Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best attack plan in history  (Read 1505 times)

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best attack plan in history
« on: March 26, 2008, 05:13:00 pm »

Two goblin ambushes attack my fort, each of melee troops. I send in my single squad of nearly max stat axemen.

They charge the goblins as a unified group, and as soon as they meet the goblins, they start chopping. After killing 2, the "dodge" the goblin's attacks by jumping into the nearby lake and getting shot by the third ambush of archers.

This is total bull. I spent 2 years training these guys, and the best they can do is jump in a lake. Not just one of them, but 4 of them jump into the 14 tile big pond and drown/get shot.

The dodging system needs an update.

Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best attack plan in history
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

You think that's bad, I lots three marksdwarves because they leapt into the caldera rather than be next to a fire imp.

They were drowning before they burned to death.

Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

That's nothing.  I lost my best adventurer because I hit Give in to Starvation instead of Save Game, and every adventurer since him has had Parkinson's Disease.

No joke, one of them was strangled to death by an elf.
STRANGLED
By an
ELF

[ March 26, 2008: Message edited by: Muffles ]

Shoes...

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:12:00 pm »

Maybe the goblins made some sort of joke, like Yo Momma is so bearded, even the circus freaks won't hang out with her.

Then they got depressed and jumped.

igless

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »

I absolutely always dig a stairway to every single pool of water on my map when I start. Ever since I lost about 10 champions to a single pool with a drowning goblin in it.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

It's not their fault. The outer world's just not built well enough for dwarven standards. I mean, any competent architect would have put some grates or safety flooring over his pits and pools to prevent that kind of thing. And what do we get in this "Outside" place? Frigging *swamps*, and shrubs that don't even grow in caves! The building contract for your continent probably just went to the lowest bidder, is all.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 11:18:00 pm »

If your dwarves think the outside world isn't safe, you clearly aren't building your fortress properly. Where's the one-wide bridges arcing between towers precariously perched on the edges of volcanos, everything supported by a single pillar with an attached lever for when doomsday comes?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hypcso:
<STRONG>I lost about 10 champions to a single pool with a drowning goblin in it.</STRONG>

Ouch.

I keep thinking of training my army in swimming, but not getting around to it.  Maybe I'll up the priority...

But generally I never really let my army far out of the gates.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 06:00:00 am »

The general rule is, an army standing outside your defensive line is sacrificing itself to death. Technically, anything after the first year outside is prime for death.

So... don't go outside.

Hypcso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:22:00 am »

I have about 25 military at the moment, they are capable of taking on a force of goblins head to head. Even bowgoblins usually. I haven't lost one to a siege in some years although I normally have a few beaten up and resting at the end ( mostly from said bowgoblins ) so I prefer to station my marksdwarves in the archer tower and let them sort it out.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 11:00:00 am »

I have 27 dwarves in my military, largely because I haven't anything better to do with them. Sure, I could just build rank upon rank of traps to deal with anything that got too close, but that'd be boring. And frankly, I don't need it; my military took out a titan without receiving a single injury (well, the captain of the guard got a little tired, I guess).

I do have some traps as an emergency fallback, but aside from a "secret entrance" that I really don't want to have to bother with guarding, they're all pretty weak traps - two ranks of one iron spiked ball each.