Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Blessed Bronze: 5e-ish pbp game 3/4 OOC - It has begun  (Read 9295 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Blessed Bronze: 5e-ish pbp game 3/4 OOC - It has begun
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2015, 05:34:09 pm »

You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2015, 05:46:09 pm »

Use this current time to talk between characters and look at stuff.

If you want to do something, bold your action.
To recall what you'd know about the situation, write [Self]: What do I know about X?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Blessed Bronze: 5e-ish pbp game 0/4
« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2015, 10:25:06 am »

Btw Gig, I know you approve maneuvers for ranger but did you approve everything else, the whole spell-less ranger thing? I listed a bunch of notes, but you did not comment on them.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2015, 04:48:25 pm »

**cracks knuckles**

Looks like it's up to me to make the docks slang for the entire city of Sleangate.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2015, 05:51:12 pm »

1st edition!

General Slang
Wards~ Written signs that declare what a place is. Doesn't usually include the actual name.
Jimjim~ To break open with force.
A box of bones~ A dice rollers cup, particularly one owned by a tough guy, or a thug. Most dice in Sleangate are made of whale and krakenbone.
Five hundred-ton tango~ Something very hard, but worth the effort. A reference to taken down the biggest and most valuable of Krakens, which are considered to be two thousand pounds or more-a tango is a foreign dance that has come to mean interacting with something foreign, strange, and exotic-from Tango Folk (weirdos), Tango Fruit (really odd tasting) to Tango Lights-the strange fires seen at night on some ships.
Circus~ A big battle between two groups of people, sometimes planned, sometimes not.
Bracks~ The dirty, brackish water around Sleangate. Not suggested to swim in.
Deckers~ A word that stands for the docks, and in particular, the huge tower-decks Krakens are hung and filleted on before heading to the slaughter houses.
A pair of planks~ A small group of unlucky, dull, or foolish people. Also, a really bad hand in a card game.
Holding your oaks~ Being shipwrecked and floating in ocean, clinging for life.
Left handed shooter~ A term for a liar.

People and Things
Grinners~ Sharks.
Singers~ Whales and Dolphins.
Blackwater Barons~ Another term for Krakens, the best ones anyway.
Blackwater Queens~ The biggest, most elusive of Krakens. It's known that the largest of them are females. 'Blackwater' is said to be the deepest, richest and most dangerous Kraken hunting grounds.
Freshet~ An outsider, particularly one who seems innocent, from a Freshet-meaning a spill of fresh water coming down from the mountains. Also a term for someone naive, and easy to kill-a Freshet of easily shed blood.
Bangarang/Bangajangs~ A fellow or a lady whose fun to hang out with...and a bit dangerous, too. Also a less used term for a throwing grenade or similar explosive device.
Billetboys~ Local soldiery, particularly unwelcome ones.
Shortjohns and Longjohns~ Sailors, both coastal (short) and deep sea (long)
Silkies~ Slang for whores, more accurately, prosperous ones.
Marmi~ A young and polite lady
Kettlehats~ A term for the city guard. The most polite one, anyway.
Flaggers~ A disparaging term for members of the Church.
O'narchies~ Anarchists. Also a good term for lunatics.
Crankers~ Factory workers. Disparaging.

Ways to die
Greased~ Ending up in a Krakens belly. It's grimly joked that what's left of unlucky sailors make up a good deal of the oil harvested from Krakens.
Ready for the Pot~ A Sailors term for the worse scenario-alive, in the water, with a hungry Kraken below you.
Filleted~ Being killed by a knife or sword.
Socketed~ Dying from a gunshot. Originates from the clunky appearance of primitive firearms.
Well Sprung~ Drowning. A terrible pun.
Passed into Song~ Died heroically.
Fogs got him/her~ Vanished, never to be seen again. The 'Fogs' are a spook story, a source of old fear in Sleangate, and feature in many frightening local stories.
Tidewrung~ A common source of execution in Sleangate-being chained to the piers, and left to drown by the Guards at high tide for your crimes.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:08:29 am by Dwarmin »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2015, 06:03:07 pm »

Btw Gig, I know you approve maneuvers for ranger but did you approve everything else, the whole spell-less ranger thing? I listed a bunch of notes, but you did not comment on them.
Most is all good, but...

I'm not so sure about the call natural allies... there's something comedic about the image of you just yelling "mob 'im, lads!" and a horde of people just pour out of an alley to beat your enemies. It would also feel like quite a disconnect they just show up, fight for a bit, then disappear again.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2015, 06:07:10 pm »

I'm not so sure about the call natural allies... there's something comedic about the image of you just yelling "mob 'im, lads!" and a horde of people just pour out of an alley to beat your enemies. It would also feel like quite a disconnect they just show up, fight for a bit, then disappear again.

Lol, yeah...well, like I said, it will be complex. They can't be summoned like expendable beasts and then depart-it will almost be as if I took a temporary cohort feat, even if those don't exist in 5e. I'll have to organize them beforehand, they have to come from a group I am friendly with, I have to make sure they are paid well or profit from helping me, and keep them from dying or being badly injured. I like the idea of having a little reinforcement from the streets.

Also, no opinion on my slang? :P I had a bit of a inspiration attack there...

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2015, 06:31:36 pm »

The phrase "Church Giants" brings back memories from Bloodborne...

...You haven't been playing that recently, have you?
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2015, 06:35:14 pm »

Slang seems good, I might sprinkle some of that in in places.

Yeah, I remember seeing Leadership being banned a lot in 3.5. Anyway, that's not something you really should have to take a feat to do; it doesn't take someone exceptional to hire some flunkies (but perhaps to keep those flunkies from legging it when they face a Beast).

I feel that forcing you to pay and organise an ability like that also makes it less than great as a feat... and then it feels like another arbitrary restriction to only be summoned for X minutes a day. So I'm kinda of two minds, but both somewhat disapprove.

I'll think on it a bit more, perhaps.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2015, 07:16:34 pm »

Yeah, if it has to be changed so much from it's base ability, it's probably not worth it.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2015, 07:17:52 pm »

Maybe summon some animals you might find in a city? Pidgeons won't do much to a person, but a wild dog might.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2015, 07:20:04 pm »

Maybe Rangers in the old days could call on animals mystically, but with no magic in the world it stretches the imagination that I can even command my own bird as I will.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 18, 2015, 03:07:58 am »

Summon the seagull swarms!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 18, 2015, 01:17:08 pm »

Btw, how long have our characters been waiting? I feel we're supposed to be doing something!

*proceeds to charge down the door*

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 18, 2015, 01:28:11 pm »

Turns out Aliz Tannerson is the beast!

You are all then eaten by Grue!Aliz.

But my next update will move things along.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10