Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Why you don't make your Wood Cutter a Bowyer  (Read 7019 times)

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why you don't make your Wood Cutter a Bowyer
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:40:00 pm »

So I turned on Crossbow-Making for my Wood Cutter to churn out some bone crossbows in preparation for the Dwarven Caravan (I've found offering them crossbows helps attract marksdwarves). He goes fey and creates an artifact crossbow. Awesome, I think to myself.

Then I see him at the ammo stockpile equipping himself with bolts. I designate some trees. Naturally, he can no longer wield his axe, because he's carrying around his shiny new artifact crossbow. I fiddle with his soldiering preferences for a bit, make him a quiver to free up his other hand. Nothing. He's stuck in a loop currently, attempting to pick up his axe so he can cut down trees, but he refuses to drop the artifact.

Oh well, another interesting Dwarf Fortress lesson learned.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
Re: Why you don't make your Wood Cutter a Bowyer
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 01:26:00 am »

It used to be that dwarves would drop/become obsessed with/ect after 5 years.

But apparantly the timer bugged out and it rarely if ever works that way.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 05:03:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Tamren:
<STRONG>It used to be that dwarves would drop/become obsessed with/ect after 5 years.

But apparantly the timer bugged out and it rarely if ever works that way.</STRONG>

I belive toady said it takes 72 times as long as it should, so they drop it in 360 years, baring accident or death.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 05:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ktrey:
<STRONG>So I turned on Crossbow-Making for my Wood Cutter to churn out some bone crossbows in preparation for the Dwarven Caravan (I've found offering them crossbows helps attract marksdwarves). He goes fey and creates an artifact crossbow. Awesome, I think to myself.

Then I see him at the ammo stockpile equipping himself with bolts. I designate some trees. Naturally, he can no longer wield his axe, because he's carrying around his shiny new artifact crossbow. I fiddle with his soldiering preferences for a bit, make him a quiver to free up his other hand. Nothing. He's stuck in a loop currently, attempting to pick up his axe so he can cut down trees, but he refuses to drop the artifact.

Oh well, another interesting Dwarf Fortress lesson learned.</STRONG>

Can't you make him into a soldier and keep him that way?

With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Marsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 08:37:00 am »

That's exactly what I would do. Legendary guy with an artifact crossbow? Let him train up a bit- he would be a god. Until he got hit by a lucky shot which seem all too lucky.

Havell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.abandonia.com
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 08:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Marsume:
<STRONG>That's exactly what I would do. Legendary guy with an artifact crossbow? Let him train up a bit- he would be a god. Until he got hit by a lucky shot which seem all too lucky.</STRONG>

I was under the impression that the quality/material of the crossbow does not affect the damage done when something is shot with that crossbow; that is decided by the material/quality of the bolt used.
The only context an arifact crossbow is useful in is when the dwarf using it has run out of ammunition and proceeds to used their crossbow as a hammer, in which case you can expect righteous death to be handed to your enemies.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 08:55:00 am »

You could also get him into a fight with some ratmen (or another monster which exclusively does wrestling). If you're lucky, they'll grab his arm or something and cause him to drop his uber-bow. Yellow and even red wounds from ratmen wrestling seem to magically heal when the injured dwarf reaches a bed.

Oh, and my wood-choppers are expendable (There are elephants and big cats outside). My workshop workers, most of whom are legendary, don't do anything that might take them outside.

[ August 27, 2007: Message edited by: Shadowlord ]

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 10:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ktrey:
<STRONG>I've found offering [the dwarven caravan] crossbows helps attract marksdwarves</STRONG>

Read The Wiki
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

sinoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://sinoth.net
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 11:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Savok:
<STRONG>
Read The Wiki</STRONG>

Wow, you managed to link someone to the wiki on a sentence that wasn't even a question.  Why would you even attack him on a tactic he believes to be working?  Yeah, the wiki is awesome, and it would be beneficial for all players to read it in full.  However, a lot of people like to just play and experience rather than perusing a volume of information.  Next time you feel like leaving a non-constructive one line reply, try resisting the urge and you might leave a more positive impression.

[i do not regret]

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 11:42:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by sinoth:
<STRONG>

Wow, you managed to link someone to the wiki on a sentence that wasn't even a question.  Why would you even attack him on a tactic he believes to be working?  Yeah, the wiki is awesome, and it would be beneficial for all players to read it in full.  However, a lot of people like to just play and experience rather than perusing a volume of information.  Next time you feel like leaving a non-constructive one line reply, try resisting the urge and you might leave a more positive impression.</STRONG>

Thanks sinoth, that needed to be said and I was rather hesitant to bring it up.   The wiki is a fabulous resource, but many of us already have it a click away in our bookmarks (some of the charts for material values are rather handy, and I can never seem to remember how to keep my Ferite and Berite straight) and the specific topic of this thread isn't really present on the wiki. When I first began to play Dwarf Fortress I was well aware of the wiki, but when I see someone wanting to know how to unsuspend a bridge or cage an animal, it's just as easy to post a quick, helpful reply instead of digging through the wiki and linking it in your response. New players will eventually peruse the wiki on their own time. I'm hardly a new player.

This was posted to DF Dwarf Mode Discussion for that specific reason, to create Discussion on an otherwise odd phenomenon. If I had a question, I'm certain it would have been posted in another thread. Perhaps the DF Gameplay Questions board?

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 09:29:00 pm »

If something incorrect is said and believed, it will spread, thereby damaging a vast number of fortresses. I correct incorrect things.

Also, I don't go "digging through the wiki instead of posting a quick, helpful reply." I know exactly where nearly everything is in the wiki; all I need to do is click on a bookmark, type in a name, hit enter, and copypaste the URL of the page.
When there is a quick, short, helpful reply to give, I give it, in addition to the wiki link. I prefer to not copypaste the relevant section of text from the wiki, as the post is static but the wiki is dynamic.

So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2007, 02:50:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Havell:
<STRONG>I was under the impression that the quality/material of the crossbow does not affect the damage done when something is shot with that crossbow; that is decided by the material/quality of the bolt used.</STRONG>

Apparantly its both. This is why missile weapons are ridiculously deadly. Of course that how it works in real life. But the problem is the current damage is only a X modifier, when they stack together it gets out of hand.

quote:
Originally posted by Savok:
<STRONG>If something incorrect is said and believed, it will spread, thereby damaging a vast number of fortresses. I correct incorrect things.</STRONG>

Sorry but while your intention is good your method is bullshit. If you to correct people then you should explain exactly why they are wrong instead of just spouting off links to the wiki. Doing so does not even tell people what the problem is and where to find the solution and only serves to increase confusion.

Trading away crossbows will not increase the chance of getting marksdwarves. The wiki does NOT explain this.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Darkchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 11:36:00 am »

LOL maybe you two should stop arguing with eachother pointlessly   :roll:

And for anyone who is curious, you attract military dwarves of a certain type by making their kind of weapons. So make a mountain of dark stone swords for your traps and you will get lots of swordsdwarf immigrants.

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2007, 10:02:00 pm »

Are we absolutely sure the time-out period for artifacts is now 360 years? I could swear I had an artifact barrel being used without the creator dying or being attacked.

quote:

If something incorrect is said and believed, it will spread, thereby damaging a vast number of fortresses. I correct incorrect things.

See, my friend, that's total bull. How the hell is him talking about  trading something away going to "damage" his fortress or any others? I could see your point if he was saying "building doors will make your dwarves eat eachother's eyes" or "Fire is totally cool to have around", but not this junk. What he said isn't even really wrong. The actual act of creating the weapons is what gets you immigrants, so what's wrong with him trading them away.

Stop being so quick to jump on the wiki-bandwagon.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 04:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Slanted:
<STRONG>Are we absolutely sure the time-out period for artifacts is now 360 years? I could swear I had an artifact barrel being used without the creator dying or being attacked.</STRONG>

I'm inclined to think the artifact timer can vary by a great deal, possibly even  4.9 +/- years from the original 5 year timer, since that would explain how someone had their dwarf hit the timer within a month or two after making their artifact. Unless, of course, they were using an older version... even so, that still indicates a great deal of variability. If it were a couple months with the current 72x multiplier, that would mean normally, he would've dropped (or in this case continue to carry) his artifact a few seconds after making it. :P

Pages: [1] 2 3 4