Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: The Illustrated Dwarf  (Read 26923 times)

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Illustrated Dwarf
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2016, 02:06:09 pm »

What could possibly go wrong?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is very little blood in this story, actually.  I did it with help from my kids, and did not want to traumatize them too much. 
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

• Bay Watcher
  • Heresy will not be tolerated
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2016, 02:15:29 pm »

+1
We have a rich tradition of percussion instruments as well, all of which are based around a musician smacking variously sized hollow rocks.
It was quite brutal actually. Who knew you could suffer major head trauma from undergarments?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2016, 07:10:10 pm »

Have your kids played Dwarf Fortress?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2016, 09:05:06 am »

Have your kids played Dwarf Fortress?

Not really.  It is too detailed for them.  They kind of play with me a bit.  And they love the stories.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2016, 04:51:25 pm »

Oh, I see.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2016, 05:18:05 pm »

I approve of this greatly, and will return to actually read it when I've got the time.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Kadian

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon (Semi-wild)
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2016, 12:04:11 pm »

I guess your kids are pretty young? I can see why you don't let them play Dwarf Fortress - Kids with a lot of imagination and Dwarves, getting ripped apart by Forgotten Beasts doesn't mix well. Especially when they name a dwarf after themself and kinda roleplay.
You're definitely right though, the Stories are great. Always, DF is amazing at telling funny, heroic and awkward stories  :D

In any case, i really love your art, can't wait for the next one.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2016, 03:03:28 pm »

Wile E. Coyote is not a good role model.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2016, 03:24:25 pm »

Having had a chance to read it, damn this is good. Please continue!
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2016, 05:17:32 pm »

And they love the stories.
I only see my niece two or three times a year, but since i told her some stories of DF, she asks me for more every time I see her !
Gore + fun + absurd is always working very well with children.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2016, 05:27:09 pm »

Awesomeness.

PTW
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2016, 02:27:19 pm »

Dwarf Fortress stories are like old fairy tales that kids used to be told. Brave heroes, terrible monsters, treasure, hubris and everyone meets a horrible end.

Also PTW

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2016, 06:15:05 pm »

This is totally what bronze looks like.

Dwarf Fortress stories are like old fairy tales that kids used to be told. Brave heroes, terrible monsters, treasure, hubris and everyone meets a horrible end.

Also PTW

I tend to think of Dwarf Fortress as a sort of Icelandic Saga.  Long involved stories of who did what to whom where.  And blood all over the place.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2016, 01:31:22 pm »

Fluffy wambler in 3...2...1...
Sigtext

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 29, 2016, 09:49:12 am »

"Cause if he catch you in the cave, finding loot to hock
He's going to send you back to mother in a cardboard box
You'd better run. . . "

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12