Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interplayer Appraisal System  (Read 961 times)

cysten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Interplayer Appraisal System
« on: September 01, 2015, 02:40:49 pm »

Ok one of the coolest things about Dwarf Fortress is creating awesome architecture. The tiling and engravings on the fortress increase its value so why not arhcitecture to? Unfortuently there is no way for the computer to do this.

Having and interplayer appraisal system to appraise each others fortresses would be really fun. NOW I have other people to recognize how awesome my fortress is! Or not  >:(

So maybe to have your fortress appraised you have to appraise 10 others?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Interplayer Appraisal System
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 04:23:13 pm »

Doesn't sound like something that would ever happen. Unless DF becomes a multiplayer game (which it probably won't,) there's no reason for it to be accessing the internet. Not to mention the exploitability, and the fact it's wasted programming time for very little gain. If you want your fortress recognized, post pictures/saves of it on the forums.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 06:16:05 am »

Yeah, that sounds like a cheasy facebook game mechanic.  I don't want to log on to an internet account to play Dwarf Fortress. 

There was another topic about the machine recognizing megaprojects:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=149893.msg6142470#msg6142470
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

cysten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 06:25:10 pm »

Bumber's points are based on a lot of assumptions. I agree that having to do a login would be annoying. Toddy also has yet to implement an xml interface so I don't have high hopes. 

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 02:56:42 am »

I have little interest in reading feedback from questionably invested strangers, and I'll eat my shoe the day Toady lets random people affect the value of my fortress over the internet.

Have you visited the DFMA? It's a site that lets you upload and comment on Dwarf Fortress maps. Some of the most famous-for-their-design fortress are uploaded there, just check the top ten lists. It could always use more traffic.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 05:21:27 pm »

I think tallying the value of constructed things in the status screen would be enough.