Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hunting  (Read 1555 times)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting
« on: September 01, 2015, 09:56:03 am »

I've been having some strange hunting issues: I made a handful of crossbows and stacks and stacks of wooden bolts, my hunters go out, expend 25 shooting buffalo, and don't kill it. I have a high master marksdwarf who is a master archer and hasn't killed anything. Furthermore, when they do kill something, there's a path error, that makes Urist McDeadeye cancel the Return Kill job and they don't bring it back.

What am I doing wrong?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 10:02:59 am »

Well. Wooden bolts went the best....there ok for early starts but your going to want at least bone, metal preferred.

As for pathing. I'm not sure. I have seen it acasionaly. Might just be buggy n that regard but I don't think it's common.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 10:04:23 am »

Cheers. I'm waiting for some more migrants to come along before starting metalworks, because otherwise it'll take an age with my idiot farmers.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 10:13:03 am »

I don't hunt myself, but wooden bolts are basically training ammo, and thus not very good for killing stuff, so even if all of the 25 wooden bolts find their mark, it doesn't mean the mark will go down, although it can happen. I expect bone ammo to be a little bit better, probably to a usable level.
If your hunter drops the catch you might get someone else to collect it if you change the refuse collection settings ('o'-'r'-'o' I think) to get the dorfs to collect bodies (and dump marked items) from the outside. Refuse collection requires you to have a refuse stockpile to which they can haul the carcass (and the butcher then would collect it there to cut it up; dorfs aren't up to current sanitary standards). If you don't have a refuse stockpile to receive the carcass you can use a dump area and dump designate the body instead. Someone said the butcher shop will collect bodies from within 50 tiles or so. Note, however, that you need to un'f'orbid the body when it has been dumped, or the butcher won't touch it (if you've got a refuse stockpile a dorf will probably haul it there before the butcher can get to it as soon as you unforbid it).
It seems refuse hauling dorfs are so cool about their task that the body they're hauling isn't subjected to rot while carried, even if it takes a month to haul that Rutherer body out of the cavern it fell in.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 10:15:24 am »

Keep in mind that archers get experience for every shot they take, not how much damage they deal, so wooden bolts aren't necessarily bad in that respect. They are also easy to make.  Making copper bolts is a good way to train weaponsmiths.

I believe in one of the menu screens you can increase the number of bolts hunters carry to 100 but I don't remember where that is.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 10:26:41 am »

m > f is what you're talking about I believe. The number is for the whole squad, so adjust accordingly.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 02:53:16 pm »

And the number of bolts they actually pick up is limited. If you're lucky they might pick up as many as 35, but usually they won't take more than 25 regardless of whether the specified number to dorf allotment is higher.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 03:10:16 pm »

I've had issues with dwarven hunters fleeing in terror halfway across the map every time that they deplete their quivers- is this a general issue, or is it somehow tied to the specific dwarf's personality traits?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 03:24:56 pm »

No, they all do that.  It's very annoying, but doesn't really cause any issues other than spamming the logs.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2015, 05:43:43 pm »

No, they all do that.  It's very annoying, but doesn't really cause any issues other than spamming the logs.

It causes significantly slower animal product gathering; I would call that an issue!

Also the behavior of fliers and their interaction with military/hunting dwarves needs attention. Right now hunting basically ceases when a group of fliers enter the map and archers are not able to locate fliers effectively. With the inclusion of multistory trees, there's no reason for most in-game fliers not to spend most of their time perched instead of flying around aimlessly and unrealistically and causing tons of pathing issues. Heavier species like vultures and ducks, should alternate between a grounded mode and a flight mode and should not switch to flight mode casually.

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 08:31:35 am »

my hunters go out, expend 25 shooting buffalo, and don't kill it.

What am I doing wrong?

1. hunting quite large prey with underpowered weapons.
2. permitting your hunters to wander all over your map, rather than using burrows or some other method to constrain them to a part of the map that will allow them to return the prey to the butchers workshop
3. not using cage traps to catch the buffalo so you can tame them and breed them. feeding and slaughtering domestic animals is far simpler than hunting.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 01:23:31 pm »

Put a refuse stockpile set only to accept corpses by the butcher's shop and set dwarves to gather refuse from outside. This will ensure carcasses make it to the butchery.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 03:58:42 pm »

Well, it will also get the troll/elf/goblin... corpses that scare the dorfs hauled there, so you should selectively disable the sentient creatures you have detected from that stockpile, unless you use a manual dump designation to get them hauled elsewhere.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 04:04:52 pm »

I just dump them in magma when the sentients pile up. I don't bother going through *every* unbutcherable creature.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Morcaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2015, 06:21:20 pm »

I also have issues with hunting. My hunter will not pick up ammo.

I have ammo to be picked up after use.

I have over 200 steel bolts just sitting on the ground and in a stockpile without bins.

Hunter has a quiver and a crossbow equipped.

In dwarf therapist in the 'equipment' section his box is blue, and it says 'missing ammo' 

I have no idea why his not picking up ammo.

I tried un-assigning his hunting skill, removed ammo from military screen from hunters, removed all stockpiles, unpaused and waited until he dropped everything, made one stockpile (1x1) for one stack of steel ammo. and the rest just on the ground. gave 100 steel bolts of ammo in ammo screen for hunters, gave him hunting skill. and still does not pick up ammo.

There is prey on the map. Help?

Pages: [1] 2