Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: North Carolina Annexes filthy southerners, next: the world  (Read 9498 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
Re: North Carolina Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 05:13:42 am »

PTW, rural > urban.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 01:30:21 pm »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 01:39:14 pm »

PTW, rural > urban.
Not sure europeans actually know what rural is. States can lose entire european countries in its rural.

Whatcha actually want, though, is rural-enough that's under an hour from an urban area (note: There's a lot of places in the states that don't really qualify for that). Then you get the relative quiet and low prices, and still be able to drive to somewhere that's not Bigotsville the Empty (and actually has jobs, which is also good!) without it taking most of a day.

Also NC. NC is pretty alright. Nice mountains, better weather than florida (which may be damning with faint praise, but whatever.). Shame the government there has legally mandated to ignore the ocean as it floods the place.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2015, 02:08:54 pm »

Also NC. NC is pretty alright. Nice mountains, better weather than florida (which may be damning with faint praise, but whatever.). Shame the government there has legally mandated to ignore the ocean as it floods the place.
If we put it in our minds, everything will be alright.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2015, 03:27:24 pm »

One of the nice things about NC is it has everything one could want from a state.  It's basically three regions:  Mountains, piedmont, and coast.
The mountains are cool and are subjectively the best.  Mountains 4 evar.  Lots of tourism and hiking and hillbillies, but usually not the bad kind.
The piedmont is hundreds of miles of farmland with some cities in.  Fairly hilly in parts, particularly the foothills.  This part creates food and hosts the government, and can make for nice bicycling.  (The farms do get a bit boring though, also they're mostly tobacco)
The coast is pretty great, for a hot sandy dry hell with scarce shade from the nuclear deathstar.  But for people who do like coasts, this is a damn good one.  The barrier islands produce this huge area for kayaking and swimming and stuff.  Wild horses live out on the barrier islands.  Some of them have ferries, and often you can camp out there...  Which was actually super peaceful.

That's from the perspective of living here, which is cool and all.  Now for tactical considerations.

The mountains are, of course, mountains.  They're also home to the remains of ancient stills, some of which are apparently still in use.  So that's alcohol, molotovs, and fortification.  Also I think there's a castle up here somewhere.
The piedmont can grow crops, and is also heavily forested.  Even the cities.  Looking over the capital of Raleigh from the NCSU library, what you see is trees off to the horizon.  You can tell where the roads are, but it's not trivial.  We have so many trees that Duke often sets its granted forests on fire to see what'll happen.  So the piedmont is camouflaged and can make countless wooden bolts and stealth archers.  It's basically Valenwood (particularly the meat eating).
(I grew up there, maybe that's why I miss the shade so much at the beach)
And the coast is, like, covered in forts.  Which is a fancy word for "modern castles".  Layers of forts and towers (aka lighthouses) from the barrier islands in.  Also a marine corps base.  This is also where we would trade for anything we need (pff, like what?) and ship the goods west by train.

So yeah NC woooo!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2015, 03:31:53 pm »

hillbillies, but usually not the bad kind
It should be noted that this only applies to Our Side of the mountains. Their Side, where the Other Ones live, is not spoken of.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2015, 04:11:19 pm »

hillbillies, but usually not the bad kind
It should be noted that this only applies to Our Side of the mountains. Their Side, where the Other Ones live, is not spoken of.
Heh, where I live, we do this with the different banks of the Rhine. Fuck Düsseldorf.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2015, 10:09:55 pm »

Myrtle Beach is nice

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 09:42:56 am »

PTW, rural > urban.
Not sure europeans actually know what rural is. States can lose entire european countries in its rural.
It seems that what Americans call rural Europeans call wilderness

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2015, 11:49:41 am »

It's not rural until you can drive for hours in any direction without seeing anything except barren wasteland. And one sheep every four hectares.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2015, 11:52:37 am »

It's not rural until you can drive for hours in any direction without seeing anything except barren wasteland. And one sheep every four hectares.
Swindon?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2015, 12:02:31 pm »

PTW, rural > urban.
It seems that what Americans call rural Europeans call wilderness

Basically.

Or in other words:
Not sure europeans actually know what rural is.

Any Tarheels know of beaches where the water is reasonably clear, or at least not constantly cloudy? I've been longing to hit the beach but I can't see the bottom at any of the ones I try.

Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and go on vacation.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:04:54 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2015, 12:09:54 pm »

Myrtle Beach is nice
Wrong Carolina. Also, hard to find the actual beach. I've heard that if you look behind the miles of endless tattoo parlors, Wings, Hooter's and mini-golf courses you can find one.

EDIT: Oh, and we also have West Nile virus. So there's that.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 05:40:23 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 05:48:51 pm »

I recall I once nearly got bit by a water moccasin and the nearest hospital was several hours away by boat.

Fun times.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 11:21:13 pm »

Yeah, those are fun. Went canoeing one time, stopped on an island in the Yadkin River for lunch, got back to the canoe and it was full of moccasins.

Cue me gingerly using a paddle to tip the canoe over and fill the water with splashy snakes.

I'd love to do a little canoe trip down the Eno, but right now it's been so dry the Eno is only about 6 inches deep along the section in the backyard. Can't even go tubing in that shallow of a water.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7