Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Done  (Read 47935 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 17: Very Bad Things (Hashed NationGen) - Game underway
« Reply #465 on: October 19, 2015, 11:02:04 pm »

[initialize near-midnight babbling mode]*scratches head* It's not really the 'zerk that does it, though, is it? When I was doing some testing on giant performance, iirc I was using one of the non-zerk variants (the water elemental ones, I think) and they were still more or less soloing indies with the obvious N9E4. Seems to more or less just be the HP base (plus N9), and cost wise you're more or less in line with vanilla formorian giants. All that really happened in this case is that, well. Giant nations ended up being ~half the players, instead of, y'know, at most two, with the obvious effects (No one with a major bless didn't have N9, right?). The giant nations are usually held more in check with more meta balance (being alone, having high cost other commanders, etc.) and/or dominion restrictions (needing cold to really work well).

... not that tacking some more cost on to the things would be entirely amiss, mind. If the nation's not going to be particularly balanced in other ways around the critters, y'might as well try to put the balancing aspect on the critter itself. It's not like doubling or tripling the cost of those things would slow the giant nations down much, if any.

Basically, m'not really sure the giants are particularly out of line, on their own. They're fairly close to vanilla, as is. Except the commanders, anyway. The commander versions are hella cheap for what they are (sacred mid-to-high tier SC chassis for <200g yes thankyou I'll be spamming this like Sceleria spams consuls now), especially Caesar's -- that recruit anywhere on those guys is just obscene for 155g. I'd at least think about putting StR on the buggers.

M'just not really sure what you'd do, basically. The whole thing about sacred giant nations is that they take a N9<whatever> bless and then send out their troops to solo indies. Even if you literally restricted recruitment to 1/turn they'd still largely be able to do what they're doing here (or, well, could have been doing, anyway). Price has to get ludicrous if you're actually going to use that alone to bring in line something that is an expansion army in and of itself.

... still. Yeah, for little things -- StR those giant commanders, unilaterally. You guys don't seem to be using them very much, but I can go ahead and tell you lot if I had 'em you would all have kitted giant commanders ransacking your everything right now, and it would have started a long time ago. The lack of paths really isn't enough to justify that cost for that chassis. Maybe bump cost on the troop varieties somewhat... they're all fairly notably better somehow or another with barely any increase in cost compared to vanilla giants. Possibly consider letting negative traits of some sort (eats population, unrest, heretic, etc.) offset the gold cost, and make it likely for them to show up -- maybe for just straight up anything sacred and with HP >30 (or 10 :P). Problem really isn't exactly the giants on their own, though, it's the giants with N9(E4) being a thing that is. Ends up meaning they can be fielded with basically no risk for quite a long time, which drastically skews their gold efficiency.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 19, 2015, 11:19:29 pm »

I think the problem is that Nationgen's logic is: sacred = extra shit + sacred tag.  This is fine for humans, or hoburgs, or most races for that matter.  What's a few humans with extra stats going to do?  But the problem is that the giant races use a different, more powerful chassis for sacreds then for the main race.  They get TWO passes of extra stats.  And the chassis was honestly overpowered to begin with.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 20, 2015, 04:37:34 pm »

I might have just trolled a sharknado with actual sharks.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 21, 2015, 01:40:53 pm »

Indeed you did.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 21, 2015, 07:47:05 pm »

PSA to the Mercenary Captains of Valanis:

If, at some time in the future, you are offered a lucrative contract by the nation of Horoken, do not accept it. It does not matter how much they offer; it does not matter if they inform you that it's to be a short, push-over campaign capturing some small and insignificant province (for example Ivenmoor, the Graveyard of Sellswords). It does not matter if they ply you with gems or ensorcelled relics, nor titles, nor holdings. No good shall come of it, and you will not live to regret your error.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 21, 2015, 07:49:20 pm »

Ok I'll bite, what happened?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 21, 2015, 08:17:37 pm »

Presumably a bundle of shark tribe tritons got eaten by sharks.

Also yes. One day, a mercenary group will survive their contract with me. That day was not yesterday. I don't think I've hired one with the intent to actually accomplish anything with it since around turn ten or something. M'just spending some of my gold to kill them off for giggles. That last one was hilariously cheap, though. Bought it for about what I spend on two normal infantry units.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:19:32 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 21, 2015, 09:57:38 pm »

Finally a fight against something I can actually kill.  Spent like a half hour scripting that and missed the key detail of issuing orders to an indy commander.  Left 2/3rds of my troops behind.

Ah well, worked out.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 22, 2015, 01:28:01 am »

Ah well, worked out.
Talking about Omia ?
Well, I don't see a reason to lose a fight with mass fog, and 15+ thunder casters.
Anyway, mainly lost longdead horsemen, so that's alright.

Also, Deathwing is nomad apparently, now :/

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 22, 2015, 02:07:32 am »

Ah well, worked out.
Talking about Omia ?
Well, I don't see a reason to lose a fight with mass fog, and 15+ thunder casters.
That's fair.  I don't see a reason to win a fight with no magic and no mages.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: October 22, 2015, 05:55:16 am »

I tried to find a lame pun for a battle involving sea trolls, shark tribe tritons and sharks.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: October 22, 2015, 01:06:24 pm »

Its ok I already made the lame pun.

Edit: Also, gonna need a 12h extension (sorry, life got busy recently)

Double edit:  Well I mean I need like a 3h but you don't do those.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 01:13:54 pm by EnigmaticHat »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: October 23, 2015, 10:18:32 am »

And the second stale of the game goes to... bfel? Huh.

E: Also, I didn't even notice elf went AI. Shows how much I've been paying attention :-\
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:27:00 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: October 23, 2015, 10:27:17 am »

Going from being the king of the world to having no options left in a span of a few turns can be disheartening, I suppose.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: October 23, 2015, 04:30:09 pm »

Wait what? I staled?! I coulda sworn I played the turn and had time for the next...fuck.
Did my capital fall? WHAT HAPPENED?

Ok, guess my capital DID fall unfortunately. Was it at least a good fight or was it over instantly?
Anyway, hanging on by a thread now, so Hobnia, please use the enclosed gems and 1 gold to crush the ballsacks of Abeig and Rizdos for me would you?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 04:50:53 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 43