Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Aira Plays Blightfall: My new LP on Youtube - Custom Music! Shaders! Good Times!  (Read 19472 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

I really like your style Sappho.  These are very enjoyable and rather informative about the mudpack/custom scenario, I hope to see more soon.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

Thanks for the feedback guys! Definitely let me know what length of episodes you prefer. I've been trying to make them short because I usually prefer shorter episodes and I assumed others did too, but I guess I should keep in mind that most people who are spending a lot of time playing games and watching videos aren't as busy as I am (2 jobs + social life + creative projects + Minecraft/other games = not much time for watching the YouTubes). It would be very easy to make these longer. Actually, it would probably be easier, since I could get more done per episode.

Speaking of which, I'm planning on starting mining in the next episode, and I'm torn on how to do it. Should I include it all (possibly sped up), or should I cut to interesting things happening? On a similar note, how do you guys feel about me doing some grindy stuff in between episodes rather than filming it all (such as building a pen for those cows and starting to terraform the inside of the dome a bit)? I feel like these things wouldn't be very interesting to watch, but I know some people might want to see everything I do...

I already have some good mining music composed. :) I'm really glad I decided to write music for this series. It's been a really nice creative experiment, and it gives me a reason to spend time on music I otherwise probably would just spend on playing more Minecraft.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Minecraft is a pretty chill game, really, so lots of it isn't actually exciting to watch on its own. It's the sum of the stuff that you do that is interesting, and the overall feel, rather than milestones or whatnot. So I'm quite fine watching you mine/fence/build/whatever.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Watch out if you do install Optifine - after installing it, I started to get normal mobs spawning in cleared areas that had previously been peaceful. Mob griefing is turned off so creepers can't actually wreck things, but I still lost a couple cows before I got everything lit properly. Also, there are many more slimes on the surface, and the thaumic slimes can shoot new slimes through the dome wall. Good for getting the 6 slime in a bucket for the paranormalist, bad for just about everything else.

I'm not sure why Optifine would change the spawning rules but I didn't install anything else at the same time.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

Are you sure it was because of Optifine? I've gotten vanilla hostiles spawning in cleared areas. It seems that once you've cleared a large enough area, and when you are the proper distance from an unlit cleared area, the monsters can spawn normally (although it seems only above-ground - I've yet to encounter any underground). I've also seen plenty of slimes in the swamp, and the thaumic slimes have always been able to shoot babies through the wall. I think you may have just experienced these by total coincidence at the same time as you installed optifine.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Again, really digging the soundtrack and its vague resemblance to iMuse Michael Land composed stuff, and also the fact that you get stuff done and don't amble about with pointless tutorials is really great too.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

Thanks! I'm really pleased that people seem to like this series. I'm really sorry that I'm so slow to make new episodes - the school year has just started for me and, as a teacher, that means most of my spare time has gone right out the window. I haven't managed to get a new episode filmed, but I'm hoping to do so over the next couple of days and (fingers crossed) get something up by the end of the week. I will make the episodes longer to compensate for the slow update schedule. Any other feedback, requests, etc., absolutely let me know. My audience is my boss. :)

Here's a question: if I put together some longer versions of my background music, would anyone be interested in downloading them as MP3s? I'm not thinking of selling them or anything, just putting them up for download somewhere under a Creative Commons license so others can enjoy / make use of them. Would that be worth doing? (Prioritizing the episodes first, obviously.)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

How about SoundCloud?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

A free SoundCloud account only allows you to upload a few tracks. Since I'm not making any money from this, I'm not going to pay for a subscription anywhere. I was thinking something more like BandCamp, where people could just get it for free, or donate if they felt like it, but no minimum price, free downloads to whoever. Or even just throwing them on DropBox and having them be straight up free downloads. In any case, I'm not worried right now about where I'd upload, just asking if it would be worth doing. As in, would people use it?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

Episode 3 is up at last!

https://youtu.be/wsOyYvkwynA

This one is about half an hour long. Let me know if this is a good length, or if I should make it longer, shorter, etc. And especially let me know if you want to watch everything, or if I should cut to the interesting parts / speed up the grindy bits. That will get much more important now as I start mining. People might prefer to skip that stuff and watch more of the exploration, etc. - but if you want to watch me mine, I'm happy to show you!

Also, as I progress, suggestions on how to do better will be most welcome. I'm terrible at all the progression, especially with tech, but also with things like thaumcraft. What do you think I should work toward first? I think I've learned how to do a lot in Thaumcraft from watching other videos, but I'm totally lost when it comes to tech. Suggest some goals and I'll choose some good ones - and of course I'll do plenty of exploration and go out and grab some of the secret stuff as soon as I have good enough equipment to not fear for my life.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile

Still doing well, constructive criticism time: The half-hour length feels good to me.  You were a bit unfocused in the early portion of the video, but around the mid-point you really took off and there was great energy.  I'm still really enjoying these. 
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I liked it. Good all around :)
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games

Thanks for the feedback! I know I was a little spacey at the start. Combination of factors - first off, I was just plain exhausted. I haven't had a day off of work since the weekend before last, so I've been really burnt out and it was hard to get started. The other issue is a more problematic one - I simply have trouble multitasking. I know women are supposed to be good at it, but for whatever reason, I'm just not. I'm sure you've noticed me start to say something then lose track of it almost immediately and struggle to remember what I was going to say. It's just difficult to play and talk at the same time. But I hope that will improve with practice.

I've decided I'm going to start making videos for other games, too. I have lots I enjoy playing and want to share, especially some less-known ones. I can do little video reviews to go with the written ones on my blog (especially since it seems the only post that gets hits on my blog is the Blightfall one). That's something I should be able to do more quickly and easily than the Blightfall ones, which I like to try to plan fairly carefully, needs research, and of course I have to compose the music for. Just to keep my channel a little more active. I wish I had a fast internet connection at home... It's a pain having to hold on to these videos until I'm in the office (only 3 days a week, Tu/Th/Fr).

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I liked this episode, the new length is good. Half an hour to about thirty five minutes is a good length.

As far as long term goals are concerned, you plan on making a smelter with that sand and clay, then are you gonna renovate the dome a little? Make sort of an underground bunker complex with a farm up top or something? You should totally make an underground base with all sorts of chisel tech blocks - but it might be resource intensive so I dunno.

Any plans as far as ranged weapon? Shortbow, longbow, crossbow?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Any plan to Play Blightfall With Mom? :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5