Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Done  (Read 47800 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Recruiting
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2015, 05:12:14 pm »

Bronze chronologically precedes iron in most cases in Dominions, and it's less effective aside from not rusting (slightly higher rescost, slightly lower prot/dam). NG is orthodox in respect to this.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2015, 05:22:03 pm »

Fair enough. And yeah, EA is SOOO much more interesting.

Highlights include: Abysian Scorpion Cavalry, Ur Giants with wings (on two nations no less), and topless griffon riders.

This is just from the sprite previews, haven't even looked at the crazy stats and such because I was staring at the griffon riders.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2015, 05:41:57 pm »

I got death power hoburg eagle riders that turn into earth elementals when they die.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2015, 05:55:55 pm »

I got death power hoburg eagle riders that turn into earth elementals when they die.
I can go one better now I looked through the stuff a bit.

Spoiler: Portmar is insane (click to show/hide)

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2015, 06:20:04 pm »

...is that an ordinary human with poison cloud and no poison resistance?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »

That's a list of applied ability filters. The poison cloud filter grants +5 poisonres, but since that's not a separate filter, it's not listed.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 06:47:53 pm »

That's a list of applied ability filters. The poison cloud filter grants +5 poisonres, but since that's not a separate filter, it's not listed.
Ah good ol' required secondary superpowers!

Indeed, I do this.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 06:59:25 pm »

So really, they're not so much a troop in the conventional sense as they are a poison battery.  Give them a nature bless, spread them across your line, and poison the entire enemy frontline.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 07:04:12 pm »

... nature bless actually would probably not help much. They're humans, which means their HP is going to be pretty cruddy and a regen bless close to useless. Better would probably be astral (twist fate, to increase the odds of at least having a turn alive near the enemy front line) or water (getting to the enemy faster, increased defense to maybe survive longer), methinks.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 07:08:55 pm »

So really, they're not so much a troop in the conventional sense as they are a poison battery.  Give them a nature bless, spread them across your line, and poison the entire enemy frontline.
And then have your lizard cavalry DUAL LANCE their flank while your elite bowfantry rain on them. If the poison line breaks, the bowfantry can fight well enough, and come back as metal men if they get wrecked.

And then of course there's this guy:
** Hero (Fomorian), 0g, 2r, Quarterstaff, Robes.
--- 4W 1S 2D.
--- Hero, MAGICPICKS, ethereal2, invulnerable10, heretic and protected by the risen dead

Who can thug it up once you get him.
I have NO idea why this nation got a fomorian hero. Just NONE.

... nature bless actually would probably not help much. They're humans, which means their HP is going to be pretty cruddy and a regen bless close to useless.
Would the DEATHPOWER thing help with that at all? EDIT: Not much if at all.
Also THEY HAVE JAVELINS.

Note that because you can go full drain and full death with basically no drawbacks (no supply drop from death, drainimmune mages, many of the good units have death recruitment, plus reanimation of those who die to dominion) you can min/max the everloving shit out of your pretender. I'm using a 9W9N Fenrer with 2 order, 2 productivity and something like 8 dominion. Granted he's also imprisoned, but still.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:05:05 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2015, 08:17:25 pm »

I have NO idea why this nation got a fomorian hero. Just NONE.

Roughly speaking, for the same reason MA Marignon gets a Raephite hero, or MA Man gets an Ettin.

Note that because you can go full drain and full death with basically no drawbacks (no supply drop from death, drainimmune mages, many of the good units have death recruitment, plus reanimation of those who die to dominion)

No, there's still drawbacks to death. It opens the door to certain bad events, and it's going to wreck your economy - increasingly so as time goes by.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:22:24 pm by E. Albright »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2015, 08:24:34 pm »

... nature bless actually would probably not help much. They're humans, which means their HP is going to be pretty cruddy and a regen bless close to useless. Better would probably be astral (twist fate, to increase the odds of at least having a turn alive near the enemy front line) or water (getting to the enemy faster, increased defense to maybe survive longer), methinks.
That's fair.  Reaching the front first would be useless if you're using them as poison batteries, as ideally you would bring along meat shields to give your shieldless 40 gold cap only units a chance of surviving (especially since you can freespawn undead with that faction, which would be immune to the poison and utterly expendable).  But the astral bless sounds good.  I... kinda forgot about it since so few people ever talk about using it.  Usually I think of astral as a priest-mage bless for nations that are playing the really really long game and want to boost everything with magic rings.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2015, 08:32:34 pm »

Actually so far they have proven to be surprisingly hardy.
Though using them as my front line in front of the archers just resulted in the rather hilarious situation of a independent army starting in a rout being more deadly then if they had stood and fought :P
Oh well, MORE METAL MEN FOR ME.

Indeed, I do this.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2015, 09:05:22 pm »

But the astral bless sounds good.  I... kinda forgot about it since so few people ever talk about using it.  Usually I think of astral as a priest-mage bless for nations that are playing the really really long game and want to boost everything with magic rings.
*waggles hand* From what I understand (which is probably rusty at this point, and wasn't terribly impressive to begin with :P), it's pretty rare that you have a sacred troop that astral will help survivability more than water would (with both fitting in a broadly similar defensive niche, and ignoring the other benefits of a water bless), which is mostly why you don't see it mentioned very often. Something with a lingering effect like a poison could be one of the rare things that might actually be able to get equal/more use out of astral.

... would probably still recommend water over it, though.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2015, 11:04:24 pm »

Well water and nature works pretty damn well, plus the reanimation thing and damn good death mages brings the whole thing together. Seriously, Portmar is just absolutely goddamn amazing. Only bad thing is its crappy priests, but hey, it can't hit EVERY mark y'know?

As such if/when I use more armies then the prophet army I think I'll just load em up on Onyx Warriors for that glorious archers in life, metal men in death thing. Which is amazing.

Also, did I mention its mages are amazing? Because its mages are fucking amazing. The Frenzied Follower gives it enough diversity to hit pretty much every site while searching, and the death ones with chance for other stuff are so hilariously useful I haven't even tried to recruit their most powerful mage. The rando's pretty much always have 2 death, with a chance for an extra one or branching to fire, earth and/or water means I just spent a round casting two carrion reanimations, a buttload of reanimate archers, a few terracotta armies, and a claymen.
All that from the enchantment path before my pretender is even on the field, and when he IS the first thing he's going to do is cast Gift of Health because W9N9.

I REALLY wish I could play this in the MP game now :(

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 43