Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: 9/11 thread  (Read 6099 times)

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
9/11 thread
« on: September 11, 2015, 10:16:13 am »

As the title states this a 9/11 thread I decided to make. I haven't checked if there is one in the archives but I just wanted to quickly say to any veterans or survivors from New york or the war in Iraq: Thank you.

I recently saw a Sniper in my college's panel and how shook up he was and his stories of PTSD. I hope and pray for the best for him and anyone who lost anything at that time.

Every year I forget just how much hurt and emotion is still in the air after the dust settled. I mean simple math 2001 - 2015= 14 years ago. That's all I have to say and may everyone have a nice day.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: 9/11 thread
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 10:22:11 am »

*sigh* Yep, it's that time of the year again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 10:27:09 am »

Obligatory jet fuel can't melt my feels

Joshua Ryne Goldberg of Orange Park, Florida, has been charged with distribution of information relating to explosive, destructive devices and weapons of mass destruction, U.S. Attorney A. Lee Bentley III of the Middle District of Florida said Thursday in a news release.
Post claimed man had 'a vast network of mujahideen'
According to a criminal complaint, authorities tied the 20-year-old Goldberg to the online pseudonym as "Australi Witness" and "AusWitness," a Muslim living in Australia who was promoting jihad around the world.
http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/10/us/9-11-memorial-bomb-plot-kansas-city-missouri/
It's a statement of how funny I find the world when a Jewish man training a Mujahadeen to attack a synagogue is not shocking to me anymore

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 10:31:32 am »

Fourteen years and people still are hung up on this and keep bringing it up. Please, people who are still grieving and having flashbacks: Seek professional help. It's been over a decade. The mourning period is long over, and continuing to dwell on the events of the past, long after we've inflicted massively disproportionate retribution, is doing nothing but hurting everyone involved and then some.

The only way to thank the memory of those who suffered in the attacks and the atrocities that came after is to get your life back on track, start living well, and let the past be the past. Stop bringing it up. Give thanks by leaving it be and letting the hurt die, instead of insisting on continuing to annually inflict it upon the survivors and everyone else effected by what came after.

---

Yet another year this gets dragged back up. I had bloody family within sight distance of the towers when they fell, more that went to help with the recovery, others that spent time in the Middle East in the interim years, multiple friends and acquaintances that got fucked up by military service during the same period, and this unending hangup is not helping.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 10:56:21 am »

In 20 years this will be a day where you can get a great deal on a new mattress. Kids might even get the school day off.
Nah, I don't know about that. Nobody does Pearl Harbor Day sales.
Except this guy.
And these guys.

But y'know...nobody you'd actually hit your brakes to avoid. The first guy is vaguely understandable -- it was 1984 and the Japanese were making serious inroads into the US auto market.
The other one....I dunno, Pearl Harbor = bald eagles dual-wielding AR15s or some shit

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 11:03:05 am »

My first memory of 9/11 was two years later; I asked why everyone always cried on 9/11 and they showed me all the videos and stuff and I was just like, "Oh. That happened? Crazy." Not to belittle the losses of others, just as a young person, it doesn't really effect me personally.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 11:19:52 am »

People died on this day.  Among the many others who die every other day of the year.  Fuck ya, Murricah.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 11:23:49 am »

the terrorists won, gg

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 11:25:12 am »

... was that ya meant to be yeah or you? I'm guessing the former, but it's probably better to get confirmation before someone misunderstands. 'Cause, uh. Irritated as folks bringing it back up after so long can make me, the latter would be going a bit too far.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 11:25:22 am »

/ Wonder why the OP is thanking the vets that invaded an unrelated country /

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 11:29:57 am »

Point of order: Iraq never had anything to do with the hijackings. Of the 20 terrorists, 15 were from US ally Saudi Arabia, 2 from UAE, and one each from Egypt and Lebanon. The organization as a whole originated from throughout the region and was ultimately operated by a member of the Saudi Arabian royal family.

Visiting members of the SA royal family were given special dispensation to leave the USA immediately following the attacks; for a brief while, they were in the only aircraft flying over the United States.

Pakistan remained a major supply route for the USA during the wars, while knowingly harboring Osama Bin Laden not far from a major military training center.

Oh, and Clinton staffers left reports about a hypothetical attack against American assets using hijacked planes. Bush-era staff ignored them. While that doesn't make them culpable, it does make them negligent for no better reason than to play politics.

After the attacks, Bush and Cheney manipulated public option and outright lied to produce the illusion that Iraq had any connection whatsoever to the hijackers other than consisting largely of brown people; their efforts were so successful that even today, people believe that terrorist WMDs were at some point discovered in Iraq.

There have been worse presidencies, but very few have so carefully and so callously taken advantage of such a tragedy in order to compound it with senseless war.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 11:35:09 am »

at a guess

because soldiers don't generally have the autonomy to say things like "hey let's not actually shoot these people"

military culture relies on a huge amount of trust that the guys giving the orders know what they're doing and are acting in good faith, because many operations need to be executed without anybody knowing what everybody's doing and all sorts of further complications

just about the only thing you can reliably blame soldiers for is war crimes, and that's only because those are things laid out by an independent source as universally bad - the soldier still is not expected to make a judgment call

and don't forget that the vets had been fed the same bullshit the rest of us had, only in an environment where questioning intel has been drilled into their heads as a stupid fucking idea

basically OP is thanking the mail carriers for still doing their jobs during a mailbombing crisis

But yes, the administration responsible for orchestrating the invasion was a tremendous pile of shit.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 11:38:11 am »

aannndd baug said everything I was about to, so, uh.

Yeah, any enmity in the US generally isn't directed at the soldiers themselves. The generals, the politicians, sometimes lesser commanding officers, that happens. The vets, the rank and file... no. They're basically the state's sacred cow. To an extent, they have to be, considering the amount of support they can require if they come back alive. Even with that post-discharge integration has pretty serious troubles. Without it... things could get pretty bad.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:40:27 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 11:43:28 am »

400,000 Americans die every year from medical malpractice. That's two 9/11s per week. Where's their memorial and politicians demanding to get this fixed? Terrorism is one of the least likeliest ways to die, hands-down. The soldiers aren't to blame but politicians who loudly speak about protecting American lives should be taken with a grain of salt if they don't also lobby to prevent things that causes two 9/11s scale tragedies per week.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 11:55:04 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 11:46:20 am »

... let's also not do the suffering olympics thing, either. Please?
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7