Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Massive Spoilers  (Read 1093 times)

tychoruniko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Massive Spoilers
« on: March 27, 2008, 03:24:00 pm »

Quote from http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Demon  :
quote:
The easiest way to deal with demons, of course, is the "dwarven atom smasher" - crushing demons under a drawbridge will completely destroy them (and anything else). However, this method is frequently seen as somewhat "cheap" and certainly by doing this you deny yourself one of the most fun encounters in Dwarf Fortress.Verify

I love how "The most fun encounters in Dwarf Fortress" is the sentance that needs verifying   :roll: .

I've never found any demons yet, though. Have you? Has anyone found them and survived? How did you do it?

The Dwarves' iconic beard may appear to be made out of facial hair, but its appearance is deceptive. What appears to be long, braided locks is actually a complex organ, which filters alcohol out of the bloodstream much like a human liver. But rather than discard the alcohol as a waste product, it is burned and converted into energy, which explains the lethargy apparent in dwarves that have gone many days without a good drink.

To put it simply: the dwarf is a booze-powered rock-breaker.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Massive Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 03:37:00 pm »

Try "Regional Prospector." It's on the utilities page on the wiki. Quite useful for finding hidden fun stuff.

Drawbridges, as described there, work quite nicely. Every experience i've had with demons has ended in massive amounts of death, fire, and tantrums.

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Tahin ]

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »

Demons come with adamantine, so if you find the former (with Regional Prospector or just luck) then you'll find the latter.

I've heard that the atom smasher now gets smashed by demons, though, so you'll have to find some other way to deal with them.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 03:38:00 pm »

Demons have always been able to destroy bridges, as far as I am aware.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 04:29:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure that bridges used to be invulnerable to everything, including demons, and raising the bridge would successfully seal them away from your fort until you were ready.  Tricky folk would seal the area, and fill the halls with bridges to crush the demons.  It was about the only way to survive to the endgame as a hermit.

But yeah, reports are in now that bridges can be destroyed.  I consider this a bugfix, really.  Next bugfix will be bridges not instakilling anything under them.  I mean, a cavein doesn't instakill everything, why should a bridge do so?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tahin:
<STRONG>Demons have always been able to destroy bridges, as far as I am aware.</STRONG>
I meant more that I'd heard that when you drop a bridge on a demon, the bridge loses.

I've never encountered demons myself, but that's what I've heard.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

i think the wiki notes are from the 2d version.  these days you have to cave the mountain in on them.

i guess i wasnt here when everyone started calling demons "the HFS" but i have to tell you guys that its a totally eronious statement.  demons were always refered to in the dev log as "the endgame encounters" or some such.  "Hidden Fun Stuff" has always meant things like hidden text blurbs when you scroll too far off the edge of the map, or little jokes when you type different strings into the embark equipment list, or maybe even the heads-on-pikes in adventure mode or creatures that talk with a lisp.  

Toady has said that there was more that we never found in the old version, and I think that the constant reference of the totally non-hidden and fully announced and described in the dev-log demons as "HFS" is discouraging people from looking for the REAL hidden stuff.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 08:43:00 pm »

Eh? You don't find them fun? What's wrong with you man! How can you not enjoy burning tentacle monsters engraving "The elf is committing a depraved act on the dwarf" on walls and floors while giant, 16 storey high horned demons wrack havoc upon your puny civilization?

Can you imagine if you didn't know about this? After 20 games, you think you're all that, then... POW! WTFISWITHTHEFIRE!!!! OMGTHEY'REBURNING!!! AHHHH!!!!

It's awesome! The best way to end your fortress.