to randomly select who will go first. That person will then start a rumor by creating any combination of words that can form a full sentence, and then 'whispering' that both to the next person in line, and also to the GM (me) via the private message system (PM) here on Bay 12.
  • The person who was PM'ed will then 'distort the truth' by adding, taking away, or blowing certain things in that sentence out of proportion. They then take their new sentence and pass it on to the next person, who gives it to the next, and so on.
  • This will continue until the line reaches the person directly before whoever the line started with. Once that person PM's me (and me alone) their sentence, I will post all of them together here in this thread, update-style, so we can all see the monster we've created...
NOTE:  Any combination of words is OK, but please try to avoid anything too blatantly trollish. It's just common sense.

Quote from: Example
  • X really likes going to Pizza Hut.
  • X likes pizza with pepperoni and green peppers.
  • X likes pizza with RED-hot korean peppers.
  • X's favorite pizza is the Demilitarized Zone!
Playerlist: 5
Tomasque
DigitalDemon
Kashyyk
Eritzap
tney
(Any additional players will be accepted; 4 is just the minimum I need. I'll start this once I feel I've got as many as I'm going to get in a reasonable period of time.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:31:52 pm by Xvareon »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
Re: Rumor Mill (0/4; OPEN!)
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 10:31:20 pm »

This sounds fun, but I think you need to add something, like a goal for each player, maybe. One little thing that will turn it from a fun experiment into a full-blown game.

Also, IN!
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:44:47 pm »

A goal? Hmm... Do you have any suggestions?

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 10:52:06 pm »

Maybe whoever distorts it most creatively, whilst still keeping relatively similar, wins. Etc.

Anyway, Im in as well.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 07:04:11 am »

An interesting twist on chinese whispers, which doesn't work on forums. I'll join

Eritzap

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 07:36:10 am »

That sounds interesting, I'd like to be part of this.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2015, 07:44:37 am »

In
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2015, 05:45:29 pm »

A goal? Hmm... Do you have any suggestions?
One person needs to change the truth to suit his "evil" needs (which are know publicly) and is always in the game, while another person has one of three "neutral" goals (Such as vilify himself, or make the rumor confusing). The others simply wish to change the meaning simply in jest, so to speak, in a way that will not skew the meaning horribly. People must change at least two words, but may change up to four if they wish.

Maybe you could have it not be in a straight line, either? I know I'm stretching things, but maybe you could make it like this:

^^\
                                /  |  \
                               /   |   v
                              0<-|-->0
                              ^   |   /
                               \   |  /
                                \  v v

Each 0 represents a player, and the arrows denote in which direction the "message" can be passed on.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rumor Mill (5/4; started, but still OPEN!)
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 03:46:58 pm »

This sounds fun, but I think you need to add something, like a goal for each player, maybe. One little thing that will turn it from a fun experiment into a full-blown game.
That sounds like it has promise, I'll admit...  But just for now, I think we should try the first turn straight-up, just to see where it goes, and so we can all get a feel for how this works. If you all want to turn the rumor around a certain way when it comes to be your turn, please, be my guest!

Anyway...  START!

ROUND 1

Roll... ... 4!

Eritzap is the first to start this round! Eritzap, you may craft the start of the rumor using any combination of words to form a full sentence. Then, pass it on to any other person on the list you like via PM, and send another copy of it to me as well. DO NOT post it here in the thread; I will post all pieces of the rumor as one, in order, once everyone has had their turn.
NOTE: You MUST tell me who you send the rumor on to, so that I know who has the next turn so I can mark them accordingly.

The person whose turn it is will be marked by >>red arrows.<<
Anyone who has already taken a turn will have a strikethrough over their name. (If you aren't sure who has had a turn yet and who hasn't, please wait for me to update the list, or PM the other players and ask.)
THE LIST:
Tomasque
DigitalDemon
Kashyyk
Eritzap
>>tntey<<
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:05:43 pm by Xvareon »