Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spiral Staircase  (Read 690 times)

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spiral Staircase
« on: September 07, 2015, 01:57:29 pm »

Is there a way to build/craft a spiral staircase, either a freestanding (in the middle of a room) or an attached (say spiraling up the outer wall of a room)?
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
Re: Spiral Staircase
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 02:02:11 pm »

Yep, use ramps.

ragincajun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 02:13:03 pm »

Of which I have not mastered yet..lol.  We'll give it a go...any tips on basic ramp building?  The picture on the wiki doesn't help a lot on how to set them up.
No, they went to Hel, where they lead a bleak existence in cold and darkness. Valhalla is reserved for valiant warriors.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 03:00:59 pm »

Of which I have not mastered yet..lol.  We'll give it a go...any tips on basic ramp building?  The picture on the wiki doesn't help a lot on how to set them up.
What do you need to know? If you are digging, channels and ramps are interchangeable. The only difference is marker placement. Ramps need a wall adjusted to be usable. Mark, go down a level, move cursor, mark, repeat. Try not to break pace or die of boredom

If you are going to build it from scratch, I advice making rock blocks, since they are easy to mass-produce and light to haul. Build a ramp and a wall adjusted to it. Build a ramp atop the wall and a wall adjusted in desired direction. Repeat. This is even more boring because you can't mark for building ahead.

Kinda like this: left is bottom, right is top. R is ramp and W is wall. Repeat cycle if needed.

RW  .R  ..  W.
..  .W  WR  R.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?