Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you farm?  (Read 2169 times)

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you farm?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2008, 03:03:00 am »

The humans tend to bring me cloth nicely wrapped in bins.  My first real losing-is-fun fortress hasn't built a bin yet; I just keep the bins after converting the cloth into clothing and images.

But, I grow a bit of everything just "for kicks."  Not that I seem to be able to keep dwarves alive long enough that they really need to eat much.

Javis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2008, 03:23:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>My current fort is a no-water glacier/mountain so I can't farm, even if I wanted to. Importing food is not a problem (at all) and my food stocks are quite full even with ~100 dwarves.

normally, yeah I do farm though. It's stupid easy, but fishing is bugged (the dwarves all stand on top of each other to fish making for slow progress) hunting is broken (you get a year, max, of animals before they go away forever) and trading limits your imports which is annoying. I toyed with the idea of catching enough purring maggots that I could survive off cheese alone, but all the chasm creatures lag my fort down too much, plus if I remember right it kills the purring maggot to milk it, so you spend more food catching them then you get from milking them.</STRONG>

Maybe you don't have any animals because you're on a freezing glacier/mountain.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2008, 03:45:00 am »

Wild animals eventually get hunted to extinction if you hunt them extensively. The code require that at least one of them is still alive to bring new fresh animals of the same kind into the fortress area again.

I wonder if you can prevent that by having one of each kind of wild animal caged in a zoo in your fortress?

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

I grow plump helmets, quarry bushes, pig tails and dimple cups in 3x3 plots. Just enough for brewing and processing, not too much to have a ridiculous food surplus. Fisherdwarves add to that with turtles, mussels and bullheads.

I've never been able to bring myself to slaughter kittens, even digital kittens, so I stick them in metal cages and trade them to the elves. The humans get some dogs and horses, and that's pretty much how I keep my animal pop down.

[ January 20, 2008: Message edited by: Tyrving ]

Pages: 1 [2]