Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Let's say Mars is inhabited. What are the results?  (Read 7928 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Let's say Mars is inhabited. What are the results?
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2015, 06:45:57 pm »

Also if we're sticking to the ant analogy the only reason I'd exterminate ants is if they were too close to home or in my home; otherwise I'd just study a few, abduct a few or feed a few to other bugs. Seeing as how we haven't found any aliums close to Earth I think we're good

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2015, 09:58:52 pm »

Also if we're sticking to the ant analogy the only reason I'd exterminate ants is if they were too close to home or in my home; otherwise I'd just study a few, abduct a few or feed a few to other bugs. Seeing as how we haven't found any aliums close to Earth I think we're good
Yeah, I think that's how humans would act against sentient aliens at least.
But of course, that doesn't mean its how sentient aliens would act. They might see all other sentient life as infestations to be cleared, or potential threats 10k years down the line when they tech up.
Anyone who's tried to clear out a Japanese Knotweed infestation will tell you that eradicating lesser lifeforms isn't as easy as you'd think.
It would be an expensive and long project to be sure. They would have to accelerate a meteorite fast enough to kill all large life on earth, or devise a specialized plague, or simply get a ship in orbit and drop 50 thousand nuclear bombs. Anything less would simply delay us for a time period until we get back on our feed. But much like getting rid of Japanese Knotweed, if you want to do it enough you can (eg. Simply dig out your entire backyard and fill it with 5 feet of solid concrete).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2015, 01:54:00 am »

Claiming a life form is lesser than oneself is pure ignorance.
Can you convert light into fuel?
Can you live without a brain?
Do you like breeding with yourself?
I would even go as far as to say most flora is more evolved than you, its been established here longer, stop closing your mind.
Just because a species has interstella travel doesnt mean they are more advanced.
Perhaps they found a rare element early in development. Or maybe they have a bacteria that eats away at space time creating worm holes.
Shit a super advanced race could have died leaving working tech and bob the alien found it!
So if you achived interstella travel and you found two planets (different systems) one with a seemingly lesser sentient race, the other with an obviously advanced civ and tech. What one would you land on and say hello and what one would you watch?
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2015, 02:07:52 am »

Well based on what people tell me, I've been doing that for years.

Well I dont mean to brag but... yeah.  Frequently.  Especially since my relationship went to "it's complicated".
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2015, 02:10:50 am »

Ohh gosh I just self pollinated... I dont feel like posting anymore, il be back in 10min
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2015, 02:20:06 am »

TMI
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2015, 05:41:03 am »

Yeah, I think that's how humans would act against sentient aliens at least.
But of course, that doesn't mean its how sentient aliens would act. They might see all other sentient life as infestations to be cleared, or potential threats 10k years down the line when they tech up.
Then we'll have to infest the fuck out of their lands before they can destroy us then, the best defence is a good infest

Claiming a life form is lesser than oneself is pure ignorance.
Objective facts

Can you convert light into fuel?
If you rule out what regular ol crop farming is then we've still got solar farms

I don't think this is a measure of a higher being

* Loud Whispers surpresses the yearn to make go fuck yourself jokes
Although we would have people cloning by now if people weren't a bloo bloo we can't do that it's inhumane for some reason

I would even go as far as to say most flora is more evolved than you, its been established here longer, stop closing your mind.
Just because a species has interstella travel doesnt mean they are more advanced.
Literally means they are more advanced

Perhaps they found a rare element early in development. Or maybe they have a bacteria that eats away at space time creating worm holes.
Shit a super advanced race could have died leaving working tech and bob the alien found it!
So if you achived interstella travel and you found two planets (different systems) one with a seemingly lesser sentient race, the other with an obviously advanced civ and tech. What one would you land on and say hello and what one would you watch?
Land on obviously advanced civ and say hello, let's get this hella party interstella

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2015, 06:06:57 am »

That they haven't changed much in all that time is the exact opposite of 'evolved'.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2015, 07:34:37 am »

When did interstellar travel make a species more advanced? technologicaly yes but still debatable.
An Ape can fire a pistol, perhaps even make one.
What Im saying is no one organisim is more important/advanced than any other.

That they haven't changed much in all that time is the exact opposite of 'evolved'.
True true, but they havnt needed to because evolution isnt about becoming super advanced. Its about survival baby.

Yeah crop farming is solar & mineral conversion but your body isnt doing it.

Cloning is a great idea and I am all for it! Fuck morality and soul mumbo jumbo, the uber rich already do it for replacement organs (if you dont believe me just think what youd do if death terrified you and had the resorces to do so)
and that way I could fuck myself  ;)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2015, 07:41:54 am »

Well yeah, no animals but apes make guns. And there are guns. So you can conclude that apes can in fact make guns.

So you're saying that capacity for tool use isn't a sign of a more advanced intelligence?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2015, 07:49:37 am »

What if humans did reproduce by abiotic pollination? Birth control would be an absolute nightmare.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2015, 08:09:11 am »

When did interstellar travel make a species more advanced? technologicaly yes but still debatable.
An interstellar traveling species is an interstellar traveling species. How is that not more advanced?

What Im saying is no one organisim is more important/advanced than any other.
And it's notable that the apes that learnt how to make and use pistols dominate the planet and have created civilization.

True true, but they havnt needed to because evolution isnt about becoming super advanced. Its about survival baby.
And I would not pause to communicate with a particularly hardy garden weed unless it had the capability to communicate and hold advanced sapient thought.

Bizarre sentiment. We are not perfectly biologically adapted to all the lands we live in, but through the use of our minds we overcame any built in limits. Where it is cold we wore furs and now wear space age insulated winter clothes; how strange it is to define a species' success not by its success or achievements but by its biology. And if we are talking about biology... Humans are pretty well adapted to planet Earth anyhow. Even if we had no civilization to drive us further than basic survival there'd still be no question who's on the top of the food chain.

Cloning is a great idea and I am all for it! Fuck morality and soul mumbo jumbo, the uber rich already do it for replacement organs (if you dont believe me just think what youd do if death terrified you and had the resorces to do so)
and that way I could fuck myself  ;)
Hahahahaha, I don't think rushing to the amoral extreme is the best way to do things either. Still, let's get dem clones going.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2015, 08:40:52 am »

Ok ok all of you smartypants  :D
All im saying is just cos a species is stronger than another in certain areas doesnt mean its stronger in all ways.
Ants have farms, crows use tools, apes invented the pistol (humans improved via rifling)
A species with interstellar travel and advanced sciences may have no spiritual or emotional intelligence, making us more advanced in that way, we have a part of our brain specificly for that so its obviously important to us though I cant say the same for a tomato

Edit: food chain has always bugged me, especially saying we are on top.. thats basicly saying we dont get eaten. Its more circular/spherical/webbed we all get consumed. Its an old archaic science term. Like the world being flat
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:48:10 am by That Wolf »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2015, 08:45:47 am »

What if humans did reproduce by abiotic pollination? Birth control would be an absolute nightmare.

A would assume going on a WAAARRGGH! takes care of that issue.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2015, 08:46:52 am »

apes invented the pistol (humans improved via rifling)

I... uh. Technically that statement is true, but the implication is that non-human apes invented the pistol and last I checked that's false.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8