Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you want to debate/discuss?

Best Sex Position.
Best method of cooking potatoes.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Peaceful Debate/Discussion Thread. Current Debate: Best way to cook potatoes.  (Read 7227 times)

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
Re: Peaceful Debate Thread. Current Debate: Thinking out loud or No Talking?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2015, 02:38:37 pm »

So we just pick a side and start talking?

TEAM SEAFOOD CHOWDER

I would much rather be silent than have everyone hear everything I think. There are ways around an inability to talk, but the things I think may be offensive, deeply personal, troubling (if I put the spikes on a repeater, the goblins who don't die in the fall will get impaled before they can escape), impossible to say out loud (how would I say music?), or some combination of the above, and other people don't need or want to hear them.

Yeah, this is a good example. I'm not going to participate in the debates hwoever, as we need a fair judge. Also I see things from btoh sides, so debating is/isn't my strong suit.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 03:00:03 pm »

On the one had, if everyone always said what they think loudly, life would be so much easier.
On the other, I would literally melt due to extreme heat in my face. So yeah, nope, I'll rather be silient all the time and type stuff I want to tell people.

By the way, we totally should have an discussion about team names in future.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 03:32:39 pm »

TEAM ASPARAGUS

Yeah, I already do this to some extent. I can just think much better when there's someone listening. And most of the thoughts I don't let out are of the sort that I should let out - so all in all it would be a good thing, really. It would certainly make social life much easier.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 04:34:53 pm »

TEAM SEA CHOWDER

I agree with Baffler, whom I assume is my teammate, humans are fucked up. We have fucked up thoughts and saying these things out loud as they come to us would not be a good thing. For example, do you really want the cashier to know about the kinky, sexy things you want to do to her? Do you really want everyone around you to know your hidden fantasies? If everyone was silent we wouldn't have these problems, and, as Baffler has mentioned, there are ways to get around not being able to talk. Maybe another way of communicating would evolve, a more efficient method that doesn't have the nasty little "misunderstandings" that are present in our language. Honestly being silent would be better.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2015, 04:40:11 pm »

Eh, since most everyone has that sort of fantasy, it would become normal - and any particularly aberrant thoughts would be no worse than excessive body odor is today.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2015, 04:46:10 pm »

Wait, is this for everybody? I thought it was just me. If everyone did it, I'd probably go for Team Asparagus. It might be very awkward at first, and the base level of awkwardness would definitely be higher afterward, but it'd do wonders to weed out crime and corruption.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2015, 10:53:56 pm »

Wait, is this for everybody? I thought it was just me. If everyone did it, I'd probably go for Team Asparagus. It might be very awkward at first, and the base level of awkwardness would definitely be higher afterward, but it'd do wonders to weed out crime and corruption.
I think it's just yourself.
When in doubt, use puns.
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
that's pretty gay

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 10:57:34 pm »

Being a mute would probably make me a better person in a lot of ways.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2015, 03:43:18 am »

Yeah, I think we need to better define the question:

Does it only involve one person, or everyone? And does it only apply to speech, or other mean of communications such a sign language?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2015, 03:51:14 am »

Okay, I'll put this in the OP.

Would you rather be forced to speak your mind, or never communicate again? And this only applies to yourself.
When in doubt, use puns.
that's pretty gay

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2015, 04:52:01 am »

TEAM ASPARAGUS, still. People already know I'm a deviant crypto-fascist Menschenfeind, so it wouldn't make that much of a difference.
The Bay12 postcard club

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2015, 04:53:07 am »

Forced to speak my mind. I'd rather have to police my though somewhat (or find deviant friends) than never being able to communicate again.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2015, 08:51:32 am »

Speak my mind. I already do, wouldn't make much of a difference to have even less discretion. Plus you can use a reputation as one who speaks their mind to your advantage.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 09:12:01 am »

Speak my mind. I'd have to learn how to mutter exceedingly hard, but not being able to communicate verbally, even as a introvert, would eventually be the death of me eventually.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2015, 12:26:36 pm »

If there's no way around it, I'd speak my mind. I might as well be dead if I'm not able to communicate at all. I'd just have to learn to empty my mind.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9