Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Done  (Read 47915 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Game underway
« Reply #495 on: October 28, 2015, 06:12:03 pm »

Yeah, I DEFINATELY fucked up pretty much all the things you can fuck up.

Since its over for me, wanna hear my original GLORIOUS STRATEGY?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: October 28, 2015, 06:12:53 pm »

Was it 'to chew gum and kick arse'?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: October 28, 2015, 06:18:58 pm »

No it was a clusterfuck involving dropping into the ocean IMMEDIATELY, then grinding up to Perpetual Storm and fucking everyone else's income while I slid by on the immune oceans.
As for combat magic, I pretty much wanted to do exactly what Abeig does, communioned zapspam.
And when I secured the northern continent, the plan was to put nice big communions on all the crossings with Lifelong Protection on ERRYBODY.
It would have been IMPossible to cross into my territory, or at least IMProbable.
Meanwhile my giants could wreck shit up across the pond.

Indeed, I do this.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: October 28, 2015, 06:51:47 pm »

...that's the kind of highly ambitious plan that couldn't hope to survive first contact with the enemy. Way too many moving parts.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: October 28, 2015, 07:00:40 pm »

I agree with the going underwater part.  You have crazy giants, you have a dual bless, you have mages that are awkward above water but quite effective below.  You shouldn't have let anyone except you hold any ocean provinces.  BUT, the point of that isn't so that people can't hurt you; remember, your nation lives and dies on its cap.  Rather its so you can cast Voice of Tiamat everywhere and have an unassailable source of loads of gold and gems.

You should have had a lot more land provinces; part of that is you should have gone after them first, part of that is inexperience and not understanding how good your giants are for expansion.  You also needed at least one or two fort/lab/temple complexes, as I'm sure you found out when you weren't putting out enough research.

If you have that and put out a decent amount of mages, communions seem like a good way to bring yourself into the lategame without being totally helpless.  That being said, the fact that you were going evo just makes your B9 bless look like EVEN MORE of a waste.  Which by the way it was.  A huge one.  You should have gone for something like N9E4 imprisoned Earth Mother, with money scales and 2-3 heat/cold because they don't effect UW provinces very much.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: October 28, 2015, 07:20:46 pm »

...that's the kind of highly ambitious plan that couldn't hope to survive first contact with the enemy. Way too many moving parts.
Yeah, I figured that out in mid game. And then I went into the war against Abeig and made my SECOND biggest failure.

The point of going underwater was that Perpetual Storm only fucks the income of aboveground provinces.

The reason I didn't have more land provinces wasn't that I didn't know my giants were good. I didn't know we were allowed to attack each other. I literally was under the impression there was a early game ceasefire going on.

Yeah, I know. And I probably just shouldn't go evo at all. Ever. Because I don't know how to use it. At all.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: October 28, 2015, 07:23:31 pm »

Well, yeah, but you should have gone for more indy provinces at least.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: October 28, 2015, 07:45:01 pm »

Well, yeah, but you should have gone for more indy provinces at least.

Not everyone was spawned neighboring the worlds most focused underachiever :P

I'm talking about Caesar. Seriously, I KNOW I fucked up, but I have no idea what the hell Sarah was doing.
I mean she ALSO HAS SACRED GIANTS. But apparently she doesn't use them. At all.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: October 28, 2015, 07:48:06 pm »

She want after a much more restrained bless than you, I believe F4W4, in favor of using her ridiculous non-sacred shapeshifter giants.  Which... have been highly annoying.

However her magic use has not been particularly dangerous thus far.  Much like yours.  It'd be interesting to hear what her strategy was/is, but given the circumstances it seems unlikely that I'll find out in the short term.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: October 29, 2015, 02:31:09 am »

She want after a much more restrained bless than you, I believe F4W4
Something like that, yeah.
but, as non sacred, their gold upkeep per expansion party is quite high. and they're bad underwater, as they rely on the gift-breathing ability from the Giant commanders (which makes them poor-amphibious).

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: October 29, 2015, 12:24:19 pm »

By the way, BFEL, whenever you decide you're done with the game, it's good practice to set yourself to AI rather than just stop submitting.
Remember that it's a community-driven game, and other players get annoyed if the game is held up needlessly.

Similarly, even when you actually do lose in the game, the server still awaits your one last turn, even when there's no orders to give.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: October 29, 2015, 12:31:45 pm »

Well, it did matter less this time, since there were another couple of no-good, useless heel-draggers taking their sweet time getting their turns in. *whistles innocently*

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: October 29, 2015, 02:00:49 pm »

Yeah, I know. And I probably just shouldn't go evo at all. Ever. Because I don't know how to use it. At all.

Don't give up, you learn by doing.  The Dominions magic system is complex, confusing, and has a mind all its own.  After the fifth spell cast, NOBODY knows what it's doing (although the more experienced/researched players know what the AI prefers).

Honestly, I'm still a little fuzzy on spell resistance chances, and I've played in several multiplayer games.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: October 29, 2015, 05:17:26 pm »

Preemptively requesting an extension on the next turn (not this one, I've already got that in) -- 12h should be plenty, and probably won't be needed, but better safe than stale. Got an appointment coming up tomorrow that might interfere afterwards for a day or so.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: October 29, 2015, 06:47:54 pm »

Man, you could have harassed me with that sneaky scouts/hero/skeleton summoner band forever, but you got greedy.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 43