Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: kids, are they really children? or just mini adult dorfs?  (Read 3111 times)

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
kids, are they really children? or just mini adult dorfs?
« on: August 30, 2015, 12:21:46 am »

there was once a bone carver who went insane after trying to build an artifact, and lashed out at a nearby child, knocking it unconscious, the child's friend who will be called child2, decided the best thing to do would be to knock out the insane bone carver that just knocked out his friend. and keeping him that way until the local militia came to dispatch the Insane criminal.

Is it just me or are these kids really good at fighting?   
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 12:30:30 am by Fawnek »
We all have an Urist in our lives.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
Re: kids, are they really children? or just mini adult dorfs?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 12:41:26 am »

Do you think there is any reason dwarven children should not be good at fighting?
They are dwarves after all, and they live in a very dangerous world.

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 01:01:18 am »

Do you think there is any reason dwarven children should not be good at fighting?
They are dwarves after all, and they live in a very dangerous world.
because they would be smaller than a normal dorf... and less muscular considering they are children.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 01:26:47 am »

But being smaller the are more agile and harder to hit.

EuphoriaToRegret

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
    • My Newgrounds Art
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 02:43:27 am »

But being smaller the are more agile and harder to hit.

But wouldn't agility be effected by regular, horrific dwarvish life training?

I mean, something being smaller doesn't mean it's faster. Especially dwarves, considering they are already small in comparison to most creatures.
As you said, dwarves live in dangerous world. Wouldn't a fully grown dwarf be much stronger, smarter, and faster than a say... 6 year old dwarf?
Not to mention that a child would also take more damage and dish less damage out.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 03:41:39 am »

Technically children are just smaller adults who have their labors artificially restricted. Attributes are assigned at birth and won't change except by training a skill that raises a specific attribute.

Their smaller size of course affects some things in combat but like any civilian dwarf they can engage and even kill opponents bigger than themselves, especially when in groups. I have seen a bunch of three year olds beat a giant to death.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 08:19:07 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 03:57:45 am »

A 13 year old savage dwarf child brought up freely roaming the untamed wilds should be quite capable of knocking out a 90 year old fat bone carver who's been stuck in his workshop whittling for several years.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:59:45 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 04:45:05 am »

A 13 year old savage dwarf child brought up freely roaming the untamed wilds should be quite capable of knocking out a 90 year old fat bone carver who's been stuck in his workshop whittling for several years.
HE HAS ONE JOB, AND HE DID IT WELL

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 12:28:05 pm »

Unarmed combat in general is very bizarre, which is leads to this sort of oddness (and is also more than likely the root cause of undead being so damn OP)
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 08:05:38 am »

Unarmed combat in general is very bizarre, which is leads to this sort of oddness (and is also more than likely the root cause of undead being so damn OP)

Undead barehanded are deadly.  Undead wielding a garment?  They can slaughter legions of legendary steel-clad warriors.  Even five-named hammerlords can be brought low by the dreaded xcave spider silk sockx.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 06:36:34 pm »

I heard a story about a fortress that got destroyed by demons where almost everybody was killed instantly, except for one child who managed to keep dodging all the attacks of the demon horde for a whole 8 months. Migrants even showed up and quickly died to demons, but the kid kept dodging. I'd guess they ended up starting with maximum agility, spatial sense, and kinesthetic sense and then just got incredibly lucky until eventually they reached legendary skill and just kept on going. So yeah, children are basically small adults, their attributes are at the same level as an average adult dwarf so you can very easily end up with 1 year olds that can kill adults with just their fists.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Fawnek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 09:33:22 pm »

I heard a story about a fortress that got destroyed by demons where almost everybody was killed instantly, except for one child who managed to keep dodging all the attacks of the demon horde for a whole 8 months. Migrants even showed up and quickly died to demons, but the kid kept dodging. I'd guess they ended up starting with maximum agility, spatial sense, and kinesthetic sense and then just got incredibly lucky until eventually they reached legendary skill and just kept on going. So yeah, children are basically small adults, their attributes are at the same level as an average adult dwarf so you can very easily end up with 1 year olds that can kill adults with just their fists.
is it known in the bugs or no? ill go check if not ill make it so the children get beaten like they deserve.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 01:04:49 am »

is it known in the bugs or no? ill go check if not ill make it so the children get beaten like they deserve.
Bug?

I'd wager that if you were a 6 storey tall mass of smoke and hate you'd have a hard time grabbing, let alone hitting a greased up tiny 6 year old.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 02:39:11 am »

Also, if a child manages to train Dodge skill to high enough level he/she becomes very hard to hit and can gradually punch even the largest monster to death with his/her tiny mitten clad fists while dodging every single attack. That's just how the combat system works, with the new pulping mechanics and all.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 02:44:01 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2015, 05:09:42 am »

Also, if a child manages to train Dodge skill to high enough level he/she becomes very hard to hit and can gradually punch even the largest monster to death with his/her tiny mitten clad fists while dodging every single attack. That's just how the combat system works, with the new pulping mechanics and all.
It also highlights how pulping is one-sided: the child's fists will never get pulped along with the target.

Hmm, does pulping still work against inorganic materials, e.g. Bronze Colossus?
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.
Pages: [1] 2