Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 47

Author Topic: Blind Fate - Turn 42 (Updated 2/24)  (Read 48193 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 9 (Updated 10/3)
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2015, 01:48:20 am »

Cabin-Boy activates his universal translator, and speaks to the English speaker, but in Altmer.

((Nooo such thing.))

((Ha ha, full star trek right there.))
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2015, 03:42:34 am »

Look for other survivors while dragging the android around.

Surely other survivors would be noticeable with the hazardsuits. Unless... unless these strange people were thawing people out of stasis and forcing them to. You ask the translator if any pods have been found, and you describe one when he asks you to clarify.
"I would look in the infirmary. Talk to the blonde doctor, she knows Inglish."

In said building, you find the doctor looking over a stasis pod set in place of a bed--there is a mattress shoved up against the wall nearby. Nine other matresses are laid out across a wide hall, but only two are occupied, and both by uniformed soldiers.
The pod has some blood on it, and there is also a light splattering of blood on the floor. "Salvet!" she says.
When you respond to her in English she cuts you off and starts explaining.
"I see, you are one of them. If you are looking for the one from the pod, he is in one of the back rooms. Just go on ahead and turn left. I'll follow you.
But I'm afraid he suffered some lung damage inside that... aquarium. He was coughing blood after his first breath. I'm deeply sorry, but the pod just happened to open when we gave it power."

((Is it okay that I controlled your character's speech for a bit like that? Even if I didn't explicitly write dialogue.))

Cabin-Boy speaks to the english-speaker "Uuuuh..... Hello sir! Do you know of any advanced technology where we are heading? Like a 3D printer?"

Now that there is no confusion and the awful noise of that ambulance is down, there is time for questions. The squad of troops hitched a ride on the ambulance, so the translator is still present.
"Printer? One of our typists is able to transcribe a document if you need, but I don't think I understand what you mean. What is 'three-dee'?"

Spoiler: c (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: s (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 09:23:38 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2015, 04:09:15 am »

((Yeah, it's fine if it's just moving the plot along.))

"...after? There should have been a tank and a mask inside, pure oxygen. Is that nearby? He needs to breathe it before he can handle this toxic atmosphere."

Obtain mask if possible, then help survivor.

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2015, 09:47:34 am »

Quickly stick the barrel of the rifle into the fish's mouth and fire.  This has gotta be worth bonus points!  After the fish explodes, shoot the Trooper enemy if he's still alive, and loot their corpses for rare drops.
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2015, 11:59:00 pm »

Nole turns to look at Mark in the eyes, or as best as he can, since they have the suits on.  With a bit of a joking accent, and a hint of excitement, he says, "That's of no matter.  We have to be flexible!  Now come, there is !!science!! to do!  We gotta figure out how we are going to live here, and we don't have forever to do it!  Make yourself useful." 

Kill the manta with a stab to the top of the head.  (They've been slow and sluggish, right?)  Bring it back along with the fish samples back to the ship debris.  (If manta is too big, cut off a chunk to carry back.)  Retrieve the spare suit and salvage it for parts.  Especially try to get the stuff that is used to reseal the suit, air supply/filters, and circuitry.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2015, 03:17:32 am »

Interesting, very interesting. Wander about the camp casually inspecting the technology, machinery, weaponry and its facilities.

These men seem geared to kill men. I mean, unless they sport a communal interest in hunting, a massive communal interest in hunting.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Blind Fate - Turn 10 (Updated 10/6)
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2015, 04:29:28 am »

1640 GREENHEART TIME, MAY 21st, 301 P.L
ERROR: FAILED TO CONNECT TO INTERNET TIME SERVER.

Mark Johns'son (Pencil_Art):

(No action, but there was a bit of dialogue.)

Nole returns back to the shuttle, although your suit seems to be able to track him. It puts up a little marker to show where he is. You can follow him if you like, or you can continue exploring. There's a lot of rain, but you think you hear running water in the far distance.

There are quite a lot of death fish on the ground. Nole took a few with him. Most of the casualties are red fish, about a fourth are green fish. One of the mantas is missing, as Nole took it with him. It was bleeding really badly before.

Arthur Staunch (Megggas):

[3] You fire one shot but... the fish doesn't explode. The recoil does kick the gun out of the fish, since your grip on it is abysmal, but you manage to hold on.
Afterward, the trooper swings the fish at you, [6] its teeth approaching dangerously close to your helmeted face, but missing.
[6] You haphazardly fire the rifle with one hand, mostly missing but (2-1) getting one shot off squarely at his chest (6+1) but... he doesn't flinch. This one must have somehow acquired Super Armor! There is no HP bar to be shown but you are certain he took damage. He had to.

The gun makes a loud clang and refuses to fire anymore. A small piece of clip flies out and hits your chin. With that, the Trooper runs--while reloading his pistol.
"Hrunter einz!" he shouts, his voice mostly drowned out by the rain. The voice acting is actually quite convincing, it's almost as if he was actually threatening you.

Spoiler: Status,Traits,Invntory (click to show/hide)

Cueball (Paphi):

"We figured. It didn't last long, though. He's been on an iron lung for some time although I'm not sure his situation is getting any better."

She takes you to the back room, where you see the survivor on a raised bed next to a large cylinder studded with machinery, vacuum tubes, and controls.
The survivor breaths through a mask, stained with blood on the inside. His skin also has an unsightly rash all over, but especially around his lips and hands.
He wears a gown procured from the infirmary, though he rests beneath an azure blanket made of a thick, coarse fabric.

"I think his lungs may have been damaged by that fluid he was submerged in. I imagine it's some sort of technology that we don't know about, something that lets him breath it like air. Is that correct?"
Partly. The oxygel re-oxygenates through diffusion, although the body doesn't require much oxygen to begin with in stasis. The majority of the stasis tube's power draw comes from the cellular repair mechanisms, the details of which are classified to most colonists (in order to minimize the chance of the pods being used as bioweapons).

You also noticed something that wasn't readily apparent before, but is now obvious since the light in this room is dim and hangs from a cable on the ceiling: there is some sort of fine dust in the air, forming a haze around the yellow bulb.

Nyar Donovon (WunderKatze):

Near the armory, where you're technically not allowed to be (but you figure the rain and fog will hide you well enough. The huts are made of metal, probably aluminium, and painted black, the same color as your suit), there are spare parts and HUGE SHELLS lying around. You even spot a few links of track stacked against the wall, under an awning, before you hear sandy footsteps and retreat.
The footsteps came from two engineers, who just walked what looks to be a 1.5m gun barrel out of the shop. They set it aside in the mud and go to the back of the armory, where there are a lot of crates stacked. They take an identical barrel out of one and hoist it back inside the shop.

You look at the antenna on top of the radio shack. It's huge, primitve, and looks like it's going to break off and stab you in the biomonitor any time now.

There is a rain barrel near every building. In the barracks there is also a kitchen where they hand out sandwiches and other foods.

In the back of the camp, there is a shooting range. You can tell because you hear gunshots.

The men, two in number, are firing semi-automatic rifles with five-round clips at human-shaped targets. The heads on the targets, made of wood, have been riddled with holes, as are the hearts.
One of them takes notice of you. He twitches for a moment when you step near, but then turns around and smiles.
"I hear you guys are Inglishfolk. It's mostly a dead language down here, but all the churchmen speak it. By the way, the name's Enzio Pendraco."
The other man finishes a shot, then sets his rifle down and turns. He wears a balaclava over his mouth and nose, as well as a thick scarf made of waterproof material, and he wears what look to be diving goggles.
"Name's Ricardo Graves. I think you and I have something in common. Enzio, mind if I run off with him for a bit?"
"Not at all."

Nole (Slayer1557):

The arrowfish blade doesn't cut deep, but it breaks the skin. It doesn't really respond to your killing it, nor do the others. [6] Some of the green fish flop around out of the slime nearby when you lift the manta over your shoulders (it's roughly the weight of a child, so you can handle it), but they stop after a few seconds.

With that, you get a good look at the critter's underside. It's mostly one giant, slimy foot resembling the underside of a snail (you keep the slimy part facing away from you). It also has a wide slit toward the front, which doesn't seem to be controlled by muscles. It just sort of flops open, and is filled with sand bits when you look inside.
Then you return to base.

You have three extra suits, so dismantling one shouldn't hurt. It consists of the following parts:
-A self-repairing multilayer fabric (about 2mē), almost as breakable as human skin, but also repairing much faster. It backfills any holes with a black gel that hardens on contact with oxygen.
-The helmet computer with several peripherals dangling from it: a wireless communicator, a directional radio antenna that sticks up above your head, and a power distribution system.
-A pane of Library glass (can turn opaque or display images, albeit on both sides equally) and a retinal eyetracker/projector. Both are normally connected to the helmet computer.
-A 10kg graphene battery capable of powering the suit and its functions for about 48 hours on Earthlike conditions, although it can vary based on temperature and atmosphere. Stored in the backpack.

-Lots of sensors used to monitor biosigns and body temperature.
-An atmospheric regulator that sifts out oxygen and scrubs CO2. It and the heat pump are the bulk of the suit's power draw.
-A heat pump as well as several dozen meters of tubing coiled up in a knot. It can keep a human warm well below zero, but in these conditions it halves the battery life. It can also cool down the user at similar cost.
-10L Oxygen and Nitrogen tanks as well as twelve CO2 filters. They are easy to replace and there is room for a larger tank variant.
-A water reclamation system, used to recycle water. There's a straw inside the helmet that you can drink from.

-Bits of basic circuitry used to control switches and power regulation, including power FETs, LED's, relays, and a lot of resistors. Most of the stuff is actually ziptied together rather than PCB mounted, perhaps to aid repair.

CAB-iN-Boy 1000 (DigitalDemon):

Now that there is no confusion and the awful noise of that ambulance is down, there is time for questions. The squad of troops hitched a ride on the ambulance, so the translator is still present.
"Printer? One of our typists in the tents is able to transcribe a document if you need, but I don't think I understand what you mean. What is 'three-dee'?"

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blind Fate - Turn 10 (Updated 10/6)
« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2015, 04:27:34 pm »

Give chase and tackle the trooper.  Steal his weapon and shoot him in the foot.  Then shoot his other foot.  Continue using my guns to shoot each part of his body.  This miniboss has to have a weak spot somewhere!

(Most of my actions up to this point have been suicidal and dangerous.  Let's see how much longer my luck holds  :P)
Due to Real Life reasons, I have to disappear for awhile.  Take me out of all games that I'm participating in.  Sorry.

Slayer1557

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 06, 2015, 06:01:28 pm »

Give chase and tackle the trooper.  Steal his weapon and shoot him in the foot.  Then shoot his other foot.  Continue using my guns to shoot each part of his body.  This miniboss has to have a weak spot somewhere!

(Most of my actions up to this point have been suicidal and dangerous.  Let's see how much longer my luck holds  :P)
((Believe me, if I had been around you for any length of time, I would have reigned you in, but as fate would have it, you did shenanigans while I was inside the ship, and then we just missed each other.  Well, it'll be funny at least.))

Paphi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2015, 06:30:02 pm »

"How long has he been out of the pod? And where did you find him?"

When they powered it? Didn't our pods open when they died...?

Roll for pod special function knowledge, since Cueball was important and stuff.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2015, 08:47:43 pm »

((What you're doing is perfectly valid gameplay. And since the battle system leads to failures more often than not due to the double defensive rolls, I would say it's working out.))

However, you don't have other guns. You took the rifle, but he still has his pistol.

"How long has he been out of the pod? And where did you find him?"

When they powered it? Didn't our pods open when they died...?

Roll for pod special function knowledge, since Cueball was important and stuff.

"One of our scout teams found it four hours ago, but we only powered it on three hours ago. Getting it here was a hassle.

He was north in the landshadow."

[5] The pods from your shuttle were activated using the backup-backup battery about forty minutes ago, which is reserved just for emergency thaw in these sorts of cases. If both the emergency battery and the regular battery are damaged however, the pod will not thaw the user until repowered. That could have happened to the dead guy in one of your shuttle's pods, although it must have failed long ago while it was still on the ship, leading to deoxygenation of the gel and subsequent mass cell death.

As for this survivor's pod, you look around at the exposed electronics on the foot side (the locals must have pried off the plating over it) and try to diagnose the issue. Most importantly, the batteries have been removed! They could have fallen out during the crash, thanks to the modular design, but it's not certain from the state of the pod. Either way, the oxygel is mostly intact and fully oxygenated.

You don't know what "landshadow" means, if that's relevant to the pod's function.

New miniquest (counts as the miniquest for your next roll)

(Miniquest) Inside Job: Find out what happened to the batteries (Reward: +1 to modifying electronics and computers)

Megggas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 06, 2015, 08:53:56 pm »

((What you're doing is perfectly valid gameplay. And since the battle system leads to failures more often than not due to the double defensive rolls, I would say it's working out.))

However, you don't have other guns. You took the rifle, but he still has his pistol.

((I specified in my action that I wanted to steal his pistol.  I would use that if I succeed.))

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 06, 2015, 10:59:49 pm »

"Name's Ricardo Graves. I think you and I have something in common. Enzio, mind if I run off with him for a bit?"

Gawd he better not be some sort of actor, I was only kidding about the drama thing! "I see." Or perhaps he's also casually masochistic, entirely sarcastic and part of the disenfranchised youth...

... I doubt the later. Although I must admit this man has some serious gear. "So you a diver? Or a traveling performer?" I am also a diver. That is... A holy diver \m/.

Follow this man to where he leads me. I hope I can at least get my hands on a sword before this is over.

"Oh, I am lederglo... Lederglorio.... Call me Nyar."

((I should probably start coloring my dialogue so it can be made out among all the rabble.))
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:07:37 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 06, 2015, 11:16:16 pm »

"I see."

"So you a diver? Or a traveling performer?"

"Yes, a diver sounds about right," he mutters.

You go out into the field, far enough so that nobody can hear you speak, although...
You hear a message through the suit's radio.

"A skydiver perhaps... hey, you there? I need you to tell me if you've found any other survivors. There's a group I'm looking for."

((Cabinboy and Cueball also hear the message, but nobody else does))

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 06, 2015, 11:22:31 pm »

This is an empty field... Is this some kind challenge to mortal combat? Watch Graves for signs of aggression, if he attacks me then launch fierce and decisive counterattack.

"A skydiver? You jump out of airplanes? Or is he some kind of pilot.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 47