Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unexpected Consequences - Fire Outside  (Read 1124 times)

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unexpected Consequences - Fire Outside
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:08:00 am »

So I prematurely breached the deep and demons killed 90% of my population.  Luckily I had drafted them all and threw them down to that end of the fort and they overwhelmed the demons.  I'm still running the fort to see if they can come back, since most of their material possessions are intact.  It won't help that half the population is nobles.

Anywhoo...I happen to glance outside and 1/4 of my wilderness is covered in ash.  At first I thought I had a forest fire, but apparently a flaming dwarf had run screaming down my trade road and lit my silk rope restraint on fire (I like to tie up wardogs outside to harass random kobolds).  I wonder when it will go out?  I wonder how the trade caravans will like the smoke?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected Consequences - Fire Outside
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 11:34:00 am »

You might want to lock the gates so that nobody tries to pick up the burning junk (or tries to move the dead dwarf).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

DonerKebab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »

Hmm no sign of the dead dwarf.  Snow put out the fire and the rope appears to be intact.  Dwarves have now traded much of the wealth created last year for 300+ barrels of booze!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:28:00 pm »

It would be interesting to have random fires generated in the forest outside your fortress, which could endanger your whole fort.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 03:34:00 pm »

I agree, but not before our dwarves are taught how to react to fire. At this moment, a dwarf on fire will walk away on his merry way, lighting everything in his path like if nothing important was happening.

Since other dwarves behave exactly the same way, and that at the very least one of them will come to the now injured dwarf to bring him to a bed... This spell certain doom fast.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 09:09:00 pm »

True. One of my peasants got set on fire via magma (I was using my Magma World Flooding Device to kill off a goblin siege) and still managed to get inside. My mason picked him up, and carried him to the nearest bed. During this, HE got set on fire, but thankfully, he walked over a bridge and the steam dosed the fire on him. The peasant's BODY was now on fire, and he died just afterwards.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.