Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: is obsidian good?  (Read 3066 times)

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
is obsidian good?
« on: March 27, 2008, 10:31:00 am »

becuase i started a new fort right on the beach had to build walls to keep ocean at bay and i dug inot the mountain and all im getting is obsiian and would like to know if it any good and as i hve the ocean at my finger tips im going to build some intereting traps =p
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: is obsidian good?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 10:33:00 am »

obsidian makes good swords, it is also a valuable material for construction, improving the value of rooms or items that include it.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:38:00 am »

sweet takes im getting tons of it lol and also having a to fight the dam wave for 20 minutes building my dam wall lol
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 02:39:00 pm »

Your stone crafter(s) should level up quickly if you keep making stone craft/mugs/toys/instruments. (It's much easier and cheaper levelling up a stone crafter than a weaponsmith).

Depending on how much of the stuff you have available (hundreds? thousands?) I'd suggest keeping some Obsidian for later to make high-quality *obsidian swords*.

(Apparently Obsidan weapons are exactly as good as steel, but that's not verified. I found the info here: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Weapon  )

So the hardcore approach would probably be to forbid Obsidian until your mason and stonecrafter have levelled up, and then make high-quality weapons and furniture (or even blocks to build walls with) from the Obsidian  :)

[ March 27, 2008: Message edited by: Samyotix ]

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 04:58:00 pm »

I wish you could make spears out of it. And no, I don't want to mess around with little files and make it smeltable or whatever; that's just not the same. That would be like encrusting a rough sunstone (if that) on Toady One's ☼Basalt Mug☼. Just doesn't feel right and gives me the heebies.

Anyway

Yeah, obsidian is Good. You want that. It's still used in scalpel blades.

quote:
Because of the lack of crystal structure, obsidian blade edges can reach almost molecular thinness, leading to its ancient use as projectile points, and its modern use as surgical scalpel blades.[1]

Imagine! Your own trap full of scalpels!

Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 11:11:00 pm »

Original:

code:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT]
[NAME:short sword:short swords]
[DAMAGE:100:SLASH]
[WEIGHT:30]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[CRIT_BOOST:1]
[TWO_HANDED:4]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:4]
[CAN_STONE]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR]
[NAME:spear:spears]
[DAMAGE:100:PIERCE]
[WEIGHT:40]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[CRIT_BOOST:2]
[TWO_HANDED:5]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]

Fixed:

code:

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT]
[NAME:short sword:short swords]
[DAMAGE:100:SLASH]
[WEIGHT:30]
[SKILL:SWORD]
[CRIT_BOOST:1]
[TWO_HANDED:4]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:4]
[CAN_STONE]

[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR]
[NAME:spear:spears]
[DAMAGE:100:PIERCE]
[WEIGHT:40]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[CRIT_BOOST:2]
[TWO_HANDED:5]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:5]
[CAN_STONE]

And that's it.  You don't need to make a new world, you don't even need to start a new fort.  It can be applied to any and every weapon in the item_weapon.txt file.  This is easy a modification as it can possibly get, I've used it numerous times to get obsidian spears, axes, hammers Etc...

And it doesn't stop there.  Is there another rock you'd like to make swords out of?  Find it in one of the stone files, and add [SHARP] to the stone of your choice.  That's it.  No smelting involved.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 08:57:00 am »

is there a way to use obsidian like a gem?
i was in a museum this we and i seen obsidian in real it is so-so beautyfull it would be nice to make gems with it
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 09:46:00 am »

obsidian is often found near magma.... keep on diggin' !
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 08:18:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mohreb el Yasim:
<STRONG>is there a way to use obsidian like a gem?
i was in a museum this we and i seen obsidian in real it is so-so beautyfull it would be nice to make gems with it</STRONG>

That'd be a bit trickier. Obsidian functions as a regular stone for the most part (it's use in swords being an exception), which is quite different from gem stones in the game. You'd probably need to add obsidian as a gem stone, and generate a new world. Perhaps make small clusters of 'gem-quality obsidian' appear inside the clusters of obsidian?

I don't know if mucking around with glass in the raws is possible, but if it is, the most logical solution would be to give obsidian all the properties of glass, since that's more or less what it is. I'm gonna go drive myself insane trying to implement this now...

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 10:48:00 am »

i hade it done  :D
ok it is an artifact with obsidian encrusted init but i am happy that i had just spoke about obsidian encrusting on forum and after i had an artefact with it.
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 11:08:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Mohreb el Yasim:
<STRONG>is there a way to use obsidian like a gem?
i was in a museum this we and i seen obsidian in real it is so-so beautyfull it would be nice to make gems with it</STRONG>

Well, one could add "fine obsidian gem" to the rock raws, and have it appear in obsidian layers. Funny thing about obsidian; like diamonds, it degrades into much more common elements gradually; diamond becomes graphite and Obsidian becomes perlite in groundwater and a number of other minerals on the surface... but it takes millions of years.

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 03:17:00 am »

Is Obsidian magma-proof like Bauxite? I can't see it listed in Magma-safe materials on the wiki but it's found in contact with magma in the wild so to say...
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 05:20:00 am »

Nope, it'll melt.  It's just that unmined stone is impervious to anything and everything except a dwarf's pick.  Even stone that would normally ignite when exposed to any temperature higher than absolute zero will remain perfectly solid until you mine it out, whereupon it will "go toasty".

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kagus:
<STRONG>Nope, it'll melt.  It's just that unmined stone is impervious to anything and everything except a dwarf's pick.  Even stone that would normally ignite when exposed to any temperature higher than absolute zero will remain perfectly solid until you mine it out, whereupon it will "go toasty".</STRONG>

Urist Miner cancels Mine: On fire.

I should try that sometime.  :D

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 07:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by GreyMario:
<STRONG>Urist Miner cancels Mine: On fire.</STRONG>

I wish.  But dwarves don't notice when they're on fire.

Pages: [1] 2