Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Blightfall - someone broke the world plz fix  (Read 30653 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Re: Blightfall - someone broke the world plz fix
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2015, 01:34:32 am »

Just spent some more time mining. Seems to be the only useful thing I know how to do... I took a look at that EM stuff and I feel like a caveman trying to operate the Mars rover. How did you guys learn how to use that stuff anyway? Is it all in the Thaumonomicon? Did you watch/read a tutorial somewhere? I would need someone to go through it with me and teach me how it works. For now I'm afraid to touch it. So I went mining, found some good stuff (bunch of diamonds, some deep iron, and a few blocks of yellorite ore). Dropped most of the ores in Beta at the smeltery (that area needs more blooms, by the way - the taint is creeping in) and the stuff I thought might be useful at Delta I put in the chest in the little Thaumcraft library area (including the yellorite).

Can we start producing more blooms now? Or is it time to make totems of dawn? I've seen them made on LP videos, but I don't know how to get all the essentia (and as I said, I don't want to touch the automated stuff without a walkthrough).

Don't feel useless! The ME network seems a lot more complicated at first glance than it actually is. I used [urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjrMS4EhBEU]this[/url]tutorial, which explains the basics pretty well. If you have any questions after that, I'f be happy to answer to the best of my ability. For just using it, it works as a very large chest that can be accessed from any of the terminals connected to the network. It also includes essentia storage that is hooked up to the alchemical construct and will supply it with any needed essentia.

The next task is to gather 10 ethereal blooms for the a quest in the paranormalist section of the quest book. It takes 10 blooms and gives 20 as a reward, so it doubles our blooms once, which is pretty neat. Then it's on to building dawn totems and eventually the dawn machine. Personally I also want to experiment a bit with some other mods but that's more out of being curious about how they work rather than directly contributing to cleaning the planet.

Whoa. Holy crap, that IS complicated. (Your link tag is broken by the way, but I copy+pasted the link.) I suppose once you spend some time with it it will seem less complicated, but jesus, man. They really gloss over a lot of stuff in that video that people who are used to tech mods will probably understand easily, but I've never used any tech mods, so I'm super lost. Then there's that reactor thing - absolutely no idea how that works, either.

It's funny, in meatspace I'm used to being quite a bit more intelligent than most of the people around me (not a boast, just a fact). People are always angry at me for understanding things quickly and learning new things easily, and having so many skills. But whenever I see B12ers on Minecraft, I feel like a monkey in a room full of nuclear physicists going "yeah, sure, those buttons DO look shiny, but why don't we have a poop-flinging fight instead? Doesn't that sound fun?"

I haven't followed the tech quest line at all yet - does it include any kind of tutorial? I feel like I understand quest-style tutorials much better than videos where people rush through all the steps in a process quickly and without any details. I need it all broken down into tiny pieces or I get lost. Now I just need to go remind myself how many languages I speak and that I'm not a retarded chimp after all... XP

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2015, 01:42:48 am »

there are two kinds of people who play minecraft

to be fair, every kind of person plays minecraft, so i guess there's gotta be at least two kinds in there

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2015, 02:10:42 am »

Yeah, I think there are quite a few kinds of people who play Minecraft, really. B12 just seems to have a higher-than-usual proportion of ones who like efficiency, systems, and automation - building machines, I guess. Engineer-types. I am decidedly *not* an engineer-type. Whenever a modpack gives me a way to automate something, I usually just shrug my shoulders and do it manually. The mining, for example - I enjoy it. If we had quarries, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I like exploring, discovering, and experiencing, above all. I do like some building, but I'm not good at it. My favorite mods are the ones like HarvestCraft that let you farm loads of different stuff and cook tons of food, and Mystcraft that lets you explore crazy random worlds.

I found another video that helped me a lot more in understanding the AE setup, though. This one is more my level: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P5Jc5o0N8M

I tend to get extremely immersed in games. For some reason I seem to be extra-sensitive to the sounds in a game, so even though I'm not afraid of fighting Minecraft zombies, when I hear them moan my whole body goes cold and I feel an intense need to run away. That's one thing I like about this pack - the monsters don't make scary noises, so I'm not afraid to go kill them. XD

So maybe I can be most useful by doing the sort of grindy work that others want to automate but we aren't allowed to automate in this pack. Mining seems to be a big one - I can keep doing that. I wouldn't mind making ethereal blooms, too, if someone wants to explain to me specifically what I need to do. I know how to do it with a simple alembic and a cauldron, but I'd be willing to bet you guys have got a more efficient method. Do we not have 10 ethereal blooms already? I'm sure we do, if you pick up the ones at Delta (and maybe the one at Beta). You can just put them back down again after you complete the quest. If we don't have enough, I can try to make some more - again, I just need to be told the best way to do so.

By the way, it seems it should be possible to pick up tainted soil and crusted taint with silk touch. Has anyone got a tool with silk touch? Or do we have an enchanting table? (If not, I suppose I could make one.) That would make collecting the Vitium for the blooms a lot easier than having to farm goo and tendrils from mobs (and having them decay and poison me).

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2015, 03:30:39 am »

All right, sorry if I sounded like an ass when I said applied energistics was easier than it looks. It's just that I have a firm belief that no one is incapable of understanding these things. I tend to forget that some people find it a lot more difficult than others. I totally understand enjoying exploration, I really enjoy that too, but for me that also includes exploring all the really cool systems all these technical mods add. I'm really looking forward to trying to set up a botania mana distribution and storage system, for instance. The best part is that all of these interlocking mod systems all totally new to me, I haven't really modded minecraft before so I'm just a little bit giddy about all these mods.

Anyway, the alchemical construct is really just a cauldron with a UI. The left slot takes the catalyst, which will make the right slot show what you can make from it. It's possible to cycle between different outputs, but I'm not sure there is any catalyst that actually makes multiple things. At any rate you need to click the result to lock it into the construct, which will then show a list of the required essentia. This essentia then needs to be provided through essentia tubes. If we didn't have the ME network this is pretty fiddly, with moving warded jars around a lot, but now it just takes what it needs out of the network instead. After a little while the output plops out the front, into the chest.

The silk touch idea is a good one. I believe there is a modification from Tinker's construct that adds silk touch so we can forego the enchantment table. The recipe should be in one of the green material books.

Finally, when I tried logging in yesterday I got errors from a long list of mods. I assumed the server had been updated, so I updated the mod pack. Now I can't log on due to errors from three mods, which is an improvement, I guess. What version is the server running? Can I download old versions through the technic launcher?
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2015, 04:17:32 am »

Nah, you didn't sound like an ass, I just seem to be in a minority of B12ers who has serious trouble understanding how all this works (or, that is, I have serious trouble figuring it out on my own - once it's explained to me step by step I usually do fine), and it's all a little bewildering. In the past, I've just never seen the point of automation, so I never learned how it works. Once you have machines to do everything for you, what's the point of the game? But now I can see how sometimes it's necessary, like when you're making higher-level stuff. I'm sure I'm quite capable of learning it, but as of now I'm pretty lost.

Regarding the server version, no, it hasn't been updated yet. It's still on 2.1.2. You can set the version in the modpack options, and then you can connect to the server after it "updates" to the earlier version. (I did the same thing.)

I just did some more mining, but I didn't find much of use this time and the server is laggier than usual (or it might be my connection, which has been extra-slow lately) so I've given up for the moment. I did take a look at the alchemical construct and such. I think I understand some of it. I put the catalyst in - it was pretty obvious where that should go. The ethereal bloom showed up, faded, and I clicked it, but then nothing seemed to happen other than the needed essentia showing up in the bottom. Maybe I needed to wait a while. I'll have to play with it more later. I saw the purple square thing (terminal? something like that) and opened it to see all the essentia we have. I'm not clear on how this essentia storage network thing was made or how the essentia travels from the storage to the alchemical construct. Also, I see the alchemical furnace and also an alchemical boiler - what's the difference? Once I've got that figured out, I'll start producing some more ethereal blooms to take to Beta, which is really getting overrun now. I suppose I shouldn't use up all the essentia though, since we need it to produce totems of dawn, right? Maybe I can try to figure out how to do that, actually. Is the altar connected to the network?

Has anyone started setting up Botania yet? That's one mod that I feel a bit more comfortable with, having experience with it from Regrowth. (And it being nature magic, it fits more with my idea of Minecraft and doesn't scare me off as easily as the tech mods. ;) ) There are some really useful items you can make with it that I'd like to make soon, but of course we should decide on one place to set it all up, if it's not already done.

Also, has anyone explored the underwater lab by the swamp yet? I was thinking I'd like to clear the water out of the middle and make an entrance with a ladder, so we can go in and out and actually use that space even though there's no teleporter there. I know it's probably not necessary now, we have the altar at Delta and such, but it's just a cool place and I might sort of make it my home once it's cleared out and untainted. There are also some needed Botania flowers down there, if we haven't gotten them yet.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2015, 04:34:21 am »

There's a few lexicas botania lying around... I couldn't get any mystical white flowers, but I think there's a pure daisy in the village near beta anyway

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2015, 04:47:57 am »

We definitely have some pure daisies. I got a few from the greatwood tree lab near Omega. I'm not sure where they all are at the moment, but there are some around somewhere.

Where should we set up Botania then? I remember discussing doing it on the swamp island, though we'd have to clear out all the trees and such first (we'll need a lot of space).

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2015, 06:00:45 am »

Hey, I'm getting on in the next couple of minutes. I'm not really sure what Blightfall has changed, it seems similar to Hubris and the like though. Please excuse if I end up bumbling around, I won't break (or steal) anything.

A Silky Gem is 8 string surround an Emerald, and it gives the Silk Touch property to a TiC Tool (and Damage Down and Mining Speed Down).

I'm in Alpha, I think I'll log off for now and wait for other people to come online. Def one of the more cooperative maps.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:19:54 am by Jiokuy »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2015, 06:43:36 am »

Hey, I'm getting on in the next couple of minutes. I'm not really sure what Blightfall has changed, it seems similar to Hubris and the like though. Please excuse if I end up bumbling around, I won't break (or steal) anything.

A Silky Gem is 8 string surround an Emerald, and it gives the Silk Touch property to a TiC Tool (and Damage Down and Mining Speed Down).

I'm in Alpha, I think I'll log off for now and wait for other people to come online. Def one of the more cooperative maps.

There aren't too many people playing at the moment and we all seem to be pretty busy with other things, so I wouldn't wait for others to come on. Also wouldn't worry about "stealing" really. We all have to work together, and there seem to be plentiful resources at this point, so I think you're safe just taking what you need - others can correct me if there's something they want left untouched.

You'll have to travel a lot at first to unlock all the teleporters, but if you make it to Beta, there's a smeltery there with plenty of ore you can use. At Delta there is all the Thaumcraft stuff, including the altar and all kinds of techy stuff I'm trying to learn how to use which automates a lot of things. When you die, you'll keep your items, but you'll lose reputation from the quest book. So be careful, but also feel free to run around and explore (you'll need to anyway), especially if you can get some armor together first. If you're new to the pack/map, you can also check out my video series for Blightfall (there's a thread for it in this subforum) or watch one of the many other LPs that will walk you through a lot of things.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2015, 11:23:28 am »

LoSbo could you try to nuke all my player data from the server? I wanna start on site omega but now I found out game won't let me switch site, and swimming to the dome is rather tricky.

Dome has been breached. I am in omega.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:48:08 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2015, 07:54:58 pm »

I just finished connecting the infusion altar to the ME network. Infusion should be way less annoying now.

I just did some more mining, but I didn't find much of use this time and the server is laggier than usual (or it might be my connection, which has been extra-slow lately) so I've given up for the moment. I did take a look at the alchemical construct and such. I think I understand some of it. I put the catalyst in - it was pretty obvious where that should go. The ethereal bloom showed up, faded, and I clicked it, but then nothing seemed to happen other than the needed essentia showing up in the bottom. Maybe I needed to wait a while. I'll have to play with it more later. I saw the purple square thing (terminal? something like that) and opened it to see all the essentia we have. I'm not clear on how this essentia storage network thing was made or how the essentia travels from the storage to the alchemical construct. Also, I see the alchemical furnace and also an alchemical boiler - what's the difference? Once I've got that figured out, I'll start producing some more ethereal blooms to take to Beta, which is really getting overrun now. I suppose I shouldn't use up all the essentia though, since we need it to produce totems of dawn, right? Maybe I can try to figure out how to do that, actually. Is the altar connected to the network?

You used the construct correctly, at least it was set up correctly when I got on. It takes a little while to do it's thing, though. Especially if the item requires several types of essentia. The difference between the boiler and the furnace is that the boiler takes liquids and the furnace takes items. The boiler is handy for distilling milk to get sano, for example. Totems of dawn would be sweet. I think we need more order shards to make one, though.

Has anyone started setting up Botania yet? That's one mod that I feel a bit more comfortable with, having experience with it from Regrowth. (And it being nature magic, it fits more with my idea of Minecraft and doesn't scare me off as easily as the tech mods. ;) ) There are some really useful items you can make with it that I'd like to make soon, but of course we should decide on one place to set it all up, if it's not already done.

The only thing I know is done from botania is a petal apothecary at beta. Nothing else has been done, to my knowledge.

Also, has anyone explored the underwater lab by the swamp yet? I was thinking I'd like to clear the water out of the middle and make an entrance with a ladder, so we can go in and out and actually use that space even though there's no teleporter there. I know it's probably not necessary now, we have the altar at Delta and such, but it's just a cool place and I might sort of make it my home once it's cleared out and untainted. There are also some needed Botania flowers down there, if we haven't gotten them yet.

I tried getting down there once and drowned :P. It does look like a cool place, and if you would enjoy getting down there, I say go for it.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2015, 12:55:44 am »

Is there a particular area where order shards can be found? I can do my mining wherever they most commonly spring up, if so. Otherwise I'll just keep mining and hope.

So if I put a bucket of milk in the boiler, we don't lose the bucket? That is hugely helpful! Turning all the milk into cream to save buckets is tedious and wastes half the sano. I'll have to keep this in mind for my singleplayer world, too, for the LP. Make that an early goal. In fact, now that I see how easily this automated alchemy stuff works once it's set up, I'll have to try to figure out how to make it all as early as possible so I can produce a bunch of ethereal blooms and start expanding my homestead.

If I have enough time to spend on the server today, maybe I'll try to set up the start of botania. It'll only generate mana while someone is nearby (until we get a chunkloader), but the sooner we get it set up, the sooner we can make cool stuff like the sojourner's sash, rod of the lands, and snowflake pendant.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2015, 01:16:07 am »

It's not wasting any sano, there's no sano to be wasted, it's infinite that way...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2015, 02:21:52 am »

Well, what I mean is, a bucket of milk is 2 sano. If you process it into cream, it's only 1 sano. Yes, it's infinite, but you lose half the sano amount and it takes double the time/effort to produce. So if we can get the sano straight from the milk without losing the bucket, we quadruple our sano output.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2015, 07:54:43 am »

It seems that the server is dead. I'm getting refused connection.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9