Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

your worst fear, is a plague of

bugs
- 1 (12.5%)
robots
- 1 (12.5%)
monsters(xenomorph, zerglings, cthulu spawn)
- 0 (0%)
energy beings(ghosts, titan ae Drej, quasi physical beings)
- 0 (0%)
disapearances
- 1 (12.5%)
clones
- 0 (0%)
tourists
- 3 (37.5%)
humanoid monsters(vampires, werewolves, mummies, ect.)
- 1 (12.5%)
contagious disease
- 1 (12.5%)
conquering civilization
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Astranomicon  (Read 15368 times)

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
Re: Astranomicon
« Reply #105 on: September 16, 2015, 05:35:40 pm »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 08:44:42 pm by GameBoyBlue »

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 16, 2015, 06:27:15 pm »

hey ummm maybe we should stop tampering with meta mechanics...you know at least until the meta and verses have been thourly tested by players. at this point we don't really know how effective ANY of the mechanics are.

if we wait until the game is established with lots of players then we can see how the current setup needs to/could benefit from- changing it
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 16, 2015, 06:28:27 pm »

((Well, your turn is up. I apologize for the length, but it seemed to me that the first cross-reality journey deserves a detailed description.))

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 16, 2015, 07:22:04 pm »

hey ummm maybe we should stop tampering with meta mechanics...you know at least until the meta and verses have been thourly tested by players. at this point we don't really know how effective ANY of the mechanics are.

if we wait until the game is established with lots of players then we can see how the current setup needs to/could benefit from- changing it

Currently I think the game is something pretty fun. Although it is important to consider why, 0 non gods have decided to join the game.

As I made a proposition yestarday forgive me if I am incorrectly assuming this is something about that, but I am until I hear otherwise from you.

Assuming this IS about my yestarday's proposition, about adding a "bonus zone" for extra realities, I feel this will help increase or atleast not deter new players for a few reasons:
1. It doesnt make anything more complex, its a seperate area for players to visit after getting all the badges.
2. Now that gods can earn the ability to make extra realities, in this seperate zone, there is less pressure to make their one reality more complex, and cram all their creativity into just one place.
3. Because it must be earned, by getting all the basic endeavours, gods have even more motivation to complete them, which means they will have more flushed out, more frequented, and more connected realities, which is a good thing.
4. It is timely. As soon as I thought of it, I realized there was no benefit to wait. The sooner it is known there will be opportunities for a god to make additional realities, they can focus on keeping things simple.

Thoughts? Does this address your concerns?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 16, 2015, 07:47:37 pm »

I meant more in general. im not disagreeing that its a good idea, im disagreeing on the when it should be implemented. my concern is that, without sufficient players to test what we have so far, we cannot see what needs to change or be added, and therefore we may worsen unseen problems.

there is also the matter that players might not join because it seems to be changing at an insane rate that could mess them up.

basically. the game is are the bridge. the mechanics are the gears. and the players are afraid someone is going to pull the wrong lever and drop them in magma.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2015, 09:22:54 pm »

Well what this game really needs is some urgency.

I am having a blast, because I motivated to tend to the backend and play the game.

But players that are just playing have no real motivation to do anything.

Even in slow pace games like Yoshi's island, there is the motivation to save your brother Luigi.

What is the motivation? We need a story.

(Also note blaze, this is not a mechanics tweak but a asthetic one, but it could feed into the other)

Ideas:

"Survivors" Your home world is destroyed, you wake up here. You are looking for other survivors.

"Memory" You have amnesia, and you learn a bit more about yourself as you explore.

A setting like this meta game, can have many different backdrops and motivations. A core story could be one way for gods to focus their worlds on a more unified and escalating experience, where players feel like they are meaningfully progressing.

Do players win? Does the game just go on forever? Or do we "reset" after its over next time?(giving gods the chance to copy or start anew their reality, and perhaps choosing a new group focus, and making sure afk gods are cleared out.

You think about some of the most exciting games, ones with the most captive audience like Mafia, a sense of urgency and importance of your actions is key.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 16, 2015, 09:50:38 pm »

This proposal sounds very good, balance-wise. I can see you took my concerns into consideration. I do see some impracticality/logic holes here or there, which I'm going to address, but I think the idea itself is a great solution.

As of now, it's technically possible for gods to make an infinite number of badges. That's all well and good when badges don't actually serve a purpose, but when they do, the system should be kept both simple and sane. A maximum of 2 badges per reality seems fair.

Secondly, not all of the godly endeavors are either possible or appropriate for "rift" realities. For the sake of simplicity, I would recommend keeping the godly endeavors as they are, and making a separate set of criteria for the creation of Rift realities.

I get what you’re talking about with “personal rifts,” but the phrase’s meaning wasn’t immediately obvious. In this case, I think it would make more sense to describe things in plain language.

"All badges" is liable to be an ever-increasing restriction. It might make more sense to have a fixed, feasible number of badges act as the entry requirement, but provide some sort of mobility advantage to players who have taken the time to gather more.  Maybe they could go farther into the Rift, or stay there longer.

So, all in all, I'm definitely liking the proposal, but it seems like it might benefit from a bit of revision or clarification here and there.

I'll type up my thoughts on the storyline/goal when I've had a good night's rest. That'll probably come with more suggestions than constructive* criticism, for once.

*While we're on that train of thought, I'll take the opportunity to say that I want all my input to be helpful in some way. If you think I'm nitpicking, I'd very much appreciate your telling me so.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2015, 12:09:55 am »

Thanks Whisper for your thorough review. Technically a day has passed since the prop, so it would be active already, perhaps this is too quick. Maybe 3 days unapposed, or immediately if 2 of 3 elders approve?

One main badge is the rule.

Anyway, I have not one, but two badges for my land, if that's alright.
The Wanderer's Badge:

The Diplomat's Badge:

:)

You can have 2 badges, or more, but pick one to be the main badge.

I'll be sure to make that more clear in op.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2015, 12:13:58 am »

And now for something completely different.

What would you guys think if this was structured more like an event than an mmo?

For example, what if it was a race for players to collect badges, and there is only one of each!
Reality Hop

(this is thinking outloud, not a prop at this time)

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2015, 05:17:11 am »

Proposition 2015.09.15 "Connection Themes"

Oh gosh what have I created. Well I've created a council that can stop my creative advances, and now I wonder if I did it too soon. I have a proposition that will shake things up a bit, maybe less in the long run than my last one about the bonus world.

Proposition
Suggested Changes: All realities must each choose a "theme" for their connections. You can change the theme, but must break connection to all unaligned realities.
All current unthematic connections will break.

Comment: For example, my reality one has the theme that it will only connect to none combat realities. The theme could be anything, from "it must have grassy areas" very general to very specific, "it must have puzzles to solve" or "must have a medival theme". The purpose of this one is artistic- each web that branches out from a reality will tell a story, and I really want to see that.

Perhaps this is reboot worthy, and that would allow gods to reassess if they want to be in, and clear out those that have lost interest. Perhaps it would then be a good time to assess what the hook for BR should be, a race, or perhaps a cooperative game where all players try to solve problems in all realities, that sounds pretty fun.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2015, 05:52:13 am »

Elder Gods! You have 3 days to assess my changes, or until 2 decide to support them.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2015, 06:11:47 am »

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2015, 06:40:15 am »

Tehe.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2015, 03:14:42 pm »

Proposition 2015.09.15 "Connection Themes"

I'm going to veto this one, I think. It would be all and very well if we were making connections left and right, but people are having a hard enough time forming decent networks as it is. Even if the pairings don't always make perfect sense, I'd rather have enough connections to support long "journeys," rather than just one or two that are more thematic, but so few and far between that players are forced to start over every time they want a change of pace.

Also, I think endlessblaze is right. The rift should be put in place, but afterwards, I think it would be better to let things be for a while, and focus on attracting some more players. Gradual change should work well, but I think the pace at which you want to add things might be somewhat discouraging to people who could join. We could have a perfect set of rules, but that's no good if we don't have anyone to use them.

While we're thinking of the topic, perhaps placing "you have explored/ roleplayed in a reality" in the Endeavors would encourage more gods to join as players.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 03:19:23 pm by Whisperling »

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2015, 04:28:12 pm »

Sure, I will add a ticket for obtaining a badge. No problem.

Things are slow, though I dont think we change that by... not changing anything.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10