Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: 9/11 thread  (Read 6092 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: 9/11 thread
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 02:01:10 pm »

MFW FUCK YEAH A'MURICA

(I know what you are thinking.  Yes, I am actually an eagle-a'murican.)
If I come across a person who seems to completely ignore the existence of apostrophes and capital letters and types things like "im an eagle and im typing with my talons, so dont make fun of me cuz this is hard," I like to imagine that they actually are an eagle typing with their talons.  It would be a hassle if you had to hop in the air and use your feet to karate-chop two keys simultaneously every time you wanted to use the shift key to make a capital letter.   Also, eagles lack manual dexterity, so I can understand why they'd want to leave out apostrophes.  Eagles are all about efficiency.

I'm sorry, but this is all that I can think of. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 02:10:51 pm »

Ahhh... 2001.

Teenage crushes. Masturbation. School bullying. Osama and crumbling Twin Towers on TV. One minute of silence on a crisp September morning. 9/11-themed Java games in computer class. Duke3D mod with tacky sprites that looked vaguely like terrorists...

Those were innocent times...  ; ~ ;

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 02:19:00 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 02:20:45 pm »

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the general level of both knowledge and sanity being displayed in this thread. I routinely speak to people in real life who believe that Iraq was responsible for the destruction of the twin towers, and that we should "nuke the middle east and pave it over into a parking lot."

Like, literally, they specify the entire middle east, and want to, quote: "nuke all those fuckers" whether or not they're even in Iraq.

I have had that exact conversation many times.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 03:05:20 pm »

I'm actually pleasantly surprised with the general level of both knowledge and sanity being displayed in this thread. I routinely speak to people in real life who believe that Iraq was responsible for the destruction of the twin towers, and that we should "nuke the middle east and pave it over into a parking lot."

Like, literally, they specify the entire middle east, and want to, quote: "nuke all those fuckers" whether or not they're even in Iraq.

Well, it's less crazy when you remember, as has been pointed out here several times, that Iraq had nothing to do with it. If there was going to be some kind of nuclear retaliation for 9/11 the smartest thing to do would be to drop a high-yield (for the design-type) cobalt bomb on Mecca
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 03:09:58 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 03:11:55 pm »

drop a high-yield cobalt bomb on Mecca

the smartest thing to do

uwotm8

the only way that could possibly approach meriting the use of the word "smart" is if the kaaba turned out to be a decepticon and even then
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 03:15:21 pm »

I completely agree. The only credible threat to American freedom is panicking idiots and sleazy opportunistic politicians.
And the Chinese in the pacific

It's not the suicide attack that got me about 9/11 or the way that hundreds of office workers went from checking their emails to suffocating to death in a few minutes. Those are horrifying, but like many news stories it all becomes abstract. Like the people all dying from medical malpractice, but that's an even worse case: it doesn't have a stark image like 9/11. I'm cynical like that because that's easy mode for tragedies.
But cynicism doesn't work for everything. What got me was the people in the World Trade Center who killed themselves. Many died by accident trying to climb away, but there must have been those who decided that they would throw themselves off the building.
2,000 were murdered on that day. But more then that are killed every other day. But among those people there were those who, consciously or unconsciously, ignored their will to survive. The most intrinsic part of a human being, the need to keep on living, was replaced with a choice: do you want to die in a fire or fall to your death?
That's what makes 9/11 what it is. Those people didn't know they'd kill themselves on that day; some of them might have not even considered it.
I can die any day, but what scares me is knowing I would decide to die.
Same. When it happened it was just another tragedy; then it struck me just how hard it was listening to those people losing hope on the emergency line - I still can't forget him screaming to God before the building fell on him.

To be clear, I was more wondering "Why Iraq and not Afghanistan (that actually had stuffto do with 9/11), or Vietnam, or the USS Cole, or any other occasion where US soldiers died."
I guess the answer is more "hastily put together OP" than anything else.
Why not Saudi Arabia is another question

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 03:16:20 pm »

https://twitter.com/eclectrica/status/377821929321017344/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw
I can't stop laughing. I'm probably a bastard for it, but there must have been someone that thought the words 'mini muffins' were acceptably somber to place anywhere near a memorial, and that makes it somehow ok to me. Then someone decided to put a time limit on their memorial, because... commemorative mini muffins. People just scarf them down if you let them.
Edit: Oops, that's two years old. Still.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 03:16:32 pm »

drop a high-yield cobalt bomb on Mecca

the smartest thing to do

uwotm8

the only way that could possibly approach meriting the use of the word "smart" is if the kaaba turned out to be a decepticon and even then

I said if there was nuclear retaliation. LordBucket had expressed bewilderment at the facts that 1.) a lot of people advocated retaliating to 9/11 with nukes and 2.) that Iraq wasn't where these places wanted the nukes to come down. So I said that issue 2 is actually understandable, since Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11. On the other hand, most of the hijackers were Saudi Arabian, and ALL of them were muslim, so Mecca would make a more sensib;e target than anywhere in Iraq if there was going to be nuclear retaliation loke in bewildering state,ent 1.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 03:22:51 pm »

nuking the holiest site of the islamic faith out of the blue would have half the world jihading against US, and the other half condeming US as a mindless destructor of humanity cultural heritage

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2015, 03:23:54 pm »

I completely agree. The only credible threat to American freedom is panicking idiots and sleazy opportunistic politicians.
And the Chinese in the pacific

As far as threats to American freedom in the Pacific, China doesn't even make the top 5. Austrailia, New Zealand, Japan, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore, and Brunei all pose a more imminent danger.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2015, 03:25:32 pm »

... the sensibility involved in that "more sensible" is so far in the negatives it would be experiencing integer wraparound were it evaluated in an old computer system. Guess this is a brand of insanity that probably shouldn't be engaged with, so... yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2015, 03:27:07 pm »

Wut? How is Brunei a threat to the US?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2015, 03:29:31 pm »

nuking the holiest site of the islamic faith out of the blue would have half the world jihading against US, and the other half condeming US as a mindless destructor of humanity cultural heritage

Do you want to be invaded by a coalition of world governments? Because that's how you get invaded by a coalition of world governments.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2015, 03:33:15 pm »

Wut? How is Brunei a threat to the US?
They're a part of the Trans-Pacific Partnership. I didn't say they were a threat to the US, just that they were a threat to freedom in he US; just as every country in that agreement is a threat to the freedom of every other country in the agreement.

... the sensibility involved in that "more sensible" is so far in the negatives it would be experiencing integer wraparound were it evaluated in an old computer system. Guess this is a brand of insanity that probably shouldn't be engaged with, so... yeah.

I never said it was sensible, just that it would be more sensible than nuking Iraq (which would also get us invaded by a coalition of world governments)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7