Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Opulent Reactions  (Read 1295 times)

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
Opulent Reactions
« on: September 08, 2015, 01:33:53 pm »

I got to thinking it would be cool to have different classes of goods with different luxury values.  For example, a peasant's garb vs a ballroom gown.  But I'm unclear which way to proceed. 

I'm pretty sure that increasing the material cost of an item, at least an article of clothing, will increase its value, but that's a little boring for an entire system.  Maybe there could be a reaction that creates an article of clothing that is automatically decorated, like a graphic tee.  Or maybe I could add a more complex cloth-making reaction to make things like brocade. lace or argyle to use as the base cloth instead of plainer stuff. 

I'd also like to try this kind of thing with furniture by building them out of multiple materials.  For example, an opulent bed might require a wood or metal frame, feathers for stuffing, cloth coverings, and cloth curtains.  Chairs could be upholstered with leather or cloth, or maybe combine multiple chairs into a sofa, or add mechanisms to a chair to make it a recliner.  Maybe it would be possible to add useless crap like figurines to a piece of furniture to decorate it.  I assume you cannot add pieces of furniture to the game, otherwise it would be cool to make things like rugs, tapestries, paintings, cupboards, etc to go along. 

So the question, how do I do any of that?  Can I do any of that?  Any other ideas? 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:57:17 am by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Opulent Reactions
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 05:17:53 pm »

Besides adding new furniture, everyrhing you describe is possible, with reactions and improvements. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 09:00:21 pm »

Besides adding new furniture, everyrhing you describe is possible, with reactions and improvements. :)

But how to do it is running me in circles.  Like, let's say I want to make lace clothing.  Can I turn cloth into lace, for example, a hemp fiber cloth becomes hemp fiber lace cloth?  If so, what would prevent them from trying to turn hemp fiber lace into hemp fiber lace lace?  If lace is just a kind of cloth, does that mean you can turn low value sheep's wool and high value cotton fiber into the same value lace?  And if there's more than one kind of advanced fabric, what stops them from trying to turn brocade and argyle into lace? 

AAAaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAaaaaaaa!!!!.....
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:30:13 pm »

The Mat Values Add up (I think)
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 09:31:09 pm »

I'm not sure how that would happen.  What you're going to want to do is to create a new MATERIAL_TEMPLATE of your upgraded cloth.  Then create a new reaction that converts one cloth material into the next.  This is the Masterwork reaction that takes leather and shell and spits out a tougher material:

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:LAMELLAR_SHELL_ORC]
[NAME:Laminate leather with shell]
[BUILDING:ORC_TRIBALGEAR:CUSTOM_S]
[BUILDING:WORKSHOP_ORC:CUSTOM_S]
[REAGENT:A:1:SKIN_TANNED:NO_SUBTYPE:CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL_TOUGHLEATHER:LEATHER][ANY_LEATHER_MATERIAL]
[REAGENT:shell:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE][ANY_SHELL_MATERIAL][USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:SKIN_TANNED:NO_SUBTYPE:CREATURE_MAT:ANIMAL_LAMELLAR:LEATHER]
[SKILL:LEATHERWORK]

You can do the same with a material that is more valuable.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 11:01:56 am »

But how to do it is running me in circles.  Like, let's say I want to make lace clothing.  Can I turn cloth into lace, for example, a hemp fiber cloth becomes hemp fiber lace cloth?  If so, what would prevent them from trying to turn hemp fiber lace into hemp fiber lace lace?  If lace is just a kind of cloth, does that mean you can turn low value sheep's wool and high value cotton fiber into the same value lace?  And if there's more than one kind of advanced fabric, what stops them from trying to turn brocade and argyle into lace? 

AAAaaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAAaaaaaaa!!!!.....
REACTION_CLASSES and the aforementioned ITEM_DATA from the other thread where you asked about it. The lace, brocade and argyle would be materials, not a new type of cloth. You can either do hemp + workstep = lace, cotton + workstep = lace, wool + workstep = lace... OR you can make it a lot more complicated by adding a lace-type for each possible material of cloth that exists.

The reaction posted wouldnt work without my standardized materials and the "fake" creature I use to base the animal materials on. It's also Smakes reaction from the orcs, it only accepts hardened leather and a shell and turns it into lamellar leather. It's easy for him (and me) to do, because there is no "sheep leather, cat leather, dog leather", etc.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 02:19:38 pm »

I would use MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT, then you just attach a lace material to every material you want to be able to make lace out of and it "just works". Look a soap making (cat tallow -> cat soap, instead of cotton thread -> cotton lace) for an example.

Really this is fundamental reaction modding, look at any large mod (and many smaller ones) and you will find dozens of examples of similar things being done.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS