Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some Water Questions  (Read 1112 times)

Paul Roberts

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Some Water Questions
« on: January 18, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

Hello!  This is my first post, although I've been losing at Dwarf Fortress for about a year now.

I have some questions about water:

1) Do rivers/brooks flow in a particular direction?  Is there an "upstream" and "downstream" direction, and how can you tell which is which?

2) Related to the above, is it possible to contaminate a river or other moving water, or does contamination only apply to still water?  Should I worry about dumping waste-water from my fortress back into the river (especially upstream from where it enters the fort)?

3) What are the things that can contaminate water?  What makes water murky, and how can I best avoid murkiness in my wells?

Thanks!

jonnym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some Water Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:05:00 pm »

(1)
I beleive that if you pause you can one-step time and watch the direction of the ripples, its what i do to work out flow.

(2)
dont worry at all, i dump loads of refuse in my river and havent experianced any side effects.

(3)
Murky water is water which hasnt flowed in a while try connecting your well to the river it should replace the murky water

just dont make a ubend beware! the waters!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

On the U-bend thing, is this in Z-axis and X/Y?  or is it just a  Z-axis bug?

panoptiC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Roberts:
<STRONG>
1) Do rivers/brooks flow in a particular direction?  Is there an "upstream" and "downstream" direction, and how can you tell which is which?
</STRONG>

Fairly easy. If you check your ini and turn [SHOW_FLOW_AMOUNTS:YES] you'll see it right away. The influx will show 7's and on the end is the occasional 6 or 5. To be sure dig one channel near the river, the flow will instantly show which end is which.

R

Udil Nakuthcog now commands "The Golden Rims".

Demosthenes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 05:23:00 pm »

1) Yes. If you say, dump a bleeding corpse (Or kill something in the river) The direction the blood flows will show you which way it flows. Or you could look at the ripples, or look at the depths at each side of the river.

2) I think blood contaminates rivers, That'll generally just wash downstream. You'll be fine.

3) Don't worry about it. Murky Pools are what happens when one of the ponds dries up.

quote:
On the U-bend thing, is this in Z-axis and X/Y? or is it just a Z-axis bug?  

Z axis

[ January 18, 2008: Message edited by: Demosthenes ]

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

Ah, okay.