Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Killing your dwarves  (Read 2495 times)

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Killing your dwarves
« on: September 11, 2015, 09:58:38 pm »

So I made a long building on the surface where I locked up six dwarves who were injured by a were mongoose and I want them dead instead of drawing it out. If I carve fortifications, put target dummies on one side. Marks dwarves on the other, will they shoot the other dwarves trying to get a hit?
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: Killing your dwarves
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:31:24 pm »

Oddly enough, friendly fire is almost never a problem for Dwarves.  If you really want them straight up dead, a long fall is the easiest solution.  Channel out a small pit (~10z should suffice), construct a bridge at the top, burrow your infected, and release.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 11:06:55 pm »

Oddly enough, friendly fire is almost never a problem for Dwarves.  If you really want them straight up dead, a long fall is the easiest solution.  Channel out a small pit (~10z should suffice), construct a bridge at the top, burrow your infected, and release.
If you're already building a bridge, wouldn't it be easier to atom-smash them? 10z isn't a guaranteed death, and they can go weremongoose to heal and climb back up the pit. Not to mention the time/risk on digging that pit due to dwarven stupidity.

Even if the marksdwarves worked, you'd potentially have a loyalty cascade if the werebeast changes back before it dies.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 11:27:34 pm »

If you're already building a bridge, wouldn't it be easier to atom-smash them? 10z isn't a guaranteed death, and they can go weremongoose to heal and climb back up the pit. Not to mention the time/risk on digging that pit due to dwarven stupidity.

Even if the marksdwarves worked, you'd potentially have a loyalty cascade if the werebeast changes back before it dies.

You will need to either bury or memorize your dwarves if you don't want them coming back as ghosts. Atom-smashing removes the body, forcing you to create slabs, and it's a little harder to churn out 10 engraved slabs compared to 10 wooden caskets.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 11:36:46 pm »

Just deny them food and drink and go about the business of recovery. If you don't want to worry about the building or retrieving the dead, just lock it up, build six slabs while they're alive, and engrave the honorable dead on them as they die.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2015, 12:14:30 am »

...and it's a little harder to churn out 10 engraved slabs compared to 10 wooden caskets.
Don't underestimate the danger of trees or you might be building 11 of them. (Though, seriously, what are you going to do with all the rocks you get from digging the 10z pit? Wood is better used for training bolts and barrels. Plus there's the whole shocked by corpse experience.)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2015, 01:40:59 am »

Just deny them food and drink and go about the business of recovery. If you don't want to worry about the building or retrieving the dead, just lock it up, build six slabs while they're alive, and engrave the honorable dead on them as they die.

Werecreatures transform before the effects of starvation/dehydration become deadly, which resets their food/thirst counter.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2015, 02:06:34 am »

The real question is why in Armok's name you are planning to destroy six dwarves who may be just about indestructible otherwise? Were-curse dwarves heal all injuries once a month, meaning that as long as you can keep them alive for slightly less than a month after each battle, they will never die. What you have there is an abundance of potential supersoldiers, not lepers. Just stick them in individual rooms in individual squads and make their bed be a barracks and leave them to train non stop. Let them stew for a few years and voila, super soldiers. Also a handy bonus is the fact that they will never go insane, as their bad thoughts get reset every month.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2015, 06:55:29 am »

Nah their too risky to keep around. I'm rusty with burrows so I'm not going to atom smash them yet. I'm going to wait for them to die.nthen I'll have the last survivor if their is one start work under a bridge, and I'll atom smash him. Time to get the tombs ready
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2015, 07:07:07 am »

Nah their too risky to keep around. I'm rusty with burrows so I'm not going to atom smash them yet. I'm going to wait for them to die.nthen I'll have the last survivor if their is one start work under a bridge, and I'll atom smash him. Time to get the tombs ready

I'm not an expert but don't their hunger/thirst also get reset every month?

Edit: ninja'ed

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2015, 07:29:08 am »

Well I know at least one or two are were mongoose. That means the ones that aren't will be torn apart. And frankly I wish it said who got bitten on the logs instead of 'fisher dwarf' of which I have all three injured. Actually I could have gone through their individual logs... But that doesn't matter. Maybe, just maybe.... This quarantine building is topside. Whatever beast is left alive, I will keep him locked up in that building. Should an invasion ever come, I will lock the doors to my fort and unleash the werebeast, how does that sound?

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2015, 07:46:38 am »

Since you have them locked up anyway, you could just build another, support-supported ceiling above the regular ceiling and drop it in. Easy peasy.

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2015, 07:54:42 am »

That is true. Though instead I'm thinking of dropping in armor and weapons to the survivors and have them train for eternity until duty calls, among the mangled corpses of the children and founding dwarves they slaughtered. Will that desensitize them?

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2015, 10:47:07 am »

Will that desensitize them?

Quite possibly. Seeing dead bodies has a weird effect in this version.

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2015, 10:59:15 am »

oh yeah he's plenty desensitized now. I turned him into the militia man and told him to attack the elf merchants because all they brought was junk. i let him out. in the middle of it he turned into a were mongoose and killed one elf while the other ran off. Then as my dwarves were fleeing to their burrows, he killed two when they were so freaking close to the door.  I locked him back up. Im making tombs all over the top, i have eight so far. He had also killed his daughter when she transformed. Im setting up statues for each tomb.
Pages: [1] 2