Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wild Animal Taming  (Read 3554 times)

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wild Animal Taming
« on: August 27, 2007, 02:08:00 am »

Okay, so I have read over the wiki articles on taming animals and I have a few questions. What are "large animals" considered? Anything larger then like a racoon, purring magot?

Basically what I am wanting to do is capture a few of these Ice Wolves and see if I can put them to use. I am wondering if you have to use cage traps for them and such. Also, is it the .rar files where you have to go to make them trainable?

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wild Animal Taming
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 04:30:00 am »

A large animal is an animal that isn't vermin, that actually has a symbol which isn't a coloured dot.

You need to change creatures.txt as far as I know...

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Old-Man-Gator

• Bay Watcher
  • Pickled Prawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 04:42:00 am »

Ice wolves should be in the raw folder, check the raw file called creature_large_tundra err no creature_standard.

Anyway, I'm checking the raw data, you will have to insert [TRAINABLE] into the entry for [WOLF_ICE].

Also I think you might have to delete the [EVIL] and add a [NATURAL] and or [PET] tag in order to be able to tame the beasties that you trap. I don't tend to play around with that sort of creature though, I like modifying existing, natural gribblies for a more fantastic theme to my game, not game breakery.

Example.. I renamed the various men snake, frog and lizard to a kind of streamlined dwarven translation for them.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 09:02:00 am »

You can tame things like deer, elephants, lions, tigers, and bears, etc, without having to modify the raw files. I haven't ever seen ice wolves, so I don't know about those, but you might as well try.

You'll want to build cage traps in strategically placed locations to trap them, preferably with defensive channels or the like (if you aren't on a glacier) to funnel them into the traps.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:32:00 am »

I have not tried to build channels on the glacier. I am assuming that will not work? The current map I am on is a glacial map, unfortunately. Anyways the creature in question.

code:
[CREATURE:WOLF_ICE]
   [ADD_VERSION:1097]
   [NAME:ice wolf:ice wolves:ice wolf]
   [TILE:'w'][COLOR:7:0:1]
   [MODVALUE:2]
   [LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:10]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:10:20]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:7]
   [LARGE_PREDATOR][EVIL][MEANDERER]
   [PETVALUE:50]
   [GRASSTRAMPLE:0]
   [BONECARN]
   [PREFSTRING: piercing howls]
   [BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
   [BODYGLOSS:PAW]
   [SIZE:5]
   [MAXAGE:10:20]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:ice wolf pup:ice wolf pups]
   [FAT:1]
   [ALL_ACTIVE]
   [BIOME_GLACIER]
   [BIOME_TUNDRA]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10067]
   [LAYERING:300]  

From what I can tell it is not set to trainable at the very least. It is set to evil, but, I am not sure if that effects the tamability. From what I can tell they need to be set to pet maybe to tame them, or at least get them freed from the cages maybe. I am comparing these creatures to elephants, which, I know are at least tame-able.

code:

[CREATURE:ELEPHANT]
   [NAME:elephant:elephants:elephant]
   [TILE:'E'][COLOR:7:0:0]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [MODVALUE:3]
   [GENPOWER:3]
   [PREFSTRING:strength]
   [IVORY]
   [DIURNAL]
   [POPULATION_NUMBER:15:30]
   [CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:7]
   [BENIGN][MEANDERER][NATURAL][PET]
   [PETVALUE:500]
   [BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:TRUNK:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
   [SIZE:16]
   [MAXAGE:50:70]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:STANCE:kick:kicks:1:2:BLUDGEON][ATTACKFLAG_WITH]
   [CHILD:10][CHILDNAME:elephant calf:elephant calves]
   [FAT:10]
   [BIOME_ANY_TROPICAL_FOREST]
   [BIOME_SHRUBLAND_TROPICAL]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10066]  

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 10:36:00 am »

A glacier is just a big frozen river. Any channel you dig will fill with water instantly (though if you flush magma through it, the water won't return), and work just fine.

The only possible problem would be a dead peasant and a bunch of stuff lost in the channel.

[ August 27, 2007: Message edited by: Savok ]

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 10:48:00 am »

Hmm, so, if I want to do the animal channel thing I should flood the glacier with magma eh? Sounds complicated, but, I suppose that will be a good project for later. After I flood the thing, I might just use lava as the conductor for the traps. Bunch of work that will be though and I want to make sure I can tame and train the ice wolves before I try that.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 10:52:00 am »

Note that the glacier can't be flooded with magma, because whenever magma is adjacient a glacier tile, the glacier tile turns into a river tile.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 11:42:00 am »

Hrm... the trapping would be tricky then. Ugh, so, the only thing that would work would be a long aqueduct?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2007, 09:51:00 am »

No, you can't do that either. Aqueduct ends act like pumps, and they can pull from frozen water - so if you build one over the glacier, it will probably start endlessly spewing out water from both ends. (I'm not sure what happens if you flood the glacier with water, though)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Tarrasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2007, 04:02:00 pm »

Aha! I found a solution that might work. You can build statues outside in a long line to the edge of the map. That would funnel the animals to the trapping area on the map. That should work decently.