Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

your worst fear, is a plague of

bugs
- 1 (12.5%)
robots
- 1 (12.5%)
monsters(xenomorph, zerglings, cthulu spawn)
- 0 (0%)
energy beings(ghosts, titan ae Drej, quasi physical beings)
- 0 (0%)
disapearances
- 1 (12.5%)
clones
- 0 (0%)
tourists
- 3 (37.5%)
humanoid monsters(vampires, werewolves, mummies, ect.)
- 1 (12.5%)
contagious disease
- 1 (12.5%)
conquering civilization
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Astranomicon  (Read 15399 times)

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Astranomicon
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2015, 03:59:23 pm »

that sounds like a good. power. and I think an opt out would be fine.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2015, 05:54:26 pm »

Calling all Gods!

"Crossover: How Can We Expand the Unified Elements?"

I have some ideas, and others have been made, how we can play, and give players the ability to play with the "barriers between realities".

While individual agreements are one way, a very good way, what general connections could there also be, here are some of those ideas, mine and others. Please consider, give feedback, and suggest your own. Let's grow something unique, as this is a unique creation worth exploiting.

1. NPC overflow
When would this apply? How can it be done in a way that enhances the player's unfolding story?
Perhaps if you jump realities in combat, the next god can take over for the Hostile npcs that come to. Should we all have a NPC stealing option set to on or off, with rules for which can or can't go? Should every god identify in some way, if any NPC can be stolen? Perhaps they are all green, or all have a gem in their forehead, or perhaps there is a plague of robots crossing realities this way, and they are the only ones that can(without permission).

2. Adjacent Post Powers
Normally, a player will see a lot off posts that are not relevant to them mixed in with the ones that are. But what if they were?
What if a badge gave you the power to stun a plague enemy briefly in another reality(that a god or player, just updated. I'm not sure which would be better, probably god, so the player can then react to the new advantage). Or if you had a lot of badges, you could actually bring someone into your reality, or swap places with them. perhaps there are "legendary items" that do this, that are literally one of a kind.
Hmm.
I'm not so sure about the adjacent post powers, if only because it seems a bit too meta and I can't really think of a good in-universe mechanic to explain it.  Why would somebody in reality 2 know or care about somebody in reality 11? Perhaps it could be tied to specific, unique locations, and they could interact in predetermined ways with residents in other realities. For example, there could be an "Aetheric Well" in one location that shows flashes of events -IE the recent posts- and allows limited interaction, such as ranged attacks or throwing items through. Anything more common -especially badges- would be pushing it rather drastically, and I'm not so sure how good it would turn out in the end. It could, potentially, be a really cool feature, but it seems like it could also fall prey to becoming a big problem for both the gods and the players. What if one player ends up taking advantage of a badge made by one god to kill or maim another player under the rule of another god without risk of retaliation?

Not to say, of course, that I'm opposed to badges granting bonuses. I'd just make sure that the badges offer bonuses that, while possibly useful in other realities, primarily effect the reality they were made for. For example, the Explorer's badge could be useful in other realities due to its active effect, but it is really only fully applicable in the Wastes due to its passive effect being based on zones.

As for the NPC overflow, I presume that you're talking about if a group of NPCs from one reality get transported to another reality. I don't really see too much of a problem with this, so long as both the sending and receiving gods can reach an agreement, though the sending god should get the say in what can come along and the receiving god can veto any passengers they please. For example, if someone ported out of my reality with a beast hanging off of them like a really angry and hostile squirrel, I'd send the beast over as well and PM the receiving god the relevant information to properly control it (special powers, loot, mental condition, general attack strategy, etc) unless the receiving god declines.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2015, 06:11:40 pm »

does no one want to go to my verse?

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2015, 06:42:24 pm »

Well, you're not linked to anyone, so they can't easily hop there without losing all their stuff, Whisperling is currently locked in combat with a mind-controlling horse-shoggoth-snake-creature-thing (though that status might very well change soon, considering the most recent turn) and BBG is in an unrelated reality fighting a giant sea creature. I'm much more interested in helping this idea prosper and GMing than I am at playing as a player, though I may do that once I've perused the various realities and started to link more of them together.

Don't feel bad about not having anyone join just yet. Around 9 or 10 of the realities haven't had anyone enter yet, so you're not alone.

Speaking of forming connections, @vjmdhzgr, can we form a connection between our realities? I imagine that the various deadly creatures from mine might interest your reality, and connections benefit all involved.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:44:55 pm by XXXXYYYY »
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 12, 2015, 07:08:33 pm »

I request a connection between my reality, The Tidal Winds, and Whisperling's reality, The Dreamscape.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2015, 07:15:09 pm »

I request a connection between my reality, The Tidal Winds, and Whisperling's reality, The Dreamscape.

Granted!

If possible, I would like to establish an ongoing exchange of interesting creatures. (The dreamscape can offer things like Living Nightmares, plus some more serious dream-beasts.)

Sl4cker

• Bay Watcher
  • clouds are pretty :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2015, 07:42:22 pm »

Granted!

If possible, I would like to establish an ongoing exchange of interesting creatures. (The dreamscape can offer things like Living Nightmares, plus some more serious dream-beasts.)
Accepted, if possible. The Tidal Winds can offer non-sapient flying and swimming creatures from myth, giant versions of flying and swimming creatures from real life, and giant versions of non-sapient flying and swimming creatures from myth.

Of course, there's also regular flying and swimming creatures, but those are hardly interesting.
Quote from: Empiricist
I mean no one wants dead whales and abortion clinics juxtaposed with each other, but it's just something that happens! Like false vacuum decay!
carrot cakeu

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2015, 09:52:27 pm »

snip
snip
But the player at home can see it, so why not play with what is there and bring it into the lore? In magic the gathering, players are Plains Walkers, no matter how diverse their tactics and backgrounds, they all share things in common, such as summoning spells and creatures and so forth. What is the story of bubble reality? Who are these dimensional explorers... how do they relate to each other... friends? ...enemies?

Both.

Because the player gets to decide their own relationship to other players. They can be either, now before I get into how antagonizing can be fair, I want to continue the current thought: seeing other players in lore, a little further, then I will address that issue, after.

So perhaps the role of the player, what he/she/it is a part of that unifies them with the other explorers, is this ability to "sense" the others. snippets... visions. You can only affect a player who's god just posted. Let me explain how that can be fair, now I will address this.

Say there is a white orb and a black orb. You throw a white orb it helps in some random way WHICH IS DECIDED BY THE GOD and the black doing the opposite. Perhaps it alters a roll slightly, but since the GOD of the realm decides it, it will OF COURSE be within the gods acceptance, and they could, choose to ignore it, the activating player getting the item back.

Now say it wasn't an item it was a badge power, that brings 2 things in to play, limited usage, and unique effects. For the first one is that depending on the power, there is a cooldown. Hours, days, a week it could all depend. Perhaps in its home world there is a way to charge it faster.

Think of mega man games, it's like you can investigate which power you want to get in which order depending on how good the power is vs how hard of a challenge it is to obtain. A badge that can try to stun a alternate reality enemy may be very precious, or when that inspirers or restores the will of another adventurer. Maybe only some badges do this, while others only work in your reality.

When players use these powers, the gods of the target realm moderate the effects. If its to obstructive, they can say "the medallion didn't respond" and the player is not penalized a cooldown or it is lessened.

Edit: corrected some autocorrect errors, ex. are these became agrees.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2015, 08:12:11 pm by GameBoyBlue »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2015, 10:44:42 pm »

-Snip-

In Magic, it's one thing. Plansewalkers are powerful wizards, who are specifically suited to inter-dimensional magic. Even so, they can't stun someone from the other end of the multiverse. They've got to travel to the plane and do it the normal way.

I don't think that realities should be completely separate from each other, but the amount of inter-connectedness you're proposing is frankly ridiculous. You have said yourself that these realities are essentially their own games, with a certain amount of linkage between them. One GM shouldn't be able to make a power that affects someone else's forum game, just as players from one game shouldn't be able to impact another without signing up, and I need be waiting to get in. What if one player wants to avoid another? Inter-dimensional badges would make it impossible to get away.

So, I'm totally with XXXXYYYY (who happens to be an elder god) on this one. Badges should grant powers, but should have a minimal effect on other's people's games, and should avoid stepping on anyone's toes (whether they are a god or a player).

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2015, 06:34:49 am »

I am at the same time offended and proud by your comment W. Offended you don't agree, proud for the right reasons and willing to stand up for it... If you didn't see exactly what I was fully implying, but you bring up some important discussion points.

How would badge powers be decided? Well perhaps they act more like general points in a skill tree or ladder.

As far as the cross post powers, the gimmick just makes sense for this setting, and the lore can be made to fit the game, examples of which I have already volunteered.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2015, 08:46:20 am »

please confirm connection between dealal and dreamscape

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2015, 05:09:57 pm »

Invasion

participating gods:
gameboyblue
Sl4cker

At this time I would like to invite my fellow devines to cooperate to create the first in game event. Note, this in not a meta change or proposition, this is an opt in event for gods to agree to use their worlds or help design a conglomerate event.

The Invasion is an event where a foreign menace is invading the different realities, spreading from one to another, and it is up to the explorers to stop this from impacting the multiverse. There will be discussion on what happens if the players lose, how they can win, storyboarding and creature concept and more, so even if you do not wish to have your reality participate in the event, you can join the team to help create it.

PM me if you want to participate, you will get a link to a private forum.

If you join this team you will not be able to participate your self, which can mean blocked entry to those realities, or inability to assist even when there.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 01:20:18 pm by GameBoyBlue »

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2015, 05:55:50 pm »

I am at the same time offended and proud by your comment W. Offended you don't agree, proud for the right reasons and willing to stand up for it... If you didn't see exactly what I was fully implying, but you bring up some important discussion points.

How would badge powers be decided? Well perhaps they act more like general points in a skill tree or ladder.

As far as the cross post powers, the gimmick just makes sense for this setting, and the lore can be made to fit the game, examples of which I have already volunteered.

I think the idea of badges giving trans-dimensional powers is sound. What I'm worried about isn't really the fact that badges give tangible powers, it's that the powers you're suggestion tend to be more "external." In effect, they allow you to submit actions for a game you aren't currently a player in.

My personal opinion is that realities are separate games, and, while trans-dimensional powers should definitely be giving you some nifty abilities, they should also be respectful of those boundaries. Powers that are granted by the multiverse, as a whole, should have to do with "multiversal" concepts: travel between realities, connections, and the space between worlds. Maybe travel becomes faster, you can create shortcuts between different realities, or you gradually gain the ability to explore the abyss itself.

Those are things no GM should have control of, and that won't give one player the ability to mess with another from afar. Nobody's toes get run over, and everybody is happy with their new powers.

I assume what you mean by "skill tree" is that once someone has a certain number of badges they either automatically gain a certain power, or can choose between two or more options. Assuming that these powers are decided centrally, with input from all gods, and that they were balanced, it should work well.

As long as the badge powers don't feel metagamey to use, just about any explanation is fine. Using the last post from the thread as a sort of benchmark seems a bit arbitrary, though, not to mention how it opens the way for all sorts of causality issues.

Also, please don't be offended. I may be a little picky, but I'm just trying to make sure this turns out to be a good thing for everyone involved.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 13, 2015, 06:42:43 pm »

You are right, something like this should be discussed now, rather than trying to implement it later, so that is what I would like to do, later today, I will host the raffle #3, and with 3 elder gods approval needed, make my proposition.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 13, 2015, 07:35:31 pm »

dealal is now connected to the dreamscape
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10