Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A grittier alternative to The Dresden Files  (Read 827 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A grittier alternative to The Dresden Files
« on: September 08, 2015, 07:01:39 pm »

So I've been reading The Dresden Files and whilst I've sort of enjoyed them, they're a bit too...'teen friendly' for me. I specifically chose them due to wanting a break from the eternal darkness which is The Malazan Book of the Fallen but I'm really enjoying the style of story, just not with so much slapstick/silliness.

Any suggestions of others in a similar vein but a bit more 'hard'? The only one I've heard of is the Child of Fire series, but I've not heard particularly great things about it overall.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: A grittier alternative to The Dresden Files
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 09:14:45 pm »

How about Low Town?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 09:19:48 pm »

The October Daye series.

... I need to read more Urban Fantasy so I can start recommending other things.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 09:26:00 pm »

How far have you read? I thought White Knight was pretty gritty. Storm Front was pretty hardcore too, in my opinion.

It's been a long, long time since I was in to the Dresden Files though so grains, salt, etc.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 10:49:13 pm »

The Laundry?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 04:51:51 am »

All look like good ones to move onto!!

I've read up to Grave Peril and whilst there were interesting moments, its got sort of a more Buffy vibe whereas I was looking for something a bit more Clive Barker. I've never been into the 'Urban Fantasy' genre really, as I've always seen it as 'lusty vampires in the city' style romance novels, but I got convinced to read the Dresden Files and I did enjoy them, I just feel that there might be more suitable ones in the genre around somewhere.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 03:58:50 pm »

How far have you read? I thought White Knight was pretty gritty. Storm Front was pretty hardcore too, in my opinion.

It's been a long, long time since I was in to the Dresden Files though so grains, salt, etc.
Yeah the series definitely gets more hardcore as it goes along (partially due to Jim Butcher just getting older, considering he was only around age 23 when he wrote the first ones).

The October Daye series is pretty good as well, though I'd probably rank it as harder than the early DF books and softer than the later ones.

Beyond that I don't know of too many investigation ones that fall just where you want, sadly. :/
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 04:55:58 am »

The Laundry/Atrocity archives mentioned earlier might work
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.