Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trees  (Read 796 times)

Flok Speargrabber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trees
« on: March 26, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

I've been wondering, how does DF handle tree generation? There's never so many that it becomes unmanageable, but they grow at a steady enough rate to supply wood, in most cases. The placing of trees seems to be random, too. Do the trees pollinate with one another, and a new tree is created near them, or does the game check for usable areas and randomly puts a sapling there?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Trees
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 07:52:00 pm »

I might do more with it when I get to flowers/fruit/other veg info, but right now it just searches for areas that haven't used up their allotment of soil water.  That number depends on the average rainfall of the map square.  Trees use more than shrubs, but those numbers are still hardcoded.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

mutant mell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 08:51:00 pm »

Wow, and here I just thought it was all handled completely randomly. Very cool.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

I guess that explains why untouched regions of the map never seem to get too overgrown for caravan travel, even after years 'n' years. This kind of invisible layer is why I love this game... and that Toady even *considers* things like adding flowers and fruit just makes the whole thing even better.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 11:46:00 pm »

Is it just me, or does this imply that heavily harvesting is the way to maximize tree growth?

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 12:39:00 am »

That would work but you'd have to manage traffic so your saplings weren't being trampled.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 01:20:00 am »

Ah, that explains why marshes in here have trees,  both marshes and swamps are heavily laden with water, which means in turn, suggests that there are more squares with water holding.

Indeed, that is very cool.