Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did you know...  (Read 1147 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did you know...
« on: January 18, 2008, 10:49:00 am »

I thought I'd make a thread where people could share things you can do in DF that aren't readily apparent.

For example, when you're in the designation menu, you can draw your designation with the mouse. I'm sure a lot of people figured this out on their own, but I had no idea you could do that.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
Re: Did you know...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:56:00 am »

As someone who always just Chucked his dwarfs to rot out in the sunshine i was suprised to see that a dwarfs clothes are put in their tomb with them. Does this happen with all belongings? (the dwarf in question had gone crazy and stripped naked)
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Adder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 09:55:00 pm »

The clothes in the tomb are a bug. The last item in inventory doesn't drop at the site of death and doesn't show up until until the dwarf is buried. If you're dumping goblins, you'll see cloaks(melee), gloves(ranged),  or bolts showing up, and bolts with animals killed by hunters.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

Did you know?... looking at detailed items while in adventure mode, such as engraved walls or decorated items, will give you much more information than in Dwarf Mode, and will allow you to look up the decoration in the Legends Screen.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 11:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Adder:
<STRONG>The clothes in the tomb are a bug. The last item in inventory doesn't drop at the site of death and doesn't show up until until the dwarf is buried. If you're dumping goblins, you'll see cloaks(melee), gloves(ranged),  or bolts showing up, and bolts with animals killed by hunters.</STRONG>

While there may be a bug, things going into the tomb is how it is supposed to be. If a dwarf has no tomb, and either is left to rot or stuck in a normal grave then his stuff goes to the fortress and other dwarves take it. However if he has a tomb all his possessions are stuffed in there with him, on the floor if need be.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 03:59:00 am »

Did you know you can cancel hauling jobs from the "J"obs menu?  I use it to get "Haul to Trade Depot" jobs taken instead of general hauling jobs.

Okay, you already knew that ... well how about this:
"O"rders menu, command "x" is "All Job Cancellation".

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 11:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Forumsdwarf:
<STRONG>Did you know you can cancel hauling jobs from the "J"obs menu?  I use it to get "Haul to Trade Depot" jobs taken instead of general hauling jobs.</STRONG>

That's a good one! I never really payed to much attention to the jobs screen; except for the manager portion.

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 11:23:00 am »

Did you know... that "Gandalf" is an old Norse word meaning "Staff-elf", and it is listed as being the name of a dwarf in Snorri's Poetic Edda? He must get teased a lot, poor fellow. "Staff-elf McDwarf has been unhappy lately. He has been teased about his name recently."

I know, I know, it has nothing to do with Dwarf Fortress. I was just itching to tell somebody about that.