Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47

Author Topic: Blind Fate - Turn 42 (Updated 2/24)  (Read 48101 times)

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 30 (Updated 12/11)
« Reply #465 on: December 13, 2015, 12:16:52 pm »

"The native humans have apparently adapted trachea to tolerate the volcanic glass in the atmosphere. We aren't so lucky, and if my guess is right, there are also pathogens we need to be aware of. We patched up a colonist in bad shape. He should be with Graves.

If what Nole said is right, we've got ten pods here. What's on your mind?"

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: December 13, 2015, 02:27:50 pm »

"The native humans have apparently adapted trachea to tolerate the volcanic glass in the atmosphere. We aren't so lucky, and if my guess is right, there are also pathogens we need to be aware of. We patched up a colonist in bad shape. He should be with Graves.

If what Nole said is right, we've got ten pods here. What's on your mind?"

"'Native?' I'm not totally sure. I have my own theories as to how these came to be. In any measure, I can't believe they're actually trying to kill each other in this situation. Maybe it really is impossible to farm anything on this world.

If we have ten pods we can probably eat the oxygel for a few days."

Night raises her brow.

"I think we should, if possible, find a way to look at terrain. There was a drone in the prospecting kits sent out. Do you have yours?"

You notice the bald frenchie leaning in to eavesdrop on the conversation.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: December 13, 2015, 02:44:44 pm »

"We did find most of the mining kit. We need to unload the tank first, and we could probably throw together a cell for the frenchies for now.

Tell me, Graves, how long have you been awake? I get the sense you've been here a while."

((Can we assume we're all within earshot of each other?))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 13, 2015, 02:58:50 pm »

((Can we assume we're all within earshot of each other?))

((yup))

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 13, 2015, 05:18:22 pm »

Examine the people around me. Are they sound of mind?
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 13, 2015, 08:30:05 pm »

Cueball looked at the quiet, injured survivor.

"Introduce yourself, colonist."

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 14, 2015, 05:24:17 am »

"My name is S. D. Macgroove, I was a counsellor onboard the ship. How about you?"
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 14, 2015, 10:13:18 pm »

"Call me Cueball. I mostly maintained cryopod systems after the biosphere restabilized. Did odd mechanic work before then. Lost my hair when a saturated carbon filter and a frayed wire got into an argument. Not that you can tell right now, though.

Anyone else care to share? Misewell get the introductions out of the way."

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 14, 2015, 10:18:33 pm »

"I was an engineer in training. I knew some of the systems better than some of the actual engineers."
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 15, 2015, 04:52:34 am »

Graves, apparently having spaced out, comes to.

"Hmm, you guys talking backgrounds? Sync's almost finished. So... if you haven't figured out by now, I didn't come down in a cryopod. I was one of the twelve-some pilots to go down manually, after training for a year or so. Before that, I was a pro in Sky Championship Dueling, ranked 2nd on the leaderboards just before some guy called NightHawkAssassin. Had a few bouts with the guy, but we were good friends, so when we were making preparations I had him placed in a shuttle within the first twenty. I hoped to find him soon.

But, knowing that the shuttles came down a little less... intact than I expected, I kind of fear the worst. That said, I do believe there were five shuttles sent to this general area, including mine. We sent them down in pockets so we could collaborate on landing, but they were dispersed enough so we wouldn't lose them all to bad terrain."

Sneakily follow the officers to see if they lead me to a miniboss.

[1] You try to enter stealth. It doesn't work.

[2] The officers attempt to close the gap, but you are able to evade them for now. It will be difficult to lose them in this clear weather, though.

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 15, 2015, 02:46:44 pm »

"Three more, then. You wouldn't happen to have a master manifest for our group, would you? I've got a few ideas brewing, it'd be excellent to know what we should and shouldn't find around here."

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 16, 2015, 09:14:51 pm »

"Call me Cueball. I mostly maintained cryopod systems after the biosphere restabilized. Did odd mechanic work before then. Lost my hair when a saturated carbon filter and a frayed wire got into an argument. Not that you can tell right now, though.

Anyone else care to share? Misewell get the introductions out of the way."

Nole looks upwards, as if there was anything left to go back to.  "To be honest.  It hardly seems to matter anymore.  When you're building a new life, the past is perhaps best forgotten.  Well, if it's skill sets you're worried about, I don't really have any real specialized training.  But I'm willing to do whatever it takes.  As you might have been able to tell, I've been busy just trying to figure out how we are going to live here.  Some of the local wildlife is edible, but it will probably take some work to get anything to grow."

"just before some guy called NightHawkAssassin."
At the mention of Night's handle, Nole glanced over at Night and make eye contact, but left it to her to speak up or not.

"But, knowing that the shuttles came down a little less... intact than I expected, I kind of fear the worst. That said, I do believe there were five shuttles sent to this general area, including mine. We sent them down in pockets so we could collaborate on landing, but they were dispersed enough so we wouldn't lose them all to bad terrain."
"Speaking of which.  Err... Graves?  Was it?  I just made radio contact with Shuttle G14.  All but one of them has been captured by the, uh, natives.  I tried to pinpoint their location, but there's interference.  With the help of your shuttle perhaps we can get a better lock on them.  There's also the possibility they broke into some sort of cavern from what was being described to me."

"Anyway, we need a plan.  We have some time before our supplies exhaust, but before that happens we need a somewhat sustainable source of food, water, and breathable air.  I volunteer to lead and coordinate that effort.  Cueball, you seem to have a good handle on things.  Can you handle being in charge of locating the remaining shuttles?  Not to say we won't all work on these things, but it's better to coordinate our efforts in a sane way, and have someone in charge to call the shots."

"Do we have anything better to filter the air with, so we don't need the suits?  I made an attempt, but none of the materials I had on hand were suitable.  Graves, what are you wearing?  Do you think that is enough to protect you from the atmosphere?"

How far is Shuttle G2 based on my suit's tracking?

((Stupid training at work about accountability, responsibility, and empowerment.  Got me all riled up.  Now I hate it when people say "We need X, we need Y" and nobody volunteers to do anything about it.))
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 10:05:54 pm by Slayer1557 »

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 17, 2015, 12:28:50 am »

"I can handle a search and rescue. With G2, we should have a better base to work with. You seem to have a good idea of how to actually live here, Nole. If you need help designing a system, let me know...

As far as bare necessities, we can eat the oxygel, I can adapt a combustion motor into a generator with ease, which we can use to power ourselves and our suits, and I can probably rig a pod to distill water.

Hm...

So, fuel. I saw some of the shuttle schematics earlier, basic chemical rockets. If ours weren't too damaged, we could either transfer the fuel or just move the tanks onto G2 like the pod.

With the mining gear, we could probably reinforce the vehicles. Cut out some choice bits from the autos, put some hull in their places, boom. Could maybe even take the viewports and put em on the car. Local weaponry is ancient; I think I was shot. Think.

Maybe make a sled, build a jail... Eh, we'll prioritize soon enough."

And after any responses,

"What did you mean, Graves, farming?"

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 17, 2015, 06:47:16 pm »

Check my inventory for anything I can use as a distraction while I escape.  If I have nothing, look for a place to hide.
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 17, 2015, 07:39:13 pm »

How far is Shuttle G2 based on my suit's tracking?

It is about 17 meters, which matches up well with a visual estimation. The shuttle computer also reports the distance as 17m.

"Interference? I can imagine..." says the stranger, looking up. He isn't wearing a suit, but he claims to be from the ship.
"As for a filter, this gentleman here..." he motions toward S.D. McGroove. "He seems to be wearing a local gas mask without any ill-effects. The high oxygen isn't getting to him I guess, but I imagine breathing this high-oxygen atmosphere for too long is bound to cause some kind of damage. I think our best bet in the long term is to build some kind of habitat with a controlled atmosphere, reinforced so it doesn't implode."

Night seems to have walked off somewhere away from the base. You can't find her inside the shuttle.

"I can handle a search and rescue. With G2, we should have a better base to work with. You seem to have a good idea of how to actually live here, Nole. If you need help designing a system, let me know...

As far as bare necessities, we can eat the oxygel, I can adapt a combustion motor into a generator with ease, which we can use to power ourselves and our suits, and I can probably rig a pod to distill water.

Hm...

So, fuel. I saw some of the shuttle schematics earlier, basic chemical rockets. If ours weren't too damaged, we could either transfer the fuel or just move the tanks onto G2 like the pod.

With the mining gear, we could probably reinforce the vehicles. Cut out some choice bits from the autos, put some hull in their places, boom. Could maybe even take the viewports and put em on the car. Local weaponry is ancient; I think I was shot. Think.

Maybe make a sled, build a jail... Eh, we'll prioritize soon enough."

And after any responses,

"What did you mean, Graves, farming?"

"It's sugar. I don't think it will burn like the hydrocarbons they used back on Earth. But if we inject some oxygen into the mix it might do better.

Oh, you don't know what farming is? It's this old method they used to make food on Earth about a thousand years ago. You put these little things called 'seeds' in the ground, and they grow into a plant much like the decorative ones on the colony ship. But seeds from Earth probably won't grow here, so we didn't include too many in the shuttles. Instead, we should find some local plantlife and learn how to grow that, and then process it into something edible.

I brought a handbook if you want to read it. It's really old, though, so you might not understand some of the English."

He gets a book out from his shuttle. Unlike modern chipbooks, this one is huge! It's about the size of your hand! The cover reads: Grow or Die: The Good Guide to Survival Gardening.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 47