Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do you farm?  (Read 2170 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Do you farm?
« on: January 19, 2008, 08:08:00 am »

I find farming in DF makes the game far too easy. One dwarf can feed 15 through farming, cooking and brewing indefinitely. Where's the danger of trying to kill giant cave spiders for meat or tackle giant pike in the river?

Just looking for opinions   :)

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
Re: Do you farm?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 08:22:00 am »

If you don't want to farm, that's your choice. Even if you're not growing crops, though, I'd still encourage farming animals for slaughter, to supplement your pickings from hunting, fishing or plant gathering, due to the lack of guarantee these methods have in putting food (and drink) on your dwarves' plates.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

jonnym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

I farm there for i am

I dont have much choice in farming I never have enough wild animals to hunt effectivly enough for my fortress to be fed and fishing gives so little in winter its just easier to farm and adds more fun to other areas like sieges as i dont have to worry about starving to much   :confused:

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 09:33:00 am »

I farm because it frees up lots of dwarves to work on <<insert>>.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 01:35:00 pm »

quote:
One dwarf can feed 15 through farming

15? I have two legendary planters in my fortress, they can easily feed 200 dwarves...
I am on a hot streak... literally.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 01:51:00 pm »

Farm? What kind of strange new age concept is that? I discovered that after 3 years of consecutive farming, I reached a food threshold so high that no other food input is needed... forever.

Hunting had been quite successful for me until the 6th year, when I lost all but two of my hunters to miscellaneous dangers. And I lost all my hunters on the 7th year due to sieges.

Fishing is also absurdly efficient when you have 6 or more fisherdwarves.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 04:19:00 pm »

i do not farm, fish, or hunt.

my fort is fed entirely by the work of 2 herbalists

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »

I just grow a million pig tails. And cave wheat.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Fenrir

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>I just grow a million pig tails. And cave wheat.</STRONG>

Why would you want to grow pig tails?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 05:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>
Why would you want to grow pig tails?</STRONG>

Take a guess.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

I usually farm. Hunting is fun until you run out of things to hunt. Which doesn't take too long if you have a few hunters.

quote:
<STRONG>

Take a guess.</STRONG>

To make mittens?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

Ale.  Dwarven Ale.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 05:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Wiles:
<STRONG>
To make mittens?</STRONG>

I use pig tail for images and bags, kitten leather is used for all clothing means.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 08:12:00 pm »

My current fort is a no-water glacier/mountain so I can't farm, even if I wanted to. Importing food is not a problem (at all) and my food stocks are quite full even with ~100 dwarves.

normally, yeah I do farm though. It's stupid easy, but fishing is bugged (the dwarves all stand on top of each other to fish making for slow progress) hunting is broken (you get a year, max, of animals before they go away forever) and trading limits your imports which is annoying. I toyed with the idea of catching enough purring maggots that I could survive off cheese alone, but all the chasm creatures lag my fort down too much, plus if I remember right it kills the purring maggot to milk it, so you spend more food catching them then you get from milking them.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Scorpios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 11:28:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Take a guess.</STRONG>

fur eatin lol

Yeah, Fenrir, I'm not really following. Unless you've never embarked on a map without spiders, I don't see why not. Even if you don't make clothing, there are bags, ropes, decoration, crafts (I think?). The elves bring cloth, but then you have to trade with elves.

find that I identify forum goers more by their signatures than anything else.
That being said, I should probably think of something witty to put here.
Pages: [1] 2